New 2010 Suzuki DF90A + 26X = BIG Success!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
vkmaynard
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Re: New 2010 Suzuki DF90A + 26X = BIG Success!

Post by vkmaynard »

I was told that Solas makes props for Suzuki. I would try the 13.75 x 15 4 blade prop to get some numbers first. Our boat kept up with our friends Suzuki 140 that had his mast up, scuba tanks, drinking water and food. We had none of the above. We actually past him when we both had full ballast.

I am sure that he would add several MPH with a 4 blade prop.

Great fun today. Three Macgregors all operating with a "can of worms" 90 hp+ boats met at Jordan Lake, NC. I will post videos of the ETec 90 M running with the Suzuki 140 X. We were running chase with our 90 X. Too much fun. If you don't think these boats deserve a 90+ motor, take a ride on one. I would gladly give any Macgregor owner a test drive, just like Billy (XX) did for us 8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovBozRo5gg

Not bragging just impressed with the flexibility of the Macgregor design. Our picky teenage kids were blown away with the transformation in our boat.

Figured how to upload initial video to YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKgqweVZVQ

Victor
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Sweet videos Vic I needed to see some motivation to hit my mods hard again tommorrow. I have been slaving with some help from my wife every weekend to get the inside mods done for my wife's tasts for the past 2 Months. I have diffenntly had to tailer back the mods I was going to do. I think I planned enought for the next 3 years not one year. Well the slip is paid for and activated as of 1 April 2010, so time to go to bed and get cracking on the mods tommorow. There is light at the end of the tunnel for 1/3 of the mods that were originailly planned, are going to be mission complete this week god willing. :|
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Just a note about the "Can of Worms" that Mike brought up. I think that MacGregor Yachts wants everyone to enjoy their product. What they don't want is someone coming to the whining about the warranty, when the mast, or rigging fails from pounding across the water with an over powered boat. They're not going to stand behind it.
think about the added forces that are applied to the standing rigging in rough water conditions and make your own judgement. I think that most of the owners on this board are responsible enough to use common sense. But just in case someone doesn't, you're on your own. At least that is how I read Mike's post in this thread:

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=15663.

No manufacture of anything, will stand behind their product when unauthorized modifications are made. Have fun, but be responsible.

~Rich
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

Thats a good point Rich, even with a 50HP on the back, there are a lot more gizmos on a sailboat that can get pounded to death versus your run of the mill speedboat...not to mention the balast tank adhesion. If you want to go fast, you need to do it on relatively calm waters. My rule of thumb is once the waves start getting too big to be a speedboat, its time to slow down and get the sails out :D

Hey Vic, that is a nice looking motor install. When my 10 year old bigfoot 50 conks out one of these days, maybe I can bribe you into a trip down to Florida to help me install a big monster on mine. :wink:
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Hamin' X wrote:Just a note about the "Can of Worms" that Mike brought up. I think that MacGregor Yachts wants everyone to enjoy their product. What they don't want is someone coming to the whining about the warranty, when the mast, or rigging fails from pounding across the water with an over powered boat. They're not going to stand behind it.
I totally agree with not pounding the rigging or the ballast tanks. The water had reasonably smooth conditions. Later, when my kids came out, the wind and waves picked up so we slowed the boat down. Even my 16 year old knew to slow the boat down before I asked. You also will create plenty of pounding in rough conditions with a Honda 50 or Mike's ETec 60 recommendation.

When I supercharged my Mustang GT I was not planning to ask Ford for warranty work. Just know what you are doing and act responsibly as opposed to being misinformed about the "consequences" of adding more horsepower.

Both my kids (18, 16) were driving our boat full out (for allowable short bursts on the new motor) yesterday, making some really fun carving turns like Billy. Our boat did not fall apart nor was it unstable or scary at anytime. Just a lot more fun for our family. Last summer we used the boat once for wakeboarding due the lack of horsepower. Now there is a waiting line of friends. Maybe we will try wetsuits and wakeboarding today.

Bumping up the motor power is not for everyone. I am still amazed at the night and day difference in our boat. It's like a completely new boat with so much more authority that we originally liked in the POWER sailor. One ride on Billy's 140 X gave us the fever.

I'll post the numbers on the prop after it gets repitched this week. Yea it's boating season, finally!!

Victor
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

The 13.75 x 15 Amita 4 prop is repitched to 14".

Jason (Blue Ridge Propellers) is shipping the prop back for testing on Monday. Should be interesting.

I found the ligthly loaded, mast down max speed picture.

Victor
Stefan
Deckhand

Post by Stefan »

Victor,
I am anxious to hear the results after testing that prop. Hopefully you'll be happy with that.

