Another Wind system for rotating mast

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Another Wind system for rotating mast

Post by 1st Sail » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm still on the hunt for an affordable wind system. I have been following the SailTimer Wind for some time. Their latest version seems to have some improvement over previous.
Sailtimerwind.com
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sailtimer+wi ... nb_sb_noss. Reviews are mixed.

Below is the an alternative I found while searching the web today.

OpenWind.de €419 exchange US $490. UPS freight to US $35.

Bluetooth 4.0 +. Open source connects to IOs or Android phone / tablets. NMEA 2000 or 0183 gateway available. I emailed them this AM and had a response in less than an hour.

Maybe worth a closer look.
:macm:

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Another Wind system for rotating mast

Post by Newell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Also watching wireless wind systems. This unit plus the interface prices up to the 1 boatbuck area close to where some of the other systems reside. Not having a dedicated readout screen drops me out of buying. I would like a system I could easily move between 2 boats. :macx: :tat: :?
Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I just checked it out. The price is now 550. U.S.
Ray ~~_/)~~

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am

So goes the exchange rate. 1.18 this morning. By the time we get thru Covid19 and pump up the National debt and M1 respectively who know where we will end up. I'm and unfavorable exchange rate and some level of inflation. So back to sailing.
Following is an excerpt from my email correspondence with the designer who engineered the Openwind.

FYI "The performance depends a lot on the device you have.
We recommend the newer models of tablets and smartphones because the GPS and compass are really good nowadays and the bluetooth as well.

The NMEAkit is accurate but the phone has a faster response time then most marine displays. The NMEAkit has a sample rate of 5 a second, but most marine displays will downsample it to 1 a second. With the phone you can have a faster response. But again, this depends on the phone that you have."

I would prefer a dedicated marine display which is visible in daylight. However, I may start with using my phone and tablet then adding the NMEAKit if and when I upgrade my chart plotter. IIRC Garmin etc. have chartplotters with built in wind data display capabilities. Whether they will accept wind data from non-OEM devices is questionable. Most are very proprietary. I don't know enough about NMEA 2000 standards as to whether it supports mixing of various marine mfg. devices.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm

interesting product. Question is if it can communicat with the raimarine-ev100 AP.

But an intervall of 5sec to talk to the AP is a very long time in my eyes...?

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm curious what is an acceptable output sample rate from a wind sensor if 5 per second is not sufficient for an auto pilot? If I understand his email correctly their network device receives via bluetooth and repeats to a NMEA or 0183 network a sample rate of 5 per second.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 am

Hello, I come from talkin to opendwind.de.

I really am interested as I could connect the windwane directely to the AP raymarine ev-100.

The problem is they cannot sell the version for rotating masts yet.
They have a second compass down in the boat that calculates the ratation from the mast. So there are two compasses, one inside the windwane and one in the receiver down in the boat.

Unfortunately the two compasses does not work properly. I didn't expect it can so difficult. As the have different circumstances in temperature and metall etc they get "nervous" such away.

So they work for better compass parts. As soon it will work I would be interested (no cables, rotation mast working, connectible to AP).
Till now I don't know of another windwane that works properly with our boats.