How Much Fabric Is Needed for Interior Cushions?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Slartibartfast
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

How Much Fabric Is Needed for Interior Cushions?

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hi,

Does anyone have measurements saved to know how much fabric I'll need for my interior cushions? I know that sounds like a lazy question since I should measure it myself, but the boat is currently an hour away with the outboard doctor and I probably won't see it for a week or so. Would be nice to get something ordered in the meantime. I might not do the big bed this season, so even just a rough estimate on the forward cushions (vee berth, settee, dinette) would be great.

Thanks
OverEasy
Admiral

Re: How Much Fabric Is Needed for Interior Cushions?

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Slartibartfast!

Interesting handle…. There’s got to be a story there….🤔

Figure that you’re gonna wrap a king bed and two twin beds as a baseline then multiply by at least 1.5x.
That little bit extra will help account for the odd shapes, curves, the extra for the sides and fabric pattern alignment.
In fabric work with things like cushions one is ahead of the game by “embrace the waste” as it isn’t waste but what is ccually what is needed to get the job properly done right the first time. It actually saves you time, money and agitation while giving you the opportunity to make a project you’ll be happy with and proud of (as well you should for the efforts expended).

I used to help my Mom who was a professional seamstress make custom slip covers and cushions.
It’s all in the details and alignments not only at the seams but also with the adjacent cushions… top and bottom so they can be flipped over to extend their useful life. (These were for high end couches and padded chairs … Mom was always booked out for months …)

As we didn’t have a working heavy duty seaming sewing machine available when we made our own new 6” thick custom cushions and covers for Over Easy and Mom’s no longer with us 🙄 we sorta chose an alternative approach and used the olde wrap and safety pin 🧷 technique. (It’s a process typically used in testing out or trialing an interior design fabric concept prior to committing to actually making sewn items to help the customer “see” what they are wanting to achieve. [A lot better than draping swag bits of fabric scraps strewn hither and yon as some ‘would be’ designers or makers might do….] We just took it a step further and made it more durable). We did it so that if at sometime in the future we ever get access to a seaming sewing machine and decide to revisit making finished covers each cushion has sufficient fabric to do so. Meanwhile we are really enjoying our new interior.

We used 6” conformal foam twin mattresses as our base material. We then cut the foam to shape with a bread knife.
Then cut one piece polyester batting to wrap the top and sides to soften the surfaces and edges. Used HD packing tape to hold them to the foam pieces. We then throughly sprayed all surfaces with Lysol aerosol spray.
Next we quickly 360 wrapped each cushion with heavy 7 mil thick plastic sheeting throughly sealing all the seams with Tyvek tape to make a waterproof/resistant seal.
It was at this point we realized that our sewing machine (which we hadn’t used for years just wasn’t going to cut it sewing the Sunbrella type fabric we were using…fribble… that meant Plan B kicked in and we chose to go with the wrap and SST safety pin route. It works as long as one makes sure to arrange ALL the pinning on the bottom surface.

For Under each cushion we cut sheets of 1/2 air gap padding made for marine applications to fit.
That way even if we ever got some water intrusion or condensation the foam wouldn’t get wet or sit in water.
The Sunbrella fabric itself sheds water and dries quickly. They are very comfortable to sit and sleep 😴 on as we have done several times on extended trips.

Got everything we needed at JoAnn Fabrics.
It’s now into our third season with our new cushions and they are doing and looking great!

Here is the link to our Mod posting within the forum:
https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2200

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

PS: Eventually we’re going to use our surplus fabric to make matching/complementary pull down roller side curtains… but that’s a project for the off season … the weather is nice and there are places to go, explore and enjoy on the water! 😎😎
Last edited by OverEasy on Wed May 22, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

I just recovered the cushions I use in my 2002 26X in the last couple days. I have extended the v-berth and these numbers are general approximations including the extension. Here are the maximum length x width dimensions in inches for these cushions in the corresponding photo:

1. 84x30
2. 70x35
3. 16x40
4. 38x25
5. 33x13

The two cushions that typically would be where the sea chest is located would be approximately 32 x 20 and 32 x 12 in my modified arrangement or 44 x 20 and 42 x 12 as the boat was originally configured.

