Posting Signatures is now enabled. Please check your signature settings in your user control panel->profile (click your username top right)

Fun With Ladders

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, Catigale, Hamin' X, beene, NiceAft

Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Fun With Ladders

Post by Todd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 pm

I started Boat projects this week. Started with the trailer....found one bearing that had water intrusion so added that to the list. The rest were fine so I moved onto ladder accessories. I had already put the extended ladder on the back from Blue Water Yachts and it helped significantly with getting out of the water. But I continue to search for a better way to get on the :macm: without having to squeeze by the motor. I picked up a hook ladder from one of the sporting good stores (you can see it in the pictures) and I also picked up the dock side ladder that hooks to the Genoa track from BWY and finally installed it. I had tried the rope ladder with the four steps and it was just too flimsy for me and my wife who has a hard time with mobility sometimes. But I was surprised on how well the hook ladder actually went over the aft quarter. That particular ladder only goes to the waterline so we will have to test it out however if it works. It is light and the hooks fold in so theoretically I could eliminate the heavier four step stepstool that I have to keep down in the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fun With Ladders

Post by dlandersson » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 am

We have the hook ladder and it seems to work pretty well. What the kids do is slip their legs over the bottom rung, then begin to climb up. 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 am

Whatever ladder has the lowest rung below the water surface is the one I would use. The stock ladder on the :macx: just doesn't make it for me, as it doesn't go deep enough. My 20-something kids have little trouble with it when wakeboarding, but I'm not 20-something any more. It's no fun trying to haul my 230 lb out of the drink when the first step is at chest level; I just don't bend like I used to. :P

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:14 am

Tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:54 am
I just don't bend like I used to. :P
Me either! The rope ladder with rungs was downright comical trying to use it.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 am

THIS COULD WORK!

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:40 am

Todd wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 pm
That particular ladder only goes to the waterline so we will have to test it out however if it works.
Any reason you couldn't mod the ladder with a strap to serve as a bottom rung?

It wouldn't have to hold your full weight - just get you high enough to get your other foot on the first solid rung.

And i won't take up any more space when stowed.

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:40 am

Any reason you couldn't mod the ladder with a strap to serve as a bottom rung?

It wouldn't have to hold your full weight - just get you high enough to get your other foot on the first solid rung.

And i won't take up any more space when stowed.
Thats a great idea! I might even be able to adapt the rope ladder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Yes, that is one thing I do remember from my youth – climbing the ratlines. As a kid I got crewed out often.

My wife was really shocked when we went to Mesa Verde and the Indian guide told us to climb up a big ladder to get to the caves. I was hanging from the top of the ladder with one arm and one leg out helping the guide get the folks up the ladder – I was feeling so good up there looking out off the top straight down a 300 foot drop. It reminded me of my childhood.

That all faded when the Indian guide told me to squeeze through a tiny hole in a rock to get to the next cave. (Man, am I fat!)

I loved being out on the yards when I was a kid – (hull, I still like it) – the important thing about climbing ratlines is to make sure you can spot your feet by sliding them along the shrouds – if you can feel the shroud, you can find the ratline without using your eyes. Same thing with your ladder contraption there – just slide your foot along the outside like as if it’s a shroud and you will always find the ratline without even seeing it.

That’s the main problem with rope ladders – you can’t see where the rung is to put your foot – especially at the futtock where you need to reach around and over an obstacle (much like getting over the outboard).

It sure would be cool if the MAC mast could have a rope ladder. (I’m so fat I would tip the boat over!)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 am

8) Hey, look at that - sig lines are back!
Tom

Be seeing you . . .