26M trailer brakes

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Re: 26M trailer brakes

Post by Paul S »

before fixing your brakes.. take a hard look at the tongue. Search my ID for what is very common (hint tongues rust out) .

The DB35 works fine. usually the boots go before anything. I replaced what I had. The parts are cheap enough.

I would suggest elongating the hole where the brake line exits the tongue....toward the bottom, to allow water OUT of the tongue (reason why they fail) and replace the line with a stainless steel line (available pre-made and not very expensive) .

Check to ensure the actuator actually moves in the tongue... otherwise.. don't waste your effort on replacing the brakes! If they are frozen or sticky, they can lock on and wear out fast (or not apply at all)

Been there. done that. got the tshirt
shrektruck
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by shrektruck »

Wait! You guys have brakes on your trailers?!? WTH?
Lol,
P.O. removed the calipers on mine. Good thing the Yukon brakes are all new and the shrektruck has brakes like throwing out an anchor.
Thinking I'll have to remedy that when I rebuild the trailer. Can I put electric brakes on it? Seems like a much easier solution.
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

I understand the main reason for surge brakes instead of electric brakes is the issue that we immerse our brakes in salt water with boat trailers (that and U-Haul rents to anyone that does not have a Ford Explorer). So, the answer is yes, you can fit electric to your trailer but how long will they survive?
Max Entropy
Engineer

Re: 26M trailer brakes - tongue replacement?

Post by Max Entropy »

Just replaced the calipers on my 2008 'M' trailer with DB35's only problem being the brass blocks for the banjo bolts only had one brake line fitting aperture, whereas the trailer RH side requires a second aperture to feed the left hand brake. No problem, just re-used old one. HOWEVER, discovered the actuator in the tongue was toast. The tongue itself is made of painted steel, not even galvanized, bolted onto aluminum frame members. Rusty, rusty, rusty in spite of diligent rinsing. Nothing like salt water for returning naked steel to its favourite state of rust. Has anyone replaced the steel tongue assembly on these?
blue crab

Post by blue crab »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 am That's what my info says (2013 M). Says parts are available from auto parts store. Interchanges with 1997-2000 Kia Sephia. Warning says to get ORGANIC pads only. Metallic pads will rust and goof up the rotor. By the way, UFP is Unique Functional Products... 760-744-1616 or www.ufpnet.com. 135 Sunshine Lane, San Marcos, CA 92069
Just found out my 04M trailer brakes aren't working. Is the whole Autozone Kia Sephia caliper interchangeable or just the pads? My trailer is an 1 1/2 hrs away at the marina. UPF is now Dexteraxel.com, does anyone know the part numbers to look for in case the kia ones don't work. I may also need to replace the actuator.

Thanks, Wally
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

blue crab wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:51 am
Just found out my 04M trailer brakes aren't working. Is the whole Autozone Kia Sephia caliper interchangeable or just the pads? My trailer is an 1 1/2 hrs away at the marina. UPF is now Dexteraxel.com, does anyone know the part numbers to look for in case the kia ones don't work. I may also need to replace the actuator.

Thanks, Wally
Wally,
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you participating!

I can only pass on the information I got with my boat documents. I think I have some information on the hitch/master cylinder for my trailer if you need it. But, I'm not sure how relevant the '13 parts info is for the '04 trailer.

Thankfully, I haven't had any brake issues on my trailer. So, I can't tell you specifics about what parts you need or current parts cross-references. Maybe others have been through this and can be of help.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Jim
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
blue crab

Post by blue crab »

Thanks, Jim
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you participating!
Thanks, actually I was in this forum for quite awhile as "Bluecrab" no space. My IP changed ownership, I neglected to update my email and forgot I my password. I tried to recover it a few times but it seemed easier to create a new account.
I can only pass on the information I got with my boat documents. I think I have some information on the hitch/master cylinder for my trailer if you need it. But, I'm not sure how relevant the '13 parts info is for the '04 trailer.
From researching other posts it seems the UFP db-35 are the ones to buy. I have those on the way from Dexter. Hopefully they get here before the snow.

Thanks again,
Wally
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Well then, welcome back! 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Or there is another way. About every 2 or three years while the boat is in the water I run the trailer over to the brake shop in downtown Oceanside (they are right outside of the harbor) because they see a LOT of boat trailers. The brake shop has all the right brakes and bearings and hoses and I just have them replace everything that needs replacing. After ten years we have never had issues with the trailer (except last time out we broke the electric hookup to the car cuz we stepped on it and broke the prong for the reverse function). That sucked. And it really proved the brakes were working really good too. :o