Where to buy Mac 26M in Europe or better import from US?

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Re: Where to buy Mac 26M in Europe or better import from US?

Post by Bilgemaster »

dlandersson wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am Some really good points (esp. the Odin 27 in Greece, depending on it's condition) but I think it's a bit optimistic to think a dealer (whose rice bowel is selling boats) is going to point you towards an alternative. 8)
Sure...They might try to hardsell you on a new one, but a couple of those "dealerships" are clearly brokers who sell all kinds of boats new and used. And like I said earlier, they may know of owners groups or other resources. The closest thing I could find resembling that was a sort of tattered website called the "Odin PowerSailor Site" at https://odinpowersailor.weebly.com/bow2stern.html, which seems to have been cobbled together a while back by an Australian broker and Imexus dealer. But its "Forum" feature and some other functions just aren't activated--possibly never were.

One in search of more Odin/Imexus information might also do well to search THIS Forum for past threads concerning "Odin", as there have been some discussions here of the breed.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by adudinsk »

Also keep in mind.. the odin/imexus also came in 2 versions.. outboard (115hp typically) and stern drive lower end unit ..

Much heavier than a Mac.. and a BIT longer.

AD
lingvo
Just Enlisted

Post by lingvo »

I'm looking at Odin/Imexus as well. But my main problem here - they are damn heavy comparing to Mac. Imexus on trailer weights at least 2.6 Tonnes, so not every car can tow it. At least mine not.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

The used car market went from damned near collapse pre-Covid (some economists citing flagging results of larger commercial used fleet car auctions as a foreboding economic indicator of hard times to come) to a current situation where just about any smoke-belching hoopty is now suddenly gold-plated. But once the Kung Flus calm down and prices a bit too, you might want to commence lurking on craigslist or at local auto auctions for some no-frills tow beast with a tow package, preferably a factory one, like I needed for my 26X. I got an old 1st gen '99 Durango with that big 5.9 liter V-8 with 4WD (handy for slippery boat ramps) for $1,000 more than 5 years ago, and it's still hanging in there. If memory serves, it's rated to haul 7,500 pounds.

If all you want or need like me is some old tugger, basically a V8 with a seat, a search of craigslist cars for "tow package" should get you there. Probably best to be reasonably handy with a wrench if you opt for the cheapo route though. But it CAN be done. The downside of course, is that it's a happy HAPPY day when I tank up that beast and discover I've topped that 15 mpg mark. To achieve that I spend a lot of time with one eye on that center console "Ecoboost" mpg readout and tend to drive it like there's an egg between that accelerator pedal and my foot.

There are quite a few old threads on this Forum about tow vehicles worth looking over, and there's no shortage of "Best Tow Vehicles" articles out there to read like this one by Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-of-t ... rucks/amp/. Many provide maximum tow capacities, but these can most often be looked up easily by desired model too.

But it's still possible to bring one home on the cheap, if you're lucky. Here's a Durango a lot like mine, but with quite a few more miles on the clock asking $1,800. Still, it looks well kept and in 3 years would even qualify for Antique plates in most states, so no more required emissions or inspections: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 35093.html
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

You've seen my car? :P
Bilgemaster wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:35 pm just about any smoke-belching hoopty is now suddenly gold-plated.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Yes, towing can and would be a problem for many cars and small SUVs (especially AWD units.. Power Transfer Units are built VERY weak.. and most ppl do not change the fluids every 30k miles.. so you will really beat up a AWD vehicle). Even a Mac 26M would max out to the limit a 2wd Dodge Journey. (max tow weight ~3600lbs..less with AWD..)

Before I went looking for mine, I bought a new truck with all the towing bells and whistles. (my old one was getting tired)... figured I would get wither a boat or a camper (or both)

If you have only a short run to the ram and to your storage location you could hobble along in 1st gear slowly... but ... but...

