is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Starscream »

Me too.

Those are exactly the wheels that were on that trailer. After two years in a forest, they were in perfect condition. I brought a breaker bar with me break loose the wheel bolts before I hit the road with them, in case I ended up on the side of the road--not the time to discover that you can't get a wheel off. They were 7/8" bolts and they weren't even slightly rusted; they immediately rotated almost like new. Same for the trailer ball-hitch, it looked like cast-iron and you had to screw down a clamping mechanism to clamp the ball, then back off a quarter turn and lock it in place.

Sometimes old tech is good tech.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Catigale »

Russ wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:13 am
Tomfoolery wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 am Changed hundreds of those way back in the day, many on the side of an interstate. :(
I'm always astonished at the wealth of knowledge and information (and experience) you have Tom.
Confucius say smart man with no Pizza (me) wise to live next to pizzeria ( this forum)
Stephen & Barbara
Catigale
2002 26X
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Just the product of a misspent youth, followed by getting my crap together the hard way, I'm afraid. :wink:

And as wise old Catigale alluded, this place is a gold mine of information, and not just about boats. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Todd »

Update on the 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

Did a 1192 mile test towing a 1800 pound uHaul trailer. 15.5 MPG on a running AVG of 55MPH (according to the computer). I set the CC to 78 MPH on Interstates. The Diesel definitely reduced the driver fatigue by knocking the tops of some of the medium/small hills with the trailer in tow. On the only pass to Pierre South Dakota from Albuquerque, Raton Pass, you could feel the drag but it wasn't horrible at all. The truck itself is incredibly quite at speed both in wind noise and in engine noise. Had 3 people, 2 dogs and an annoying '92 MR2 that kept buzzing us....turned out to be my son on his way to his first Engineering job.

Dead-heading on the way back-- no uHaul, still 3 people and 2 dogs 8) . 23 MPG on 1210 miles (had some detours) . The first 100 miles I was in irons which really affected the MPG I think.

Overall-- still happy with the purchase-- tow behavior very good. Uhaul was a dual axle trailer and we loaded it properly so it had tongue weight but not overloaded up front.

and yes-- I know the speed limit on the trailer is strictly 55 as it says so on each fender.....but since they wrote it backwards I suppose it didn't apply to me. I don't tow my boat that fast.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:D :D :D
Catigale wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 am [Confucius say smart man with no Pizza (me) wise to live next to pizzeria ( this forum)
bubby-joe
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by bubby-joe »

I don't recommend an 05-06 Mazda MPV rear ends like a red rubber ball
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Haven't been posting on this forum for a couple of months. Been busy deciding on, and buying, my new tow vehicle for both the Mac and my travel trailer. Mostly the travel trailer since I keep the Mac at a marina full time. This seemed like a good thread to "dive back in" so to speak. Brought home a 2020 F-150 Lariat RWD with 3.5L Turbo Eco boost engine and max tow package rated at 12,500 lbs. towing and 19,000 GCWR. Haven't hooked it up to tow anything, yet, but will be taking the travel trailer (7,900lbs. actual) out later this month. Still working my way through the manual and "onboard computer". It should be a piece of cake for the Mac, but I'll report details of my first venture next month when I get back from the RV trip.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Nice 8)
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pm Haven't been posting on this forum for a couple of months. Been busy deciding on, and buying, my new tow vehicle for both the Mac and my travel trailer. Mostly the travel trailer since I keep the Mac at a marina full time. This seemed like a good thread to "dive back in" so to speak. Brought home a 2020 F-150 Lariat RWD with 3.5L Turbo Eco boost engine and max tow package rated at 12,500 lbs. towing and 19,000 GCWR. Haven't hooked it up to tow anything, yet, but will be taking the travel trailer (7,900lbs. actual) out later this month. Still working my way through the manual and "onboard computer". It should be a piece of cake for the Mac, but I'll report details of my first venture next month when I get back from the RV trip.
Yes, please do. I got one of the tiny diesels in a 2017 Ram truck. In mixed town/highway, I seem to get around 28 mpg. Pure highway, I've seen 34 mpg on the computer, but have never gotten that high calculating at the pump. But then, I've never done a full tank highway run. I routinely go over 700 miles on a tank. I've only done a few short distance hauls and the computer says around 20 mpg with the :macm: , but wasn't really at highway speeds and our rather hilly terrain. I'd think with the brick house on the trailer, it'll be worse as the speed goes up. Looking forward to my Florida trip at the end of the month to get some real numbers.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Inquisitor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:16 amI got one of the tiny diesels in a 2017 Ram truck. In mixed town/highway, I seem to get around 28 mpg. Pure highway, I've seen 34 mpg on the computer, but have never gotten that high calculating at the pump. But then, I've never done a full tank highway run. I routinely go over 700 miles on a tank.
Sounds like the Ecodiesel. I had one in my last Grand Cherokee, with the factory tow package. What a great towing vehicle, with 7200 lb tow capacity, same as the big Hemi's. My current V6 gas GC is good to 6200 lb towing, which is still plenty for an :macx: . I used to get just around 30 mpg on the highway on long trips. Towing was less, of course.

