Porta Potti Replacement

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
scrawley
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Porta Potti Replacement

Post by scrawley »

Hello Everyone. My name is Steve and I just purchased an '88 26d. One of the many things I want to replace/upgrade is the existing porta potti (bellows has deteriorated and just for GP would like to have a new one to use). The label on the front says "Sani Potti II" and there are side brackets that lock down the unit to existing brackets attached to the deck in the head.
I'm really struggling trying to find a replacement and suspect the model is obsolete.
I appreciate your input and suggestions.
Steve Crawley
'88 26d
s/v Hanara
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Porta Potti Replacement

Post by adudinsk »

My 26M was upgraded to have a 5.5Gallon PortaPoti... but with a pump out and vent hose.
Some are designed to "Go both ways" and can be upgraded to pump out.
Of course if you have to pay $20 to pump out.. a 5.5 gallon will be expensive, but if your marina has a free service.. consider that.. no blackwater tank.. much easier.
(it will be taller though.. )

Thetford Sealand MSD Sanipottie.. etc..
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Not that familiar with the 26d, but if you're in the mood for upgrade, you may want to consider going with a composting toilet. More expensive than porta-pottis, but with substantial advantages, which have been thoroughly discussed here.
Banner_IV
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Banner_IV »

I believe that model is still available under the Dometic brand and is still available.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sealand- ... KkQAvD_BwE
:macx: Shenanigans
Head of the Bay(Chesapeake)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Banner_IV wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:19 am I believe that model is still available under the Dometic brand and is still available.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sealand- ... KkQAvD_BwE
As far as I can tell, only the name has changed. I replaced the one that came with my boat with a newer one, but didn't have to change the metal loops that it clamps to. Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom, I bought the one with the smaller black tank where the original had the large one. Too low, so I made a wooden stool of sorts to bring it back up to the height of the original, and the original hoops went back on. Much better.

Mine is also the MSD version, and I added a pump-out port to the deck and a vent line to the exterior wall, just below the deck. I've never actually used the pump-out, and only added it because it's technically illegal to have a porta-potti in Ontario Province waters, but mine is an actual Marine Sanitation Device, so I'm legal AFAIC.

But it does have the big dump cap on the black tank, so that's what I use when winterizing. And I've never actually used the damn thing myself - so why is it that I'm the one who has to do the dirty deed? :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Tomfoolery wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:45 am But it does have the big dump cap on the black tank, so that's what I use when winterizing. And I've never actually used the damn thing myself - so why is it that I'm the one who has to do the dirty deed? :P
I think it's in all of the Father, Grandfather, Husband, and Uncle job descriptions, under "other duties as-assigned"... :|

I have never emptied any contents that I placed in mine either. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Tomfoolery said:
Mine is also the MSD version, and I added a pump-out port to the deck and a vent line to the exterior wall, just below the deck.
How difficult is it to disconnect the two hoses (pump out & vent) from the Porta-Poti in order to physically remove and void the tank.
Ray ~~_/)~~
scrawley
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by scrawley »

Thanks everyone. The more I searched the smarter I got. I did find Dometic seems to have several newer potti's that should fit. Oddly enough most are out of stock or backordered or delayed in some manner. I suppose all virus related issues in the factories. I have a "shakedown" cruise scheduled for the 30th and was trying to get something installed prior.
Thanks again,
Steve
Steve Crawley
'88 26d
s/v Hanara
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

NiceAft wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:50 am Tomfoolery said:
Mine is also the MSD version, and I added a pump-out port to the deck and a vent line to the exterior wall, just below the deck.
How difficult is it to disconnect the two hoses (pump out & vent) from the Porta-Poti in order to physically remove and void the tank.
Easy. Both hoses are flanged to the lower 'black' tank with a flat rubber gasket and big flange nut to clamp it together. Hardest part is getting the gasket in place without falling out when making the connection. I leave the hoses attached to the pump-out and vent fittings on the boat, and just remove them at the porta-potti tank. The big black tank drain cap is on the back, along with the pump-out and vent lines, so the carry handle that's molded into the black tank holds all those at the top when carrying it; no spills.