By the way, I spoke to Jason on monday, thanks for the contacts you left here. Although he was surprised but willing to do the same for me, and if don't find any one else to ship it to me he would also figure out how to ship it internationally.
Thanks for the race video, I am sure you guys had real fun.
I could see how :macx: hull can pull out of the water way more then :macm: hull. Plus, your boat cold easily get in front of the blue hull :macm: with similar 90hp motor, that just confirms that :macx: is faster then :macm: when using the same HP :).
After further analysis of my case, I decided to stay with 13 pitch max.
Although I couldn't find 11 pitch 4 blade, I found RUBEX HR4 prop, 13.25x13 aluminum(9413-133-13), and 13.5x13 SS (9453-135-13).
I remember your comment about the smaller diameter impression, but I hope ultimately it would do the job the smaller pitch would, increasing the rpm that I need.
And the SS version is said to perform even better. So, that might be my ticket.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Warning, the Rubex RBX125 does not fit the DF90A.

The dealer here never did find a Rubex hub that worked with the DF90A.

The SS prop looks like it might work with a slightly larger diameter. The 13.25 x 13 will not work even for your boat. It turned almost 6300 RPM with full ballast on our boat.

I would try the 13.75 X 15 pitched down to 13. Keep the diameter.

Can you purchase a 13.75 x 15 to get some numbers then have Jason over here purchase and repitch the same unit for a one time ship?

Billy found the same prop on iboats for $97 USD shipped in the States.

Victor
Stefan
Deckhand

Post by Stefan »

I think I checked everywhere, there are no such prop to test on my motor. :(

What's wrong with RBX125, every dealer says it's the hub for me :| , that it should be the same as for the previous DF90
have you actually tried it, I wonder what would solas people say about that, there should be a hub for our motor.

you do have a beast back there, My 14x13 was at 5200 WOT loaded, so I sure have some room to go. I see that different hull has huge influence.
Last edited by Stefan on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

The first spacer does not fit.

I will call the head guy from Solas (in Florida) on Monday and feedback the problem I had and let you know what he says.

Victor
vkmaynard
Admiral

Re: Prop Perfection

Post by vkmaynard »

Jason at Blue Ridge Propellers did a perfect job. I asked him to reduce the pitch by no more than 1" relative to what he measured on the current 13.75 x 15 prop. New numbers: 31 MPH steady @ 6250 RPM (0.7 MPH gain with a 350 RPM gain) and 24 MPH with ballast, not quite as steady @ 5600 RPM (0.7 MPH gain with a 350 RPM gain). I am very happy with the numbers considering that max WOT is 6300 and max HP is 5800. This is as good as it will probably get except for a possible small improvement in performance after full break-in.

The DF90A motor is providing way more performance than I expected. After this experience I would personally not consider going back to or starting off with a 50 HP motor that in no way comes close to the performance stated in the brochure

I would like to recommend Chatlee Marine in Sanford, NC to anyone in this area. They had the best price of $6500 for the motor + $1000 for the rest of the parts (could do $250 better on the internet but wanted to give them the business for the prop hassle). They also provided very patient service after the sell.

Now it will be interesting to see how this motor performs on an M (that's your queue Stefan).

End of my report unless the motor blows up or I get poor warranty service.

Hopefully this information and videos will be useful to others.

Anyone in my area is welcome to go for a test drive. Just let me know.

Victor
Last edited by vkmaynard on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Ok Vic now that you got all the prop stuff worked out I am sure you didn't follow the factory guidelines to the letter and I know how that bothers a guy like you. So let me help you out I will make it so you can start the process over with a brand new engine. All you have to do is tell me where you live, leave your boat out front in a non lighted area, and tell me what your insurance deductable is and I will gladly help a friend out. I really don't want that break-in stuff to eat at your consents. Who your bubby uh. :)
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Also on said night of your choosing make sure you take out all mounting bolts for inspecting how well they are holding up. :wink: Seriously this is important information the Macgregor Community needs to know. Also fell free to disconnect the steering for lubrication that you have planned for the next day. :wink: Oh and one last thing if you hear a lot of grunting and groaning outside don't worry about it. 8) If you here someone yelling for 911 call that means the ambulance not police. I used to squat over 400lbs in high school but that a helicopter accident and 25 years ago, make sure the bring the back immobilizer. :cry:
vkmaynard
Admiral

Post by vkmaynard »

Funny Ron!

We will be at VA Beach on 6/26 in a lighted area with lots of drunks walking by. Does that work for you?

Victor
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Ok Vic I see you have no experience with culvert operations. First off you don't set up a day you arrive but the day you are leaving, so you can use my motor while you are in Virginia Beach. However I do like how you are going with lots of drunks walking around because in any culvert operation said operative (me) needs to blend in. I think I can blend in with a bunch of drunks real well. 8) I have studied them in great detail for decades. :)