looking to get my nervous wife sailing more.

A forum geared more towards feminine thought as it relates to sailing.
BrazDaz
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

looking to get my nervous wife sailing more.

Post by BrazDaz »

Hi ladies
I'm trying to think of the things that would put women off sailing and how to help them overcome their fears or my lack of preparation. I seem I get the boat ready and leave her with the kids and food swimming stuff etc.
I'm thinking we only go out in good weather blue sky's and light winds, drinks nibbles and music. Nintendo and DVD player for the kids when they get bored.

The boat leaning over is another issue, but we don't go out if its blowing a gale, up to 15kts is the max I would expose her and the kids to.
When we go out in the river for a few hours she packs food cloths and drinks for all of us for 3 days, while i would only pack 4 sandwiches and drinks and swimming stuff.
Looking after our 3 kids is one issue, 7months, 2 and 5 years. Is this too much work?
She mentioned getting on and off the boat is difficult but didn't seen to have too much trouble when she was 8 months pregnant why is it harder now. Mac 26M backed onto the beach works great?
please can you help with suggestions to help prepare ourselves and the boat.

Thanks Darren.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: looking to get my nervous wife sailing more.

Post by Catigale »

Looking after our 3 kids is one issue, 7months, 2 and 5 years. Is this too much work?
Seriously?? I think that might be your answer. :D :D :D Looking after toddlers is much more stressful than even a bun or two in the oven - I still vaguely remember that load and it was 10 years ago...(and the Admiral did the brunt of it)
BrazDaz
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BrazDaz »

Oh you guys make is sound so easy and i just want to go sailing when the weather is so good.
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

I got my admiral into sailing by taking an ASA (insert the Oz equivalent here) 8 day live aboard class with her. Paid the extra for just us two and the instructor (actually two different ones). She came out fully qualified as a bare boat skipper. I found out that when the instructor is telling her something, it has a completely different effect than when I told her the same exact thing on our own. Money well spent and I even learned a few things.

Our first charter by ourselves, She said that we needed to practice a MOB exercise and I agreed. I reached up and threw the type IV PFD over the side and said "GO". She started to come about and started giving me orders as to what to do with the sheets and spotting the MOB. I calmly said, "Dear, that's me in the water." She then proceeded to do a perfect figure 8 maneuver and hove to to recover the PFD. Great confidence builder. Also while in the class, the instructor had her bring the boat into the Santa Cruz marina under sail and put into the slip without power. Although he was coaching her, this was also a great confidence builder.

Try and take a class where there are real ocean conditions. Out of Santa Cruz for example, SCW (Small Craft Warnings) are the norm. If she learns there, she will enjoy sailing anywhere. Spend the money, take the class together and enjoy sailing. YMMV.

~Rich