AD
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster »

adudinsk wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am Yes, towing can and would be a problem for many cars and small SUVs (especially AWD units.. Power Transfer Units are built VERY weak.. and most ppl do not change the fluids every 30k miles.. so you will really beat up a AWD vehicle). Even a Mac 26M would max out to the limit a 2wd Dodge Journey. (max tow weight ~3600lbs..less with AWD..)

Before I went looking for mine, I bought a new truck with all the towing bells and whistles. (my old one was getting tired)... figured I would get wither a boat or a camper (or both)

If you have only a short run to the ram[p] and to your storage location you could hobble along in 1st gear slowly... but ... but...

AD
You mention your Dodge. For fellow bottom-feeders like me who need to bring it home on the cheap and go "used" or not at all, here's a word of advice for any pre-owned Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth or most current Jeeps): The day you get it, grab one of those little cheapo Harbor Freight handpumps (see: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use ... 63144.html) and pump out as much of the transmission fluid as you can right from the dipstick tube. The thin black hose that comes with the pump is perfect for this, and once started just siphons nicely. Have a couple of containers handy, 'cause you can expect maybe 5 or 6 quarts with some models. You won't get it all. A couple of quarts will remain in the torque converter. But you'll get most of it. Replace that fluid with the same amount of the proper ATF-4 "Chrysler Style" fluid. A bottle of that Lucas Transmission Fix too (see: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transamerica ... x/16777815) probably wouldn't be the worst idea either, especially if it's a higher mileage vehicle.

Why do this, you ask? Because people, even many service techs who should really know better, often add the wrong fluid to those trannies like whatever flavor of "Dexron" is handy. It's harder to find that proper ATF-4 fluid on many shelves, and it's typically a bit more expensive. So folks just use the wrong stuff, which does those Mopar trannies no favors. Getting out at least most of whatever mystery goop happens to be in there is just a sensible precaution if you want the thing to last.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Agreed...
Many Power Transfer Units used in awd cars, are rated for lifetime no fluid change.
They hold 14-16 oz of fluid.
and are often near exhaust/cats.etc.. and get VERY hot.
Thus the fluid degrades VERY VERY quick.
The actual spec is change PTU every 30,000 miles and the diff about 50,000-60,000 miles.

Often the Power Transfer Unit uses a totally different fluid then the trans.. then the diff..

Opening up a PTU with 80,000 miles.. it looks like asphalt inside.. not fluid.

you tube Ford Boss Me has a great video on all this.. .so does fordTechMakuloco.

Buying used is great..but gett'er home.. and change all the fluids..

AD
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Off topic?
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Swallow yachts makes a range of trailer capable water ballast sail boats.

https://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-cruiser-25/

Hunter made their 27 EDGE sailboat that was a mac inspired trailer sailer. Heavier.. and looks like a Hunter (good or bad..)
https://www.chamberlainyachts.com/yacht ... ge-213410/

Also Hunter makes a 260 water ballast ..
https://ca.boats.com/boats-for-sale/?ma ... &model=260

There were some really wild water ballast trailer boats out of Europe.. super modern.. but brand new companies.. trying to remember the mfg names..
But when I looked at them a few years ago.. "list" price was very$$$
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

If you are still looking for a Mac26X or Mac26M try looking in the English version of FaceBook Market place, Craigslist and the several brokers sites.

There were several available when I last looked a couple of months ago.
They are popular with the weekend canal cruiser crowd (they leave the mast at home).
Then they upgrade to larger cruisers or canal boats so there are generally a couple available already with the CE ratings.

Hope you are doing well and are having a healthy happy summer!

Regards,
Over Easy
8) 8) 🐩
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

English canal boats are called "narrowboats" I beleive :)
OverEasy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm If you are still looking for a Mac26X or Mac26M try looking in the English version of FaceBook Market place, Craigslist and the several brokers sites.

There were several available when I last looked a couple of months ago.
They are popular with the weekend canal cruiser crowd (they leave the mast at home).
Then they upgrade to larger cruisers or canal boats so there are generally a couple available already with the CE ratings.

Hope you are doing well and are having a healthy happy summer!

