Aluminum Trailer - Need help

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Neo
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Aluminum Trailer - Need help

Post by Neo »

Hi Gents,

I'm looking to make my own trailer out of Aluminum taking full inspiration from the factory Ali trailer plus a few enhancements of my own. But I really need some measurements to put me on track. If you have a Macgregor Aluminum Trailer would you be able to help me by making some measurements? .... Or if you live anywhere near Sydney Australia (North or South 100Klm) I'd happy come to your place and make all the measurements myself.

Once I've drawn up a measurement diagram I'll share it here to make it easy for anyone to get quotes for a replacement trailer. I've already done one for the steel trailer.

All the best.
Neo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Aluminum Trailer - Need help

Post by Jimmyt »

Will have to get more details later - out of time today.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Absolutely and utterly brilliant Jimmy :) .... I still have more measurements to gather but your measurements have given me a flying start. ... If you have any way of accurately measuring those two I-Beam bends you'll be hero for sure 8)

My drawings so far for a single axle ...

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

https://postimg.cc/gallery/nh5bomy6/

See if you can get the images. Have a few additional details. More to come as I get time. Last bunk on sketch is the axle bunk.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Just to ask: When you do it like original: How will you form the frame? Do you have a press to do this an how?
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Jimmyt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:55 amLast bunk on sketch is the axle bunk.
Thanks Jimmy. I've got the images. Sorry are you saying that I have drawn the Axle bunk, not the rear bunk?... I guess it's because I've included the sheet of metal under bunk pad?
Are Axle and Rear bunk angles the same 21 degrees?
kurz wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 am How will you form the frame? Do you have a press to do this an how?
Good Question Kurz ... I know I won't be able to bend the H-Channel (I-Beams) over my knee :D and I still have to find an Ali suppliers/fabricators that will be able to supply and bend these Beams.... wish me luck :D
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

You’ll need to know the flange thickness of those beams, too. Web thickness usually is secondary to flange thickness, or at least it is with steel W-beams, but the beam properties (section modulus and moment of inertia) depend on those dimensions. Material strength is also important, not for stiffness, but for strength. You need to meet or exceed those properties if copying an existing trailer. In case you weren’t aware. :wink:
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Tom: first, you walk on my lawn. Then, you get in my grille about not getting Neo's dimensions fast enough. I can't buy a break from you :) .

Neo: the last bit of my sketch in the images was for the axle bunk. Sorry I wasn't clear. Having to work this into several other on-going tasks, so it's going to come in data bursts.

I'll get more details of the bunks when I get my work clothes on. Didn't want to crawl under the trailer before church. 8)
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for you help with this. Ok after I've found out the Flange thickness I was going to specify 6061 or ask the Ali suppliers to recommend an Ali type. I've seen a few ski boats built with I-Beams so I'm hoping someone knows the best Ali to use for this application. .... It would be great if you could advise further in any way :wink:
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Jimmyt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 pmNeo: the last bit of my sketch in the images was for the axle bunk. Sorry I wasn't clear. Having to work this into several other on-going tasks, so it's going to come in data bursts.
I'll get more details of the bunks when I get my work clothes on. Didn't want to crawl under the trailer before church. 8)
No rush Jimmy. Time is on my hands at the moment. ... My steel trailer only just passed it's registration inspection recently (Pink Slip it's called here), but with lots of complaints. Technically have a year to build a new cradle for my baby :D but my goal is to have this finished before the end of winter here because I do all my trailer work outside.... I envy your garage :cry: 8)
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Don't know if it was allowed in a traler: But maybe it is easier to weld the H-Channel (I-Beams).
You could prepare all, cut in perfect shape and then bring to a welder. I guess it will be strong enough when you put overlaps in every direction.
If you have cut all - the welder is ready very very fast...
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Yes I can weld and need to investigate the potential consequences of cutting and welding the bends, even if it means bracing the bends I don't mind that but need to be sure I (or a pro welder) is not going to affect the integrity of the Ali.... An Ali Trailer no stronger than Ali Foil is not so good :D
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Neo
Admiral