Replacing the keel cable - yes/no?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
aprangley
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Replacing the keel cable - yes/no?

Post by aprangley »

Hi Mac Folks

I recently bought a Mac 25. My generous father in law hrlped me fix the trailer wheels and lights and bring her home. We took her out for a quick sail in the fall last year on Lake Washington and all seemed good. Lots to learn still but no big issues.

An ex Mac owner friend suggested I replace the cable that lifts the keel as a precaution, while it is on dry land.

How can I check if this is necessary? And is it a simple/complex job to replace it with new cable? Any thoughts on cable replacement for keel lifting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ant
March
Captain

Re: Replacing the keel cable - yes/no?

Post by March »

Hello. I have a 26X, but the principle behind the mobile keel seems to be similar. On a 26X, once the boat is on the trailer, it is easy to undo the nut below deck, push out the "fork" that holds the keel in place in its boot, provide support to the keel from below (it is heavy!) and slide it out from its retracting compartment. The cable is still attached to it. You can easily remove it now

The cable goes through the mast support. Once you have removed the keel, you can use the cable as a fish-line and pull through the mast support a new one. We have replaced the original with stainless steel cable, all the way to the top of the cabin. From here--a proper rope that can be handled more easily.

- Make sure you reinforce the loop a the end of the cable with a stainless steel "ear" that does NOT rub against the inner boot.
- We have added a pulley wheel/block at the base of the mast, on op of the cabin. That makes pulling up the keel much easier and more manageable

It is much more convenient to replace the cable BEFORE it breaks. If the cable breaks while on the water, you will have to run a rope under the boat, pull on both sides in order to force the keel o retract. Otherwise, you won't be able to take the boat out of the trailer without straining the keel. It is still doable--but not much fun.

We have also removed the keel while on the water. We did not have to remove the cable, but it was still a bear to put the keel back in its proper place.

Replacing the cable on dry land, as a preventive maintenance, is much safer and easier.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

This thread may have some additional info..

viewtopic.php?t=21943
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I think it would be worth the effort, if only to assure yourself that the cable and other parts are in good condition. The cable itself is $31 from Blue Water Yachts.

The challenges associated with the raising and lowering of a 625-lb. swing keel are greater than with the 26X,M,D, and S, which are fiberglass and are raised and lowered using a rope and cable arrangement with no force multipliers.

The worst case scenario, it seems to me, is that the keel may end up stuck in the down position, making removal from the water a pretty difficult task. Even if you can visualize the entire cable (not sure if you can, I own a 26S), a damaged pivot bolt or other non-visible part could prevent operation.

I would at least replace the cable, and plan to do a full-scale inspection and, if warranted, replacement of any damaged or fatigued parts in the off-season while the boat is trailered.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
aprangley
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by aprangley »

Thanks to all you wizened pros for all that info - and the link. I will have a good look and send an update once I have tried what has been suggested. Ant
Maraquita
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Maraquita »

Having had the cable break on my 25 when the keel was about 1/2 way up I say replace it if you don't know what shape it is in. It scares everyone in a mile radius when that 900 pounds of pig iron slams down into the stops! let alone the fun of getting it on the trailer again afterword!

I was able to block up the back of the boat, and using the tongue wheel lift everything high enough to reach the cable attachment at the back of the keel without removing the keel. The boat was stable enough that I had no qualms about crawling under it to work. I wound the old cable off of the winch all the way, cut it off at a convenient length and used that to pull the new cable up to the cockpit, where I could attach it to the winch. Had a friend keep tension on it while I cranked it up to the proper position to attach it to the keel. Then cranked the keel up into the hull the rest of the way and put the boat and trailer back where they belonged. It was so easy that I added it to my maintenance log as a 5 year replacement item. I always found at least one strand broken after 5 years.