2009 Trailer Surge Brake wire

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
thewitt
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

2009 Trailer Surge Brake wire

Post by thewitt »

Hi Folks

I have the aluminum trailer for my 2009 26M that has been parked in storage for years. I need to move it soon and upon inspection I see that the blue wire for the surge brakes is in the connector but ripped out from the trailer. It runs 4' from the connector. I took a peek and cant see where it should terminate.

Where is the connection for this blue wire on the trailer/brakes?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: 2009 Trailer Surge Brake wire

Post by Jimmyt »

My blue wire goes to the lockout solenoid. Since trailer wiring gets done in all sorts of ways, I’m hesitant to tell you that your blue wire is the same as mine. However, if your blue wire goes hot (+12volts), when your vehicle is placed in reverse, then it's your backup lockout solenoid - which keeps your trailer brakes from applying when backing.

Note: Put on your emergency brake, turn on your ignition, but don’t start your engine. Without pressing the brake pedal, place the shifter in reverse and check your blue wire for voltage. This will prevent you from confusing a brake light wire with the reverse solenoid wire.

It’s at the rear of the coupler assembly, behind the master cylinder. Of course, the connection is on top where it will be the hardest to get at.

Looking up from below, it’s the round gizmo at the top of the pic.

If the wire disappears into the tongue beyond this, then it’s one of the light wires. I’d put a volt meter on it and get your assistant to turn on/off headlights, turn signals, etc., so you can determine what wire you have.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
thewitt
Just Enlisted

Re: 2009 Trailer Surge Brake wire

Post by thewitt »

Great info. Thank you for the reply.