Yet Another Galley Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Yet Another Galley Mod

Post by OverEasy »

Admiral has seen your project and now has come down with a case of “galley envy”… :| :D :D
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

OverEasy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:28 pm Admiral has seen your project and now has come down with a case of “galley envy”… :| :D :D
Sorry about that! :|
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Highlander wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:18 pm
That's what friends r for :)
Look at it this way also if u want something for ur boat ur Admiral wont approve of ! just discreetly send me the cash I,ll order it on line pay for it with ur cash then have it shipped directly to U !
When it arrives & the Admiral says who approved this just Say Honey it's a gift from Highlander see look at the receipt he paid for it :D :D :D
J 8)

Now I bet I just opened up a whole new can of "Worms" :P
Genius! There's only one problem. The Admiral is in charge of finances. :?
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
LordElsinore
Deckhand

Post by LordElsinore »

adudinsk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 am Just wondering.. does ANYONE use the kitchen table to sleep on ..
That's my favorite spot to sleep on the boat! Though maybe that is because I got rid of the wavy funhouse mirror so I don't have to look at myself and mounted a very lightweight 12v flat screen up there instead...

5v USB-powered DVD player mounted to the bottom of the foldaway table as well:

TV plays through the stereo, and I have since positioned things a little better and hidden away all the cables and cords)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Very nice!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Yes Nice!
I like the fact that the mirror makes the boat look big... upon initial inspection...
But yeah.. it does get creepy.
If you remove it.. is the panel behind wood grain?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

LordElsmore said

That's my favorite spot to sleep on the boat! Though maybe that is because I got rid of the wavy funhouse mirror so I don't have to look at myself and mounted a very lightweight 12v flat screen up there instead.

Yep my favorite place to sleep also requires no bedding while sitting there half in the bag & talkin to my friend in the mirror so I can't git rid of it without losing my better half "self" fold my arms up on the table for a pillow & off we go ZZZZZ ! , funniest thing is my friend in the mirror always gits up same time as I do ! :? :o

My 20" tv is mounted on a swivel arm on the port side just inside the cabin entrance so every one can watch it from the dinning table in the front seat u look at it directly in the aft seat u watch it on the mirror reflection swing it out & u can watch it from the cockpit

I like the small dvd player where did u get it ?

Jimmyt ,
Very nice but what's takin u so long :P & why is their no liq, shelf :( I think u shoulda made the drawer deeper & turned it into a pull-out self dispensing liq cabinet :D
Just Sayin That's All :|
J 8)
LordElsinore
Deckhand

Post by LordElsinore »

Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:28 pm I like the small dvd player where did u get it ?
This is the DVD player. I power it from a USB cable connected to the back of the TV (which runs to a wall plate in the liner under the table that lets me connect HDMI and USB to the TV)

Here's an Amazon link

I came up with some little clips that I 3D printed which go around the feet at the bottom and screw into the underside of the table.

Since I'm at it, here's the TV, which I mounted with bolts that go straight through the wood partition between the head and the dining area. It weighs less than 10 pounds has a really good picture (very wide viewing angles) but sounds like crap unless you run the audio output through something else like the stereo.

and an Amazon link

I liked these both so much I bought another pair just like it and replaced the old ones in my motorhome which were 110v and had a terrible viewing angle. Made a big difference
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

I usually buy my Blu/ray from a resell store.. like (in Canada) Factory Direct.
Why?
Free Netflix
Most are refub'ed units...
Bought one.. could not figure out how to config netflix.
Turns out someone added their sub'ed account.. and returned the unit.
Watching free for years now..
(although I still have my account as well...)

LOL

Nice job.. bought a tiny 19" 720p tv that runs on native 12v. Was under $90.. so I pulled the trigger...
Trying to figure out a nice neat location to hang it.. And have it removable for when I store it.

AD
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

You guys know that your phones or iPads can be “hotspots” that can wirelessly link with a “smartTV” (like the ones preloaded with Roko) and use your existing subscriptions …. Right?🙄
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Well, finally got to go sailing in my own boat. The galley mod did not cause the boat to roll over when it floated off the trailer (BOAT was concerned :D ). It was the last good weather day for awhile, and I've got some medical stuff coming up, so I told my buddies we were going to sail my Mac today.

They were working on the Island Packet 31 fuel system, and got to a good stopping spot about lunch time. I trailered the boat to their yacht club and hung out with them while they made a few test runs of the engine to check their repairs. Then, we splashed the Mac and headed out. It was blowing 15 out of the southeast, and their club is in the northwest part of the bay, so it was a bit rough. Turned out to be a good test for the lock pins in the galley drawers. :D Also, the galley didn't tear the tracks out of the liner (although we tried pretty hard). Plates and cups all remained in the plate rack.

My crew are used to racing keel boats, so there is no heel angle that concerns them. I wish I could have gotten some pics at some of the ridiculous heel angles, but I was too busy trying to hang on and control the helm. Charley was on the main sheet, and Keith was on the Genoa sheets. Keith has been on the Mac, but Charley hadn't, so it was Charley's day to run the show. He sailed on the main only for a bit, creeping into the 5.1 -5.3 kt range. Then he wanted to add some Genoa, so we started at about 100% jib size. After getting used to that, he ran it all out. The Genoa pulls well, and we started breaking into the 6kt range. It was fun to watch my buddies tinkering with the boat. We had a few hours of rowdy sailing, including 3 gybes (because it was Charley's day and he loves to gybe). We took a good look at my main sail issues, and have some ideas on how to improve the sail shape. The roller furling main rig was not really setup properly when I bought the boat, and I haven't taken the time to debug it until now.

We dropped the sails, and raised the rudders and centerboard (leaving about a foot of centerboard down) and headed toward the harbor entrance. We had to approach the entrance from the south southeast, giving us a pretty big quartering sea to "help us in". I was glad to have a big outboard, and used it to keep up with the swell as I went through the entrance - minimizing the waddle.

Great afternoon sail with my buddies.

Charley getting the feel of the Mac with main alone. Keith doing rail meat duty.

Me having a great time at the helm, while Charley is figuring out how he can work in another gybe. I normally have a vest on, but didn't manage to get it on today. Feel free to chastise me for it. I need to practice what I preach. :|

No, we're not in 2ft of water. My transducer is not in a good spot :( . But, yes, we were doing 6.3kt. 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Great report on the galley and some vicarious living for us snowbound.
--Russ