Hot water heater

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, Hamin' X, NiceAft, beene, Catigale

Seapup
Captain

Hot water heater

Post by Seapup » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 am

Wanted to share this since I have tried a few options and this one has worked out well over the past year and half. Its small, fairly light, and comes in a bag so there is nothing to install and easy to leave at home if its not needed. Not much setup, pump drops in a water container and use. I just use one of the blue square jugs and not the boat tank. The flame is automatic, water flows its on, water stops its off, there are no buttons to push.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Carryin ... B077YWNWXV

https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/qu ... er-heater/

From reading the reviews, it seems it is questionable about receiving one not broken. More than one posted a review about receiving broken units. It seems to be an example of buyer beware.

Ray

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Hot water heater

Post by BOAT » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 am

Hey Pup!

Did not want your post to go unanswered - I think the water heater is very nice - because it's smaller than the other ones I have seen.

The big deal on water heaters is propane. Propane is not allowed inside of boats - so it's not the first choice that a lot of boaters turn to for hot water.
Most folks do ignore the propane rule on boats but some of us are not comfortable with it. Even in my van I am afraid of it and have sensors and alarms and cut off switches. In the boat the propane stays in the boat because there are no holes in the hull for it to escape. It can turn your bilge into a bomb. The gasoline in the cockpit already scares me, I'm terrified of propane inside the boat.
If they made one of these things that ran on alcohol it would probably be more popular on boats.

Still, it looks like a nice water heater. Seems like a great device to use in the cockpit.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:40 am

Propane is allowed inside boats and there are ABYC standards for it. While a continuous propane leak into your bilge can end in disaster, small leaks do dissipate rather quickly. I do like the idea for deck showering though.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 am

Nice.

However I agree with BOAT about the propane. We have propane for the grill, but don't feel safe below decks.

This could work well in the cockpit. It seems ideal in that regard.

jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:10 pm

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/seg ... a-2538151/

Article In Spanish. A week ago a catamaran named Miss Adventure caught on fire the elderly couple onboard died one burnt the other from smoke. Report sad they had gotten a propane tank refilled 2 days before. Terrible thing to happen.
Most boats bigger than Macs use propane I'll stick to to Origo Alcohol stove. I use a propane Magma grill and store the bottles topside.

The admiral who is cold all the time will have me heat some water on the stove for her. The Costway looks pretty neat easier than the stove plus already have those green bottle onboard. Great also because seems were end up bathing at night.
How long does a propane bottle last?

PS. OK here just got power back (2 days) after earthquake...

rsvpasap
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by rsvpasap » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:24 pm

I've had one of these for four years and we've used it for at least 200 hot showers. https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/produ ... ctric-Only

Yes, it's somewhat expensive. Yes, it takes 30-40 amp hours of electricity to heat 3 gallons of water to 140 degrees. With a mixing valve, that makes 5-6 gallons of water at the appropriate temperature for a shower. It's awesome. If I didn't have this, I would probably buy or build a Big Kahuna type shower with a 500-750 watt heating element and run it on the inverter as needed. https://bigkahunashowers.com/

Personally, I don't bring propane inside the cabin, even one pound canisters. If you do, at the least get a couple of ignition protected bilge blowers.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 pm

Well I think to make hot water with 12v does not work. You cannot squeze out 300W of a 60HP ob.
So if you really wanted to do so you would have to invest in lithiuferrum additional batteries. All doable $$$$

If you install propane in a boat - as fare as I know - the bottles stay outside. Then you will mount a switch INSIDE the boat that can turn the gas off OUTSIDE the boat. So there would be just gas on in the boat when cooking. That was the theorie... So forgetting to switch of the gas... will happen I guess...

