Wood plate between motor and transom

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Mac19
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Wood plate between motor and transom

Post by Mac19 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Hello,

First time poster here and hopefully first time MacGregor owner as well. I am looking at a 93 Mac 19 that I am ready to buy as everything on it is immaculate condition. My only hold up is not understanding why this wood back plate is attached between the motor and glass on transom. Owner says it's had it since he bought it 20 yrs ago and didn't think it was any cause for concern. Is this normal? Is there cause for concern it shows issue with transom? Here are some pics. Thanks everyone!

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Wood plate between motor and transom

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Looks like he used it for a spacer to make up for the thickness of the trim piece at the top of the transom. I wouldn't be concerned about it except for the fact that it needs to be replaced. A different material, maybe HDPE, would be better than raw wood.

Obviously, I can't see behind it to tell if he's hiding something. But, based on the trim thickness, the motor bracket would not have been parallel to the transom without it. So, I agree that some sort of spacer is required.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Maraquita
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Maraquita » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:46 pm

I had the same thing under the outboard bracket on my Venture 25. It looked that bad after only 5 years so I replaced it with a piece of plastic. As JimmyT said, without removing it you won't know for sure, but it is the least thing that I would worry about.

Dougiestyle
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Dougiestyle » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:02 pm

I had the same thing on my :macx: it was rotted also. I removed it and built another one and coated it with epoxy resin. There was nothing wrong with my transom. Now I think i should of replace it with an aluminium plate.(much stronger), someday I might get a bigger motor. I believe It was on there due to the transom trim as mentioned.
Dougie
1998 26X, Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"