Any one heading for the Seattle Boat Show?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Chinook
Admiral

Any one heading for the Seattle Boat Show?

Post by Chinook » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm tentatively planning to go to the Seattle Boat Show on the second Saturday, February 1. Anyone out there planning to go? It won't be quite the same, now that Blue Water Yachts is no longer selling new Macs/Tattoos. They were a fixture at the Boat Show for decades, and it was always fun to go over and visit with Todd, Cheryl, Ray and others. We could count on meeting up with Mac owners we'd previously met at the annual BWY rendezvous. Those days are now history, however, it's still fun to go to the Boat Show. If any of you out there will be attending that day, it would be fun to meet up and swap stories.

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Any one heading for the Seattle Boat Show?

Post by Russ » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Would love to attend, however we are traveling. Give us a report.

Our boat attended the show as one of BWY's demos.

--Russ

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:08 pm

How was the show? That would be a good boondoggle for next year I could plan for.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:59 pm

I spent the last Saturday at the show, and enjoyed the time. Took advantage of the $3 parking in the Mariner's stadium parking garage, a short walk from the show. Enjoyed visiting with folks at the Waggoners both, and also had a nice time reconnecting with Tova and Pierre at their Echo Bay Marina booth. They're amazing folks, and have their place up for sale, if anyone's interested. As Tova says, for them it's been a 40 year overnight success. Walked through a beautiful 45 foot American Tug, as well as some other beautiful boats. Bittersweet on the floor though, not seeing that MacGregor mast and sail, proudly sticking up amongst all those fiberglass powerboats in the Blue Water Yachts Booth. Todd and Cheryl were mainstays at the Seattle show for decades. Had some interesting conversations with reps selling anchors. Anchor design technology continues to make amazing strides. It seems like the Rochna was the latest and best just a few years ago, however, I saw a few new designs which have improved on it. Booths upstairs featured electronics and accessories, as usual, and a good opportunity to talk with company reps about radios, GPS, and lots of other things. The Captains booth had lots of great reading for sale, and the authors of several cruising books were on hand to sign copies. In the afternoon we hopped aboard the shuttle bus and went over to the boats afloat gathering on Lake Union. I fell in love with a 2005 42 foot Island Packet motor sailor, only $250,000 and looking to be a very good deal. Also walked through a $13.5 million yacht, brand new and built up in Vancouver BC. Interesting but I declined to place an offer. To top off the day I sat in on a seminar on cruising the West Coast of Vancouver Island. We had cruised those waters last summer, and it was fun seeing and hearing someone else's take on the area. The speaker has cruised the area 30 or more times, and she's written a well regarded book on her experiences. Great presentation and a nice way to wrap up my trip to the Boat Show.

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:08 am

Sounds like a great time. I suppose a great way to make an IP seem affordable is to immediately look at a 13.5 million dollar yacht :!: :D
I have spent many hours trolling IPs for sale on yacht world.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 am

Thanks for the great write-up Mike!

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:07 am

interesting.

Well, concerning achors, the Rocna might be good.

But the Jambo is far way better. Wins all tests. Good holding power is for years standard. But the grabbing quality makes the deal. How easily the anchor holds. Comfort if it works the first time. Life saving if it digs in in strongs winds/waves when the anchor comes up for a second.

here it is:

And the best: In the :macm: anchor locker I can store TWO Jambo anchors: One with 8kg and one with 11kg.

Might be interesting if the Jambo gets copied soon as the patents lost las year.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 am

kurz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:07 am
interesting.

Well, concerning achors, the Rocna might be good.

But the Jambo is far way better. Wins all tests. Good holding power is for years standard. But the grabbing quality makes the deal. How easily the anchor holds. Comfort if it works the first time. Life saving if it digs in in strongs winds/waves when the anchor comes up for a second.

here it is:

And the best: In the :macm: anchor locker I can store TWO Jambo anchors: One with 8kg and one with 11kg.

Might be interesting if the Jambo gets copied soon as the patents lost las year.
That's a very interesting anchor. I can't find anyplace in the US to buy one.

It also doubles as a Trident :D

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 am

@Russ: Did you ask the seller in Europa if he has an idea?

Firs I had the 11kg. Later I got the 8kg. If I new that it is SO MUCH EASIER to handle an 8kg I bought both the first day. And like sayd both go in the anchor locker without taking them apart. And on top the anchor line is there also.

For me it is the logical form in engeneering and it combines all the benefits of all anchors in one.