Repurposing Teak

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Chinook
Admiral

Repurposing Teak

Post by Chinook » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 pm

About a year ago my son replaced his hardwood flooring. The front and back entries had wood gratings with nice wide framing pieces, which he held onto. He asked me if I wanted the material, and after I realized that it was all solid teak, the answer came easy. I've just finished several projects, incorporating the teak into our boat. First effort was to convert the gratings into a stern deck platform, as well as a level platform to stand on, right behind the pedestal. No more uneven surfaces where throttle cables run back to the transom, and no more steering arms and gas lines to avoid stepping on when exiting through the stern. Encouraged by that, I decided to replace the two plastic companionway hatch tracks. The original plastic had badly oxidized and defied cleaning up. The teak strips look great. I also attached a teak strip to the bottom of the companionway hatch. This covered up a lot of ugly chips, and also, due to its nice, tight fit, eliminates any chance of mosquitoes coming in under the hatch. (We have a removable fabric cover to deal with the openings across the top of the hatch.) My last project involved construction of a cockpit table, complete with folding side leaves. I used flush mount hinges for the leaves, and hinged the supporting leg in the middle, so it neatly folds up and swings up against the underside of the table when it gets lowered to the vertical position, against the front of the pedestal. I used a snap to hold the hinged leg sections together when folded up, and used another snap to hold the table against the pedestal when in the down position. We have a fabric pedestal organizer which originally attached to the front of the pedestal with Velcro. I attached snaps to the corners of the organizer, and when the table is in the storage configuration, this organizer snaps to the folded up table. This allows full use of the organizer, and it also keeps the folded up table leaves from flopping open. I had barely enough teak to do all these projects, but I'm sure some ideas will occur to me for utilizing some of the remaining scrap.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Repurposing Teak

Post by kmclemore » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Interesting post. Given that teak is a wood which is becoming more scarce and that the harvesting isn’t always ethical, reusing it is very environmentally responsible.

One warning, however... although teak is quite lovely and an appropriate wood for a boat, one must be very careful when working with it. First, in order to prevent certain insects from invading the freshly cut wood, when harvested it is treated with some fairly toxic chemicals. In addition, the wood itself is a suspected cancer causing agent as well as an irritant. So, I strongly recommend that anyone working with teak should wear appropriate protective breathing filters as well as body dust protection, and to clean up promptly afterwards.