Throttle assembly upgrade?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, Hamin' X, NiceAft, beene, Catigale

COmacx
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Throttle assembly upgrade?

Post by COmacx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:22 pm

I have a 1995 26x and was looking for a better solution to the throttle than the original HUGE one mounted on the pedestal -- it is notorious for pinching your hand or fingers between the steering & you have to stand on your head to insert the key. (and, mine slips and is quite finicky to put in neutral position to start the engine) I have been told by our marina that since the wires and electrical system are built in to it that a replacement isn't easy to find.

I had "tilted" the installation a couple of years back to try to help, but even that doesn't help much.

Any advice out there???

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Throttle assembly upgrade?

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 pm

I don’t know what engine and control you have, but I moved the Honda control, which looks similar, up high and reversed the handle so the thumb button for tilt/trim is actually under my thumb. I wrote it up in the Mods section years ago. Hopefully it’s still there now that Mods is back up.

COmacx

Post by COmacx » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Thank you!

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 am

After I did this rework, I added the helm guard (from BWY) which has a high attachment point for the main sheet lower block. I usually put it in reverse to get the handle out of the way when sailing anyway, and to reduce the risk of a slack sheet snagging the handle.

One of the best mods I've ever done, to any boat. The original throttle mount looked like yours. Just Awful. :P

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 am

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 am

Russ wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 am
Tom's mod documented

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=1714
Thanks for putting that link up, Russ. Is there still a three-photo limit? There doesn't seem to be a limit on number of pics in regular posts any more, like there used to be.

If no limit, maybe I can add the process photos for anyone who might want to know what's involved.

And I'm glad the photos still exist in the Mods section. Most of what I'd posted over the years were on Photobucket, and I closed my account when they went to a pay model. So most are lost, though many were hosted by tinypic. And they're no longer accepting photos, and may not be displaying those from long ago. :x

But I do have the originals for every photo I've ever posted, at least. :wink:
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 am

I have been told by our marina that since the wires and electrical system are built in to it that a replacement isn't easy to find.
Depends on your ability level. If you just want a single OEM connector that you plug in and are done then there is a bit of truth to that. If you are willing to connect a few bullet connectors inside the box then your options are many. Open it and look inside at the connectors. They all use straight push bullet electrical connectors and 33c cables, which is why you can buy generic boxes from brands like teleflex. If you are willing to plug in the individual bullet connectors for the trim, neutral, key, and buzzer, about 9 wires, then they are all pretty much universal. Any brand will run any outboard.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=751

Your older :macx: pedestal may be limited on room inside. If there is enough room you could order a flush control. I was too cheap to order a flush mount so bought a used binnacle mount on ebay and cut the side panel so only the lever came out.