After I empty it and flush it out for the winter, I leave the hoses disconnected. Mainly because I don't feel like doing any extra work when prepping for winter. More fun, or less of a chore at least, when prepping for a new season in the Spring. :D But it's really quick and easy, once you get the knack of putting them on and taking them off, and the hoses stay clean. Easier to do if you attach them before assembling the upper fresh water tank and seat, so you can move it around a little. They're for show more than anything, after all, in Canadian waters. If it weren't for that, I'd just have the non-MSD version with the big black tank. :|
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

We recently came back from our maiden multi-day trip, with just about everything closed, including all public toilets, restaurants, parks, and anywhere else that we would normally "borrow" for #2. We have a Jabsco electric-macerator flush toilet (admiral's requirement when we bought the boat), a 9 gal. holding tank and a 9 gal. flush-water tank (which only needs to be half full at the start of the trip). This was the first 2-night stretch where we had no pumpout or land based facilities, with a family of 5 using only the onboard system.

With careful use we made it, with room to spare. The last thing I want is a plumbing "problem" on a trip like that so I was constantly reminding everyone to make damn sure there was water in the bowl before going #2 !!! We had a few good laughs but maybe the toilet humor is too much for a public blog, so I won't share too much. (Son #3 did the whole trip without taking a ... kid RAN to the bathroom when we got home)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

There are many solutions for different boaters. Many here love their composting toilets. A bit more expensive and complicated to install.

For us, usually 2 overnights and 2 people, the 5 gal Dometic works very well.

It can't be pumped out from a dockside station but is easily dumped into a toilet. Once you learn to master the vent it's not hard to dump. We often dump in pit toilets at camp grounds on the way home. Fast and easy. Some marinas forbid dumping porta potties in their restrooms. If not in a pit toilet, we just take it home. Good chemicals are key to smell.
--Russ
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Following this thread... I am wondering (as I never used my potti) do you use regular toilet paper.. or should one get fast dissolve marine toilet paper?
And what chems do people prefer to "digest the bad stuff" if any...
AD
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Oh .. and having never dumped mine either.. if you have the pump out option.. and vent line.. do you leave the main POOP valve open or closed when at pump out?
I have heard some people say you leave it open/closed.. others said open .. and rince down with a hose while pumping out with the main hole open.
In short whats the prefered poop purging process for a Porta Potti while using a pump out.

AD
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Poop purging, aka pumpout, is pretty simple. After our recent trip with a well-used potty, I left the boat for almost a week before going down to empty it on Monday. I admit to being a little nervous after storing a few days' worth on board in 85F weather.

There are two deck connections: the always-closed main one where the pump connects, and a small, always-open vent. On our boat the vent is just outside the dodger, and the main one is just inside and so requires undoing a few clips to expose it for connection.

Process is simple. Open main connection. Screw in pumpout adapter. Connect pump. Turn it on. Wait about a minute, then go flush the toilet for about 30 seconds. Wait. Flush. Wait. Flush. Wait. Turn off pump. With the dock hose trained on the adapter, disconnect pump and remove adapter. Takes about 5 minutes all told.

Some people put the hose in the main connection, fill up the hiding tank, and flush it again. I don't, because flushing a few times during pumpout seems to do the job.

So far, no smell, no disaster, no troubles. Knock on wood. I occasionally put a conditioner in the holding tank, through the toilet, that is supposed to keep things calm in there.

And yes, we use camping toilet paper, very light and easy to macerate and pump, and takes up very little tank volume.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

SO the vent.. is enough to allow the suction to purge the poop.. but not collapse the holding tank...
Currently its full of antifreeze.. will pump out shortly..
Thanks for the great write up!

AD