Leaking ballast drain valve 26D

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

warren631
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Leaking ballast drain valve 26D

Post by warren631 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm

I was checking my ballast tank while on the trailer and noticed the drain valve was leaking a little when closed tight. Crud between the valve gasket and hull fiberglass. How do I clean it? I can't open the valve wide enough to clean between the valve surfaces. I'm afraid to open it too much and drop the threaded stem through the bottom and not be able to get it back in. Suggestions? Does it really matter all that much provided the vent valve is closed tight? Just keep an eye on the water level? Would the water leak in or out?

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Leaking ballast drain valve 26D

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:24 am

warren631 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm
I was checking my ballast tank while on the trailer and noticed the drain valve was leaking a little when closed tight. <snip> Would the water leak in or out?
If it's full, water won't leak in or out at rest, but will leak when heeled. How fast depends on the size of the leak. But with 1200 lb of water ballast (144 gallons), you'd have to be heeled an awfully long time to make any difference in the ballast level, again depending on the size of the leak.

I doubt the vent seal will make much difference, if any. Air is pretty small, and will sneak past the seal if it wants to. It's probably under water anyway when heeled.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stevenhigbee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 am

warren631 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm
I was checking my ballast tank while on the trailer and noticed the drain valve was leaking a little when closed tight. Crud between the valve gasket and hull fiberglass. How do I clean it? I can't open the valve wide enough to clean between the valve surfaces. I'm afraid to open it too much and drop the threaded stem through the bottom and not be able to get it back in. Suggestions? Does it really matter all that much provided the vent valve is closed tight? Just keep an eye on the water level? Would the water leak in or out?
If it's the same as the 26-S, and BWY suggests that it is, then it is utter simplicity to take apart, clean, and reinstall while on the trailer. If you have the original rubber, you should probably replace it while you are in the process.
http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/h203-1c0.htm
http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/h202-1c0.htm

warren631
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by warren631 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:20 am

As I said, I'm afraid to open the drain valve too much and drop the threaded stem out through the bottom and not be able to guide the threaded stem back up through the hole in the top of the tank.

Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stevenhigbee » Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 am

I was afraid too until I saw what the whole assembly looked like. Before that, I wondered what hardware might be inside (none). Putting it back in from underneath, you have to blindly poke the shaft until you find the hole it goes through on the upper side. I imagine you could thread a string through the hole for the cotter pin before dropping it out, to make it easier to guide back in.

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Newell » Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am

Not to be contentious but this is not true if the ballast tank also has a leak.
If it's full, water won't leak in or out at rest, but will leak when heeled. How fast depends on the size of the leak. But with 1200 lb of water ballast (144 gallons), you'd have to be heeled an awfully long time to make any difference in the ballast level, again depending on the size of the leak.

I doubt the vent seal will make much difference, if any. Air is pretty small, and will sneak past the seal if it wants to. It's probably under water anyway when heeled.
/quote]

I know because I halfway sunk my D in 2018. :x

Stevenhigbee, be brave, drop the fill valve and fix.
Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D