Where to mount kicker on an X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Where to mount kicker on an X

Post by nedmiller » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 am

I am about to mount a 3.5 hp auxiliary motor (Kicker) but I haven’t drilled any holes in the boat. “Drilling holes in the boat” moments always gives me a very long pause, especially since this will be the first holes I’ve drilled below transom level. My plan was to put the kicker on the starboard side because the ladder is on the port side and every picture I’ve ever seen of an MacX has it on the starboard side.
As I looked at the boat this morning, I decided to re-consider. The ladder is inside of the rudders and the auxiliary motor would be on the outside. There is a lot more steering junk on the port side which makes getting to and operating the kicker more difficult.
I am not sure, but I don’t think the kicker would interfere with swimmers departing or mounting the boat using the ladder.
What am I missing? Why haven’t I ever seen a kicker on an X on the port side?
Any thoughts?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Where to mount kicker on an X

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 am

Have you ever tried to climb out of the water on the ladder? Yourself? In deep water? Are you over 30 years old?

It’s hard enough to use that ladder, which needs at least one more rung under the water, without having a small OB sandwiching you in.

rsvpasap
Deckhand

Post by rsvpasap » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 am

Also, most people are right hand dominant. If you're right-handed, it's probably a lot easier to get to get the kicker motor on and off the mount if it's on the starboard side. I have not found that the backstay is in the way. And if you're using that swim ladder on a regular basis, you imay end up wanting to install a grab handle on the port transom to help pull yourself up.

nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks guys. The original ladder was difficult, so I made a little platform on the port side and attached a 4 step ladder to it. Then I installed a grab handle. That makes things easier for me and the Admiral, who are both nearing 70! In some ways, that is why I’m considering a port side kicker mount. The little platform gives me a place to stand while steering the kicker on the port side. On the starboard side you have the rudder hook up Ike on the port, but also the motor hooks to the rudder arm there and the steering bar comes out of the wall so there is nowhere to stand! I would have to build another platform or a big “back porch” over the starboard steerimg parts, and it would have to be higher than on the port side since some steerimg parts are higher.