Motor well scupper.

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Motor well scupper.

Post by Ixneigh »

Tired of that motor well drain plugging up, need to do something about the plumbing, the sink line and the scupper line all going to one outlet. And poorly.
Option 1 install new through hull just for outboard well. Replace drain with a standard through hull and use good hose to connect with double clamps.

Option 2 use larger throughhull, and continue to tee both sink and scupper drain to it. Locating a proper seaworthy T junction might be an issue. None at west marine. Only plastic type. Upgrade plumbing as needed.

I looked at option 3, cutting a drain right through the transom, but didn’t like that as it was too close to the motor mounts.
kurz
Admiral

Re: Motor well scupper.

Post by kurz »

What is exactely your problem/concern with the factory stile?

As long as you don't come 3 inch higher obove water line it does not look as an improvement.

What do you want to be better after the mod?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Stock drain is too small. A dead June bug will clog it. Anxious to see what he does on this. :)
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

i had the same problem, even very small debris would block the factory setup.
and if you tried to back flush it with a hose, it would take the path of least resistance- and blow back into the sink

i put a thru hull in the well, and put a new thru hull next to the sink one on the transom, dedicated solely to the motor well. decent 3/4" hose and double ss clamps both ends.
i also then upgraded the sink drain with the same, smooth 3/4" hose, got rid of the corrugated one that trapped residue like a gold sluice box.
never had to touch it since
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I ended up locating some of the hardware at a marine 2nd hand place nearby much more economically than buying it from West Marine. I found some 11/4 inch matched through hull fittings in bronze so I installed those. The hull outlet is now on the other side of the engine from where the sink outlet is. I replaced the sink outlet with a slightly larger bronze fitting as well. I used an elbow fitting on the tail end of the throughhull fitting in the motor well, because the heavier tubing I used seemed to need it to have a fair run in a gentle curve to the other one. Seems to drain fine now. Dog hair, leaves, bugs no problem. Much more shipshape than the original setup which was abysmal. Next year I may replace the galley sink with a stainless one then I don’t plan on any more plumbing jobs for a while.

Ixnay