Transom Fairlead replacement

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Transom Fairlead replacement

Post by sunshinecoasting » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi People,

After a recent severe grounding on a sandbank with my rudders tied in the down position I need to replace the two fairleads on the lower transom that help hold the rudders down while travelling. They are completely broken and luckily wore the brunt of the force and no damage occured to the rudders themselves. So they are held in place with what I thought were 2 X SS philips head screws, however after loosening them I find they just spin and spin and wont come undone, leading me to think they are actually bolts that pass right through the transom? Seriously? why would Macgregor put through hull holes in a transom when screws would have sufficed? Anywho, I have not yet climbed down the back of the boat and removed the transom panel to see if I can access the nuts. Can anyone confirm that these are indeed bolts with nuts making this fix a two person job or are they screws and I have other problems???

Cheers, Den.

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Transom Fairlead replacement

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Sorry, didn't see you had an X till after I responded. I couldn't delete my post, so... I have to stand in the corner in front of the class now. :cry:

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:33 pm

I replaced some on my deck for my roller furler, but I haven't looked at the ones on the back. The ones on the deck are just screwed down like you expected. If someone doesn't chime in, please let us know what you find so that we have the answer here.

Blue Water Yachts has the fairleads for super cheap. They're $2 for these: http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4407-1v0.htm or you can spend $5.49 for the ones with the stainless insert http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4407-1v4.htm

Jeff

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:21 am

Thanks Jeff but I already have replacements, just don't know how to go about fitting them yet, yes when I find out how they are attached I will let you know.

krum

Post by krum » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm afraid its going to take 2 persons. 2 bolts per fairlead, the upper one is easy to get to. the lower one will take some doing to reach the bolts. I took a couple of photos with my phone, but no kids around to show me how to attach photos. the bolts look like 3/8 X 2in. Best of luck.