nonstick crazy idea

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, Hamin' X, NiceAft, beene, Catigale

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

nonstick crazy idea

Post by Russ » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 pm

I bought this stuff to try on snow. I have no idea what's in it. Goes on clear.
It works pretty well to keep snow from sticking.

So, I got this crazy idea to apply it to the bottom of the hull.
Every year I apply wax to the bottom which helps, but at the end of the season there is always a good layer of slime.

I'm going to test an area and see if it keeps slime from sticking.

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: nonstick crazy idea

Post by Starscream » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:18 am

Not so crazy.

There are lots of products out there that claim to do that for boats. There were a few active discussions on this website years ago, discussing the merits of hydrophobic vs. hydrophilic coatings. Several of us were going to try out different products to see what their effect on speed and marine growth actually was. As far as I know, none of us actually bought a product like that and tried it out. I know my hull still has the same super-rough, pitted/dimpled anti-fouling as it did when we were discussing those products. Every year I tell myself I'm going to re-do the bottom paint, but I never do. But this year will be different. (no it won't)

One of the products under discussion back then was Seaslide, which has since disappeared. Now there are lots of similar products, like this one: https://www.hullspeed.us/ all making similar claims of +10% speed and anti-fouling properties.

I can't remember the technical details, but back then the argument of companies like Seaslide was that you don't want a hydrophobic coating (like teflon), but instead a hydrophilic coating that keeps the hull wet so that the friction experienced by the moving hull was water/water and not water/hull. There are now a number of hydrophobic products like this one: http://www.wearloncorp.com/index.php/pr ... ed_Coat-49
that claim to do the same thing.

Bottom line, is: give it a try, and let us know!