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:17 am

kurz wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 pm
If you install propane in a boat - as fare as I know - the bottles stay outside. Then you will mount a switch INSIDE the boat that can turn the gas off OUTSIDE the boat. So there would be just gas on in the boat when cooking. That was the theorie... So forgetting to switch of the gas... will happen I guess...
Yes, that's how my big boat was configured, and it's probably an ABYC requirement. LP cylinders stay outside, in a closed, gasketed locker in the swim platform, which in turn is vented from the bottom directly to the outdoors. The gas solenoid is in that locker, and is controlled from the galley. The switch in mine was lighted, and in a prominent place, so it was easy to see when it was active.

And, of course, the two 4.5 lb [2 kg] gas cylinders each had their own mechanical shutoff valve. But an LP sensor is necessary in case of an undetected leak. This would be more important when sleeping. My boat didn't have heat, and I don't know if any use LP for heat, though I doubt it (diesel, most likely). But that's a big deal with RVs [caravans] where LP is probably the most common source of heat for gas [petrol] powered rigs.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 am

Hi Jimmy - Ray was asking if David was okay - we were worried about you because they said on the news there was a big earth quake.

I have that issue with Rose - she wants hot water - I put a big metal tank thing that Kevin showed me on the stove in the galley - alcohol burns really hot so the big tank is hot in about 11 to 15 minutes and makes enough hot water for two showers with enough left over for the dishes.

Rose cooks like a gourmet in our van and I have a big fridge and freezer and large stove and outdoor oven and a huge tank of propane so she can go hog wild - but our deal on the boat is that she takes it easy and we eat lite with little cooking. It's a vacation for her too on the boat and I insist we paddle ashore and go to the restaurant if there is one. She does not like us to spend the money in restaurants but I don't like to see her work so hard when we are supposed to be at leisure so the hot water is mostly for showers.

(I can see being cheap when your camping but hey, the boating life is supposed to exorbitant, right? 8)

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:24 am

Seapup wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 am
Wanted to share this since I have tried a few options and this one has worked out well over the past year and half. Its small, fairly light, and comes in a bag so there is nothing to install and easy to leave at home if its not needed. Not much setup, pump drops in a water container and use. I just use one of the blue square jugs and not the boat tank. The flame is automatic, water flows its on, water stops its off, there are no buttons to push.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Carryin ... B077YWNWXV

https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/qu ... er-heater/

From reading the reviews, it seems it is questionable about receiving one not broken. More than one posted a review about receiving broken units. It seems to be an example of buyer beware.

Ray

All should have the results of seapup, just be aware.

Ray

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Fill kettle with water , put kettle on stove , turn on stove , while waitin on the water to boil cleanes bath internal organ,s with a large glass of Scotch & lay down large beach towel to stand on in cockpit & inform all boat neighbors it,s time for ur weekly Sponge Bath whether u need it or not & nudity will b involved & if their is any Peaches in the marina who would like to join this Apple in his prime :) for a free sponge bath & up for makin some Vodka smoothie,s afterwards u r more than welcome & if u have a twin sister she,s welcome too I,ll just have too put two kettle,s on :o , then when it,s time to Bath pour hot water into bucket bring out a bar of soap & some sponges , shake out the martinis & play music " come on Baby light my fire " & the sponges fly . sure sounds a lot better to me :P
I,m hallucinating again so don,t worry but sure sounds good to me lol

J 8)
PS I just don,t understand all privacy nonsense u got it flaunt it ! :wink:

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm

some of us don't got it

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Oh next Morn play this when the Lady,s leave

I,m such a romantic :)
J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

BOAT wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm
some of us don't got it
Boat r u telling me u have a short Tiller or u don,t git it ? then u need to open up ur horizon,s :P I,m just addin some humor just was so temping :wink:
& they say it,s not what u got but how u use it ! 8)

J :?

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:17 am
kurz wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Yes, that's how my big boat was configured, and it's probably an ABYC requirement. LP cylinders stay outside, in a closed, gasketed locker in the swim platform, which in turn is vented from the bottom directly to the outdoors. The gas solenoid is in that locker, and is controlled from the galley. The switch in mine was lighted, and in a prominent place, so it was easy to see when it was active.
Yup, and you can also get solenoids with fume detector that will shut the gas off if a leak is detected.