I'd have gotten another but after they got caught with the emissions shenanigans, they stopped putting them in Grand Cherokees. :(

Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pmIt should be a piece of cake for the Mac, but I'll report details of my first venture next month when I get back from the RV trip.

Nice truck. I'd have gotten a truck but the admiral would divorce me. Long story, but being an NYC girl, pickups just don't fit the image. Or something. Oh, hull, I don't know. :?

But still a nice truck, and should tow the boat like it isn't there, especially with that long wheelbase. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

kmclemore wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna that we’ve used for towing our boats, and it now has 230,000 miles in it. The car has been largely bulletproof. The only problem is that the trans has gone twice (basically every 100,000 miles) but then I’ve been hauling things that have put the car right at the margins of the allowable tow capacity, so I can’t complain. I did add a huge separate cooler for the trans and I think that’s definitely been a help. The motor has always seen Mobil 1 oil, I do all my own maintenance, and despite never being garaged up here in Pennsylvania (the land of salt), it has zero rust. The 3.3 V6 engine runs every bit as good as when it was new, and nothing electrical has ever failed. All I’ve ever had to replace (once) are rear shocks, the exhaust system and brake calipers. Other than that it’s just been gas, tires, oil and brakes. Basically, that car owes me nothing.

I often joke that I recently got a recall notice from Toyota - it said they’re recalling the car because you should have darn well bought something else by now!

Now that Jan and I are doing more off-road driving (we are leaders in two scout troops and we also often visit Colorado to see our son and go hiking with him), and that we still need to tow our boats, we’ve decided to buy a 2020 Highlander (now that the new model has ApplePlay). It will have a higher tow capacity than the Sienna and better off-road capability, and I expect the same reliability I’ve had with the Sienna.
So... my report on the Highlander, having now towed my Mac with it. It towed quite easily, was very stable on the road and had plenty of stopping power (especially since my trailer brakes are inoperable presently!). So... yep, I'm a happy camper.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Tomfoolery wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am
Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pmIt should be a piece of cake for the Mac, but I'll report details of my first venture next month when I get back from the RV trip.
Nice truck. I'd have gotten a truck but the admiral would divorce me. Long story, but being an NYC girl, pickups just don't fit the image. Or something. Oh, hull, I don't know. :?
But still a nice truck, and should tow the boat like it isn't there, especially with that long wheelbase. 8)
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the positive response. I do really like this truck. I had read on the Forest River forum about guys spending two-three months researching and finding their next tow vehicle, and, at first, that seemed like overkill, but, alas, that is what I did. I think one of my first "technology" trust tests will be using the electric parking brake on the boat ramp. You engage the parking brake with a small lever/button. I am so used to that reassuring click/click/click of the manual parking brake on my old 2007 Ram as I pushed down on the pedal. All I get when I throw the "switch" on this parking brake is a little sign on my display that says "brake on" or something such. But, I do really like this truck. I said that already didn't I. Sorry! Those NYC gals just don't know what they are missing. :wink:
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

For those on a budget and not wanting a big SUV or Pick-up, I just ran across this article. Hyundai Santa Cruz. 5000 pound towing with a turbo 4 cylinder. 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty! 8-speed dual-clutch transmission!! 8)

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40195/202 ... tually-tow
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Inquisitor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am For those on a budget and not wanting a big SUV or Pick-up, I just ran across this article. Hyundai Santa Cruz. 5000 pound towing with a turbo 4 cylinder. 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty! 8-speed dual-clutch transmission!! 8)

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40195/202 ... tually-tow
Since my "other car" is a Hyundai Elantra, I am familiar with the brand, if not the Santa Cruz itself. I really like my Hyundai, especially the driver assist features and the overall quality. I have the same driver assist options on the new Ford, but I prefer Hyundai's approach on the blind spot warning specifically. My Ford BLIS system just has a light in the side view mirror that lights up as a warning when someone is in my blind spot. The Hyundai has the light, too, but if you put on your turn signal while it is lit, you will get an auditory warning. I really think that helps. To Ford's credit, I can adjust the BLIS for trailer length, but that is on tap to set up this week for the first time. But, for the towing, the three numbers that are all important are tow vehicle cargo carrying capacity (which includes your weight on the hitch and your passengers and bed full of stuff), your rear axle/tires rating, and the gross combined weight rating (the weight of the trailer and the loaded truck itself). My 26X and dual axle trailer top out at about 4,800 lbs., but, I suspect that if I hooked it up to a Santa Cruz, one of those other numbers would not be within ratings. With my travel trailer I can use a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and take some of the load off the rear axle, but I have never seen anyone do that with a boat trailer. Again, just speculation. always have to crank all the the numbers. :|