Regards,
Over Easy
8) 8) 🐩
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

There are a variety of boat types that cruise the English canals.
One of those most popular and iconic are the “narrow boat” style which are upwards of 40, 50, 60 , 70 (72 feet is the longest that can fit in the locks) feet long and are most often perceived as live aboard vessels.

The Various Types Of Canal Boat You Will Encounter On The English canals:
The traditional narrowboat. ...
Semi-traditional narrowboats. ...
Cruisers. ...
Tugs. ...
Trads….
Wide-beam boats. ...
Dutch barges. ...
and “The realms of the bizarre” one-off fabrications

There are roughly 80,000 boats registered in England and roughly 35,000 canal registrations of roughly 9,000 are live-aboard of which the majority are in the category of traditional/semi-traditional/wide-beam/Dutch barge type. There are an additional roughly 9,000 part-time “vacationer” traditional/semi-traditional/wide-beam/Dutch barge type vessels.

That indicates that there are roughly 17,000 “other vessel types” on the English Canal system such as within the category of “cruisers” which encompasses vessels that can be generally be considered to transport and accommodate single or multiple individuals. Just as elsewhere not everyone has a permanent mooring or can afford a long term slip rental or storage yard so their vessels tend to be capable of being hauled out and trailered. It is within that roughly 48% that vessels like the MacGregor 26 series are popular as they can obtain short term canal permits and also take their vessels to lakes, rivers, estuaries, bays and coastal locations due to their versatility.

Anyway, the main point was that due to the versatility of the MacGregor design that they have found happy lives in England in a variety of situations, one of which are on the English canals.

The secondary point is that not all boats on English Canal System are the iconic narrow boats.

Personally we 💕 LOVE 💕 narrow boats!
One of our ambitions has been to spend a summer on a narrow boat cruising the canals of England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland…. Those plans are on hold while the world deals with the very real COVID-19 Pandemic :? :? … Right now for us it is best to place that ambition on the back burner until things get under better control.

:) :) Meanwhile we are throughly enjoying our Mac26X as much as we can!!! :) :)
It is a great vessel that is a lot of fun and versatile. We love the basic layout that the Mac26X affords us. (Just as much as Mac26M owners enjoy their layouts as well. :) :) )

We are enjoying all the characteristics that a Mac26X affords us. It handles reasonably well, it houses us reasonably well and it easily lends itself to modification to fulfill specific owner needs/desires both on and off the water. :) :)

Easy to trailer. Easy to store. Easy to launch. Easy to use as a land camper. Easy to cruise in. Easy to maintain. Easy to reconfigure. Easy to modify. Easy to handle. Not too heavy. Not too light. Nice on the eyes too! :D :D

While nothing is going to fulfill every particular aspect someone may have perfectly we really enjoy and utilize the versatility that our Mac26X provides us with!!! :) :)

So to those looking for a MacGregor in Europe we hope you keep looking and find one.
We looked at quite a variety of other alternative vessels, including designing and building, before we found our Mac26X. :) :)
It is well worth the effort in our opinion. :) :)

Best Regards,
OverEasy
8) 8) 🐩

PS:
As most Europeans know there are numerous fantastic canals throughout Europe!
We’ve been told that it is possible to travel via canal and river and inland/protected waterway from the Baltic to the Mediterranean, not to miss mentioning the extensive waterways & canals of Sweden, Norway, Finland!
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Post by Bilgemaster »

dlandersson wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:51 pm Off topic?
Indeed. We did go a bit "off road" there, bit the OP did mention tow beasts, so a couple of us just ran with it. Just trying to help. Sorry.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Here’s a list of 5 MacGregor 26X in Europe from a quick search:

There were two in Finland and Sweden but the info was in Finnish and Swedish which sounds great but I’m language limited in that regard. :?
:?

Not long ago I believe I saw two in Southern France but again this I’m language limited :?

There are Macs out there and most looked in good shape.

A YouTube we have been watching just sold his Mac26X in the Azores. Really beautiful place and great simple sailing videos.

Best Regards,
Over Easy
😎😎🐩