Shallow Draft - You miss it when it's gone

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Shallow Draft - You miss it when it's gone

Post by Jimmyt »

Went out yesterday with my neighbor in his j22. Tried to go at 0930, low tide and north wind. Dropped the boat in the water with his club's travel lift and it pretty much stuck the keel in the bottom. We heeled it over and moved it to the dock, tied up, and decided to come back at 1400 to try again.

At 1400, the tide had started back up, but the north wind was still blowing the water out of the bay. He raised the sails so we could use the wind to heel the boat, and I hiked out on the leeward shrouds. We were able to get to the mouth of the channel and thought we were good. Then, sudden stop and quick uncontrolled pivot. Fortunately, the club's rock jetty was upwind. Our downwind impact would be some piling left over from a recently destroyed pier (what a hurricane season). I quickly assumed the outrigger ballast position on the shrouds. He worked the kicker tiller back and forth, and close-hauled the sheets, and we were able to bump free. Once we found enough water, we had a great 3 hour sail, only running aground for a brief period in a spot he didn't remember being shallow (storms tend to shift the sand bottom around).

Wind built steadily as time went on, ending up close to 15 knots by dusk. My buddy decided we'd sail her in, close hauled, in case we didn't have much water. The kicker was on the windward side coming in, so we wouldn't have any thrust at heel anyway. We came blasting into the club channel at 5.5 - 6 knots with the leeward rail buried. Fortunately, we didn't hit. The boat was heeled further than when we were coming out. I was not on the shrouds coming in, as grounding at that speed would have meant an unscheduled swim.

It was a great sail! However, I couldn't help but think that we could have been on the water all day with a dagger or swing keel boat. The j boat is fun to sail when you have water under it.

I am planning to install a depth instrument to take some of the surprise out of my sailing. My buddy is about to change boats. He doesn't keep a battery in his boat now, although a depth instrument would have been handy...

My buddy hiked out during our brief grounding in open water. I was on the tiller.

Couple of shots of the bay. It was a beautiful day.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Shallow Draft - You miss it when it's gone

Post by NiceAft »

In spite of the challenges; I'm JEALOUS :!:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 am In spite of the challenges; I'm JEALOUS :!:
It was great fun! The challenges just added to the experience for me. That run into the club, wondering if (when) the keel was going to grab and throw us both overboard or into the cabin was exhilarating. 8)

I had family duties today, otherwise I would have gone again. He was going again this morning.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

The fact that you are out sailing and my boat is in deep storage makes me envious.

Gotta start scouting southern retirement towns.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 pm The fact that you are out sailing and my boat is in deep storage makes me envious.

Gotta start scouting southern retirement towns.
It may not be a perfect place to live, but I do like the mild winters. Since I was born and raised here, I'm used to the heat and humidity of summer (or used to trying to deal with it anyway). We can generally sail year round if the bay has enough water in it to get off the trailer. :D If you get a low tide during a prolonged north wind, it can get pretty shallow.

Anywhere along the gulf coast is pretty nice. Some spots nicer than others. Beaches from gulf shores to Destin are really nice.

Only downside is, you have a hurricane target painted on you when you move here... :P
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

My business partner lives in Mobile. On the water. Keeps his boat at his dock in the backyard.

My wife LOVES the beaches from gulf shores to Destin. Says the white sand is so beautiful. Might have to take a road trip and scout places.
--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I didn't realize Mobile bay was so shallow. Looking at charts and it's got some low spots.

What's the tide like there?
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:06 am I didn't realize Mobile bay was so shallow. Looking at charts and it's got some low spots.

What's the tide like there?
2-3 ft typically.

The beaches on the gulf are very nice. The bay does not have beaches that nice. A lot of the bay water front may not have much beach at all. Most of the eastern shore is bulk headed. Due to hurricane and storm activity, the rivers offer a lower maintenance waterfront option than the bay. Although, both are very nice. During the time we owned a place on the eastern shore, I had a bad stretch where I had to build 4 piers in three years. Thought about calling the lumber yard and having them bring me a load of lumber to just dump straight in the bay. :|

But, when everything is up, and the weather is nice, it is like paradise.

If you make a run this way, give me a shout.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 amAt 1400, the tide had started back up, but the north wind was still blowing the water out of the bay.
That must have been one hull of a wind :?

Great story too .... It is a real pain having a deep draft :D
All the best.
:macm: Neo
"Whatever floats ya boat" 8)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Neo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:27 am That must have been one hull of a wind :?

A steady north wind of 10-15 can make a noticeable difference in the water level. When you're dealing with marginal depth for the boat anyway, it doesn't take much difference to put you in a bind.

He is selling the j boat and getting an Island Packet 31. So, probably won't be able to go on days like that...

Unless we take the Mac. We don't need no stinkin' water to go boating! As long as the sand is wet, we're good. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pm

He is selling the j boat and getting an Island Packet 31. So, probably won't be able to go on days like that...
Don’t those IP31’s have a nearly full keel and retractable centerboard for shallow depth, like around 3 ft? Still not good for skinny water like the Macs, but pretty shallow for a boat that size.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pmA steady north wind of 10-15 can make a noticeable difference in the water level. When you're dealing with marginal depth for the boat anyway, it doesn't take much difference to put you in a bind.
Wow I didn't know that.... I've not seen that happen around here.... but most of what I sail is inland and non (or minimal) tidal.
All the best.
:macm: Neo
"Whatever floats ya boat" 8)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Tomfoolery wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 pm
Jimmyt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Don’t those IP31’s have a nearly full keel and retractable centerboard for shallow depth, like around 3 ft? Still not good for skinny water like the Macs, but pretty shallow for a boat that size.
He's taking me with him Monday for a look, so I don't know which one he has yet. Apparently, there are two possibilities.

From SPINSHEET MAGAZINE:
Standard draft of this full keel design is only 4’ and, for those who are really into gunkholing, about 10 percent of the 31s were built with centerboards drawing only 3’ with the board up. Displacement is 11,000 lbs., and ballast is indicated at 4,500 lbs. for both the centerboard and standard draft models.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

He did not get the one with the drop keel. He's going to draw 4 feet (6" more than the j-boat). Slips in this area will run between $200 and $300 per month for 31 feet.

Boat looks good. Needs a good cleaning, and all the bright work needs attention. Overall, a great boat. Can't wait to see it under sail.

It has the gimballed Origo stove/oven combo, with a harness to hold you in the galley. Salt water and fresh water in the galley sink. The boat screams Bluewater cruising.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Jimmyt wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:50 am Image
Is it too indiscrete to ask how much something like that costs and what year it is?
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call