I don't have cushions in the aft berth so I don't know the exact numbers, but in very general numbers, the aft berth is approximately 80 inches wide by 90 inches long from directly under the lip of the companionway to the internal rear wall.

Last edited by rsvpasap on Wed May 22, 2024 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Rsvpasap!

Wow! What a beautiful interior you have made for you boat! VERY NICELY DONE! 👍👍
Your galley looks really nice!

Q: What did you use for the bow section wall cover?

Again, very nice!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

The walls are a layer of 1/2 inch thick EVA foam squares trimmed to fit snuggly in the channel created by the shape of the wall. They stay in place without adhesive. The EVA foam is then covered by a layer of cork fabric, which is a flexible layer of cork attached to a polyester backing. The cork fabric is attached to the EVA foam squares using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I'm sometimes in cold weather (Washington and British Columbia) and use the boat all winter, so some sort of insulation was required. The EVA foam keeps the boat a few degrees warmer on very cold nights. It also makes it so that the walls are not cold to touch when sleeping in the v-berth.

OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Rsvpasap!

Thanks for sharing that!
It looks like great way to warm up the boat in more ways than one!
Literally and aesthetically!

We to try to use our boat as much as we can…sometimes we’ll into the “off” seasons where it get a bit chilly.
We were in Lake Champlain until the lake ice was well into forming :D :D and the last marina was pulling in the last of their floating docks.
They even let us stay until the very last section was pulled.
It was a beautiful time watching the warm summer change to the strikingly colorful fall and then into ‘stick season’ as the locals call it after the leaves have fallen but the winter snows haven’t quite arrived. We’ll gladly go back for a repeat!

Yes, it got cold and the interior sides weren’t something to cuddle up to.
So your idea would be handy and a whole lot more comfortable!
We dealt with the cold and condensation issue when in the marina slip via shore power to run a small oscillating forced air heater and our dehumidifier function of our A/C unit which worked really well for us. (If we were to plan on doing this moored out we’d have to plan to bring along our little generator!🥶😎😎🥶

Thanks again!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

OverEasy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 pm
Interesting handle…. There’s got to be a story there….🤔
It's not important.

(Below, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Excuse me," he said to him, "what is your name by the way?"
"My name?" said the old man, and the same distant sadness came into his face again. He paused. "My name," he said, ". . . is Slartibartfast."
Arthur practically choked.
"I beg your pardon?" he spluttered.
"Slartibartfast," repeated the old man quietly.
"Slartibartfast?"
The old man looked at him gravely.
"I said it wasn't important," he said.
The aircar sailed through the night.

So, yeah, there is a story there, but sadly it's not mine.

And thanks, as always, for the help.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Slartibartfast wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:19 pm Hi,

Does anyone have measurements saved to know how much fabric I'll need for my interior cushions? I know that sounds like a lazy question since I should measure it myself, but the boat is currently an hour away with the outboard doctor and I probably won't see it for a week or so. Would be nice to get something ordered in the meantime. I might not do the big bed this season, so even just a rough estimate on the forward cushions (vee berth, settee, dinette) would be great.

Thanks
I don't have the quantity that I ordered when I replaced my cushions a few years ago, but an extra yard or so of most fabrics won't break the bank. Better to have more than not enough, because you never know when you want to add matching curtains or a pillow for the cockpit.

Here's a link to a thread I posted about making all new cabin cushions:

viewtopic.php?t=27707&hilit=Cushion
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Actually I DO have a record of how much fabric I used because I posted it in the other thread.

From that thread: "I used 5 yards of fabric for all the interior cushion tops and sides (fabric was 60" wide with a usable width of 58"), and 2.5 yards of the marine underliner (which was 54" wide) for the cushion bottoms. With planning there is minimal wastage but don't underestimate how much material it takes for the cushion boxing (sides)."