Where is everyone?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Jeff
Chief Steward

Where is everyone?

Post by Jeff »

Where is everybody? The forum seems really quiet lately. I'm afraid I know the answer. Seems everyone is on Facebook, which really irritates me. Don't get me wrong, I & most of my family are on there & it is useful for sharing pics of the family with far flung family & friends. However, to me it's a terrible way to discuss sailing our beloved Macgregors :x . People constantly asking the same questions, decent answers sometimes but no way to find & search the good answers like here! Many times when I see folks ask questions that we have fully documented here, I drop the hyperlink to this site into the comments. Sometimes I think everyone is getting older & sailing less, but judging by the numbers on that other place, new sailors are still discovering these great boats & excitedly discussing them, they just aren't doing it here. I think that's a shame & for my part I will start posting more here & sharing more. Thoughts anyone?
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by kmclemore »

We lost a lot of folks when the forum went down for far too long. And Facebook, as you noted, has taken a chunk. Further, due to the outage an alternative Mac Forum has been created and some folks went there as well. However, I agree that a forum is the best way to discuss technical topics over a long period of time, whereas FB works well for sharing the fun times.
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

I hate FB... so I am happy to stay here.

Hope this forum will grew up again and the mod section will be repaired soon.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

I have also sent links to this site with answers to people's questions on FB, but for a long time they couldn't sign up to be a new member. Did the process to become a new member on this site ever get fixed?

I also miss just being able to go to the home page and see all the new posts. Now I have to dig into each of the discussion sections and it takes a lot more time. I also miss stuff. Anyone else have similar issues?

Jeff
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

C Buchs wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 amI also miss just being able to go to the home page and see all the new posts. Now I have to dig into each of the discussion sections and it takes a lot more time. I also miss stuff. Anyone else have similar issues?

Jeff
Click on the Quick Links (Upper Left), then click on Active Topics.

~Rich
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

The quality of this site and the members is unequaled. Unfortunately Facebook appears to dominate. Just count the posts on any single day and compare to here. Many are posting pics which has become a significant form of communication sans words. Posting here is not as simple, so simple wins. Following facebook threads and searching topics is a total PIA and usually a waste of time. I plan to post more references to here in hopes that some will follow. Also I will post the ease of finding/tracking/following threads here. Has the sign up issue been resolved?
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Sign up is working properly and the search function has been fixed. Mods section and classifieds are next up.

~Rich
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Let's remember that "quality" and "quantity" are not the same. :P
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

I am here, reading and learning and enjoying. I don’t post often. I’ve been on this site for years and yes, it is very quiet compared to times past. I would love to help make it a vibrant resource again. For a long time, it would not keep me logged in or let me change my password to something I could remember, and so I didn’t contribute much, since
I had to look up the assigned password. I did keep up with things though.

We went to the North Channel this summer. We were not with TrailerSailors but our time overlapped. I had been using tinypics to post pictures but now they sent me a bill or my. Pics will “disappear” so I need a good pic posting site!

I have completely changed my steering system and will post when mods are back up.
This site was great and could be great again.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

In Cleveland and moving Sunday to Geneva park and marina in preparation for having boat hauled to the Ohio River around the 10th of September. Going down Ohio River to Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

I'm busy SAILING! The season here in NE Wisconsin is short. So far I've been sailing the upper Bay of Green Bay (Lake Michigan), middle Bay of Green Bay, and Lake Winnebago. Ah, the wonders of trailer sailing.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

The Home page is still non-functioning. Makes it hard to quickly browse current topics when I check in from time to time :)
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

Candidly, I expect users, especially long-time users, are frustrated they have invested untold hours, 250,000 posts and hundreds of mods, only to have it all just abandoned. This board helped sustain the value of this boats themselves by sustaining interest in their unique qualities. The thing that made this site special and worthwhile was the "Mods" section. As it currently exists, it is just a conversation based "bulletin board," i.e., basically the same thing as facebook. If anyone has any any interest in reviving this site, they will need to revive the mods.
kenr7474
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by kenr7474 »

New sailor here so take this for what it is worth.

I was researching boats and wanted to learn more about the Macgregor. Found my way here but lots of dead links and inactivity made my stay short. I drop in and read when I can but am more active on other forums. From an outsiders view this is a dying forum.

Really wanted to dig into the mods section to see what people had done.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Changing my water pump, surgically removing my prop, and changing my lower unit lube.

By the way, if you're not pulling your prop every year and cleaning/greasing the shaft, you may be in for some fun. Brackish/salt water may have added to my problem.

Started watching threads at sailboatowners.com during the outage here. Now I watch both when I can. I like this site better when everybody is participating- because it's more geared toward trailer sailers and macs.

Trying to get my boat ready for when the weather cools a bit.