Posting Signatures is now enabled. Please check your signature settings in your user control panel->profile (click your username top right)

Sliding Hatch gap (companionway)

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, Catigale, Hamin' X, beene, NiceAft

Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Sliding Hatch gap (companionway)

Post by Todd » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Has anyone figured out a good method for covering the gap between the sliding hatch and the companionway door when the boat is in storage or even between uses? :macm: I continue to get a lot of sand because the wind around here picks it up off the ground and it throws it in to the interior. I’m trying to figure out a way to close the gap When stored or even between uses? I continue to get a lot of sand because the wind around here picks it up off the ground and it throws it in to the interior. I’m trying to figure out a way to close the gap between the hatch in the companion way. I have looked through most of the mods and cannot find anything that addresses this.the PO used foam and stiffed it in there but I am trying to find a more creative approach.

Todd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd
'07 26M

BOAT
Admiral

Re: Sliding Hatch gap (companionway)

Post by BOAT » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:59 pm

I Have! :)

But I was told by Jimmy that's where you throw the wharf fat so I'm not real sure I should tell you to seal it up.

If you want to it's a simple fix:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BH ... UTF8&psc=1

use round foam stuff like this or pool noodle

cut rubber on one side and slide over hatch door top OR if you want to stop bumping your head slide it on the edge of the sliding hatch.

BUT BE WARNED!!!!

I have been told by a very reliable pirate captain (jimmyt) that sealing the hole will prevent throwing your wharf fat though the space AND it could make your boat blow up because the stove fumes will kill you in an awful explosion of fire and death and pain.

Just so you would know.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:21 pm

I feel that something may have been lost in the translation... :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:20 am

You could do an external canvas cover that Velcro - attached over the hatch gap. Or, you could add an interior gasket out of foam rubber or pipe insulation - similar to what BOAT is suggesting - only more complicated (as is my tendency).

Just spitballing to get the ideas flowing...

Yes, I realize that the sketch shows the sliding hatch lip below the top of the companionway board. It’ll give BOAT something to beat me with...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

I experimented with a few methods about 6 months ago when i created that shower thing that hangs in the area.

The main issue I have with the companionway hatch - in fact I have the issue with almost ALL sailboat companionway hatches - is:

What the hull do you do if your inside and someone locks the outside lock?
(you crawl through the forward hatch, dummy!) hopefully the pirates have not blocked the forward hatch.

Yeah, I know - but you see how the whole setup is sort of bass ackwards - all sailboats are like this.

Same with trying to seal up the door to keep out the wharf fat - if you do that how do you slide the hatch /? :? ? :?

And not to mention the issues of using a sealing method that works from the OUTSIDE - how do you deploy it from the INSIDE?

After many hours of screwing around with this I have decided a wood mod is the answer but I have yet to decide on a final design. The final design will allow me to lock the hatch from the INSIDE and also modify the outside latch a little so that it can be locked in the open position so no one locks me in the boat.

Very few MAC sailors are live abords so this has not been a big issue.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 pm

BOAT: you are not the only nut to worry about getting locked in... 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Jimmyt wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:20 am
You could do an external canvas cover that Velcro - attached over the hatch gap. Or, you could add an interior gasket out of foam rubber or pipe insulation - similar to what BOAT is suggesting - only more complicated (as is my tendency).

Just spitballing to get the ideas flowing...

Ok, so that helped. I kept trying to solve it from the outside but I thing you are onto something. If I build a custom door I can hinge it at the top and the then apply the correct thickness of foam at the top. I could put the hinge low enough to mount the same type of hinge bracket for locking on the outside. If I pit a simple pull rope with a knot on the inside I can pull the hinged part closed from the outside.

From the inside it would provide a better ventilation gap for temp control sand since I always use the bug net it would be fine bug-wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd
'07 26M

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:44 pm

You could add that hinged/gasketed strip to the top of your existing board if you wanted. Good idea to make it hinged. You may have to do something tricky at the ends due to the way the edges are shaped.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm

We have fought valiant battles with that gap over the years. Left unattended, it's a virtual mosquito funnel, and can make trying to sleep in the cabin a disaster. We made a flap out of sunbrella, attached from the inside with Velcro sewn onto the flap edges and attached to adhesive Velcro strips, taped to the inside of the sliding hatch. With care, it can block most of the space used by unwanted visitors of the insect variety. They can also enter at the forward end of the sliding hatch, though. We roll up small micro fiber hand towels and stuff them in that space. It only takes a couple mosquitoes, buzzing around the ears, to ruin any chance at restful sleep.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 am

Chinook wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm
We have fought valiant battles with that gap over the years. Left unattended, it's a virtual mosquito funnel, and can make trying to sleep in the cabin a disaster. We made a flap out of sunbrella, attached from the inside with Velcro sewn onto the flap edges and attached to adhesive Velcro strips, taped to the inside of the sliding hatch. With care, it can block most of the space used by unwanted visitors of the insect variety. They can also enter at the forward end of the sliding hatch, though. We roll up small micro fiber hand towels and stuff them in that space. It only takes a couple mosquitoes, buzzing around the ears, to ruin any chance at restful sleep.
Are mosquitoes attracted to wharf fat?

Mosquitos are not a big problem here on the west coast but in the camper we use one of these:

Would that work?

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 am

Slight correction. Mosquitoes are a big problem in the Northwest. Drier down in California, but try leaving the hatch open, even just a crack, in a quiet Northwest anchorage. You'll regret it.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am

For sure - also camping - we take our camper into your parts all the time and certain parts of the year the mosquitos will eat us with their teeth so we use a thermocell and that keeps them away from us.

have you tried a thermocell in your boat yet? We have not tried it in the boat because as you say - there has not been an opportunity (mosquitos do not like Southern Cal) I was just wondering if the way we do it in the camper would work for you in the boat?

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 pm

BOAT wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am
For sure - also camping - we take our camper into your parts all the time and certain parts of the year the mosquitos will eat us with their teeth so we use a thermocell and that keeps them away from us.

have you tried a thermocell in your boat yet? We have not tried it in the boat because as you say - there has not been an opportunity (mosquitos do not like Southern Cal) I was just wondering if the way we do it in the camper would work for you in the boat?
What manner of black magic do you have in that box, BOAT? A bunch of bats maybe? I've never heard of that device before.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:06 pm

BOAT wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 am

We have used one of those thermacell devices. It seems to work fairly well. We don't have a big mosquito problem, but we do have some.
--Russ

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Russ, after all that harassment he gave me over stove fuel, BOAT has a flaming gas-powered bug repeller... No wonder he's worried about fuel vapors. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo