Rub rail replacement for 1985 Mac 25

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Seadoc
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Rub rail replacement for 1985 Mac 25

Post by Seadoc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:22 am

I want to replace the damaged original rub rail on my 1985 Mac 25. That rail has an aluminum extrusion with a central insert. The extrusion is secured by about "a million" small nuts and bolts.

Has anyone done a replacement on a Mac 25. If so, what brand of rub rail did you use and did you remove the extrusion and replace it with a vinyl/rubber rub rail with an insert?

Thanks.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: Rub rail replacement for 1985 Mac 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 am

All those "little nuts and bolts" also hold the deck to the hull. It would be a huge job to remove all the alum extrusion, not to mention expensive. If you do it, it would be a good time to reseal the deck/hull joint. I have read some accounts of others having difficulties getting the two halves back together after separating them (don't do alot at one time). I am glad that the rail is aluminum, it can take abuse. Plastic rub rails do not hold up very well in my opinion. How much of your alum extrusion is damaged? I scrapped a Mac, and saved the rail pieces. They are yours, if you come get them. I am at the head of the Bay in North East MD.