26M emergency tiller and tiller autopilot

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

madsroesen
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 26M emergency tiller and tiller autopilot

Post by madsroesen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Russ, BOAT - thank you for comments :-). I did see another less fancy version of the "autopilot under the bed" version and of cause the "classic" donut on wheel before I made my choice. I had 3 reasons for finally going for what I did...in order.
1. Price - this has cost me only 60$ for an old autohelm1000 and a steel pipe from the scrap yard.
2. Emergency steering - have had a few discussions with myself how to get home if the steering cable should fail.
3. Tiller steering - although the wheel steering is nice, sometimes I miss the direct feel of tiller steering.

I am still working on finalizing the setup above deck - will post pictures when finished :-)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:54 pm

madsroesen wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Russ, BOAT - thank you for comments :-). I did see another less fancy version of the "autopilot under the bed" version and of cause the "classic" donut on wheel before I made my choice. I had 3 reasons for finally going for what I did...in order.
1. Price - this has cost me only 60$ for an old autohelm1000 and a steel pipe from the scrap yard.
2. Emergency steering - have had a few discussions with myself how to get home if the steering cable should fail.
3. Tiller steering - although the wheel steering is nice, sometimes I miss the direct feel of tiller steering.

I am still working on finalizing the setup above deck - will post pictures when finished :-)
And I agree with all of your reasons - for one thing using a standard tiller portable unit is good because of the price but also because they are easy to replace and as technology progresses you can get improved units. It's less complicated removing the AP from the rudders too.
Emergency steering is ALWAYS a good idea for a sailboat that has a wheel - wheel steering is prone to failure - tillers always work. (And I agree - they feel better too).

madsroesen

Post by madsroesen » Sat May 23, 2020 12:00 pm

So I finally got to the live test on a two day trip. Works wonders. Used the auto for some 6 hours. Mostly with the motor and steering wheel disengaged, but For trst also ran it with motor and wheel and it worked as well - but probably wears more on the Autohelm.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 am

Dang! I wish I could really see those pictures enlarged but Russes hosting site does not seem to have an updated certificate or somthing - when I click on the pictures all I get is this:

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 am

Postimage has a secure certificate.

Where are you trying to view this from? A work computer?
It appears to be a block message from Sonepar
They seem to have blacklisted the host. Probably because it contains images.

Can you see this direct link?

--Russ

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 am

BOAT wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 am
Dang! I wish I could really see those pictures enlarged but Russes hosting site does not seem to have an updated certificate or somthing - when I click on the pictures all I get is this:

I have no trouble opening/enlarging them.

You sure the site doesn't mean "suspicious viewer"? :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .