Hison 26: How Good?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Hison 26: How Good?

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Great update: are they also done building the Mac 65?
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Roger MacGregor posted his story here.

Again, in Roger's salty attitude.

eg:
"from my office window, shows a big monster of a wealthy old folk’s home that is being built directly across the street from our factory.
It will hold 275 old timers. It is a high-end retirement home with swimming pools, gyms, and all kinds of exotic stuff. It is definitely a high class operation -- not at all what you might expect in an industrial area.

There will be complaints. They'll be outside with their burning sticks, torches and signs screaming for more regulation. Many of them, being retired, they have lots of time to get worked up. Protesting surrounding industry likely will be their new hobby. "

http://www.rogermacgregor.com/MACGREGOR ... ement.html
--Russ
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Russ wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:36 am Roger MacGregor posted his story here.

Again, in Roger's salty attitude.

eg:
"from my office window, shows a big monster of a wealthy old folk’s home that is being built directly across the street from our factory.
It will hold 275 old timers. It is a high-end retirement home with swimming pools, gyms, and all kinds of exotic stuff. It is definitely a high class operation -- not at all what you might expect in an industrial area.

There will be complaints. They'll be outside with their burning sticks, torches and signs screaming for more regulation. Many of them, being retired, they have lots of time to get worked up. Protesting surrounding industry likely will be their new hobby. "

http://www.rogermacgregor.com/MACGREGOR ... ement.html
You kind of have to 'read through' Roger's words... what he says 1-on-1 in a phone call is somewhat different from what he may write down in a communique. You can read 'torches and signs' to be a coded way of saying 'lawsuits'... but him not wanting to say it because he didn't want to encourage the thought. Same with not mentioning VOCs and regulations... he didn't want to call attention to that and add fuel to the fire... and offer further ammunition to his opponents.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

I'd like to see the next generation of Macgregors. I wonder what they would look like now? And was 26 to 33 foot version ever planned? Seems Hison would've been beat off copying the tattoo 22
Tohatsu 25HP
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

kmclemore wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:26 am You kind of have to 'read through' Roger's words... what he says 1-on-1 in a phone call is somewhat different from what he may write down in a communique. You can read 'torches and signs' to be a coded way of saying 'lawsuits'... but him not wanting to say it because he didn't want to encourage the thought. Same with not mentioning VOCs and regulations... he didn't want to call attention to that and add fuel to the fire... and offer further ammunition to his opponents.
Agreed. He simplified the legal aspects of boat building. California was cracking down on VOCs and he was at ground zero.

I just love how Roger wrote stuff in salty language. eg: "Old Timers" :D He reminds me of how my dad used to talk.
--Russ
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Your idea of what is salty language is not the same as my idea of salty language. :evil:
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Funny the industrial zoning even allowed a several hundred bed retirement center to be approved in the first place…

The VOC issues were and are real…
Exposure to VOC vapors can cause a variety of health effects, including eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches and loss of coordination; nausea; and damage to the liver, kidneys, or central nervous system. Some VOCs are suspected or proven carcinogens.
I’ve been involved in the design, installation and operation of industrial VOC scrubbing.

While a change in business it’s not a particularly expensive or onerous equipment or process. Many businesses operate this type of equipment with their processes quite profitably. So I’m somewhat suspect as VOC control compliance being a primary cause for closure of a profitable business…

Meanwhile if the zoning was changing and the area was gentrifying then a change of business venue from manufacturing to general business operations or similar.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Re better gelcoat: FFS I would have gladly paid an xtra 500 for that. Mike Inmon had agreed to make a custom colored hull for me, but I ended up getting a deal demo white boat. The gelcoat is pretty bad. I might have been able to have them use a better grade though, had I gone for the custom colored hull.I evrntuslly settled on painting the hull of my boat. The two color paint scheme has been on there for 6 years now and I’m still very pleased with it. (Recoated once)

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Ixneigh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:05 am Re better gelcoat: FFS I would have gladly paid an xtra 500 for that. Mike Inmon had agreed to make a custom colored hull for me, but I ended up getting a deal demo white boat. The gelcoat is pretty bad. I might have been able to have them use a better grade though, had I gone for the custom colored hull.I evrntuslly settled on painting the hull of my boat. The two color paint scheme has been on there for 6 years now and I’m still very pleased with it. (Recoated once)

Ix
It must've been inconsistent. My 2002 26x actually has a great gelcoat. I think my boat however has been in NJ and OH so maybe latitude of sun exposure plays a big role. I feel lucky for 21years. I've had cars that ve worn worse!!
Tohatsu 25HP
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Ixneigh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:05 amI would have gladly paid an xtra 500 for that.
Agreed. I see other boats with much nicer gelcoat. And on the bottom, better gelcoat would have saved me blisters. The Bayliner in the slip next to me is the same age, no blisters on his hull.

And the blue...it's pretty when shined up, but dang every blue hull seems to oxidize quickly. I have to admit you white hulls are smarter.

I have a spot where the rudder brackets attach that I pushed my finger through the gelcoat into a void.
--Russ
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

I dunno. Mine is an oldie but goodie... maybe he built them better back then, but my gel coat is tough as nails... no blisters, and still buffs up fine. (although i don't buff it very often!)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I barrier coated mine first thing.no blisters But she lives in the Florida sun, and it’s taken a toll.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Ixneigh!

When/if we get to painting Over Easy it may just be our above the rub strip top surfaces as the gelcoat on the hull itself is still pretty good and it would appear that either the first purchaser or one the subsequent ower(s) applied ablative bottom paint early on (but didn’t apply an epoxy primer coat). We had the old failing ablative stripped off by a local profession boat yard down here in SC back in 2021 and redone with two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of new ablative. No blisters or other issues were found so we count ourselves fortunate! :) :)

The question is what paint to use as I’m not sure about going the “re-gelcoat route”…..that sounds too intimidating to me.
After binge watching several hours of YouTubes from Boat Works Today and others it seems that there are lots of choices as far as paints go… Total Boat and Alexseal seem to be the top brand contenders… with Alexseal leading with their roll-on self leveling ‘no-tipping’ formulas. (As finances are always a concern we’ve probably going to have to do this job ourselves rather than have the boat yard do it this time around unlike the bottom paint back in 2021. 🙄🫣😉)

The actual painting is the relative Easy portion….the real labor is all in the prep work … de-installing the hatches/ hinges/tracks/slides/ hasps/fittings … finding & patching & blending all the little dings/scratches/pits…through cleaning … degreasing … keeping it clean& degreased … masking to paint the black … masking to paint the white … masking to apply the tread area texture … apply the tread stuff … cleaning up the excess tread stuff … painting the tread stuff … cleaning up the “gawdawfulmessillmakeintheprocessofitall” and contending with making some sort shelter under which to do it all … shouldn’t take long ….
🙄🫣🤔😉🤔🫣🙄 ……………….hmmmmmm…………………..

Writing this sorta reminds me of a song Toby has sung a time or two:
“I used to be ‘heck’ on wheels
Back when I was a younger man.
Now my body says, "You can't do this, boy,"
But my pride says, "Oh, yes you can."

I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was."

…..Might just check with the boatyard again on if there is possibly an off or slow season discount…………..

:D :D
May what existences that be grant me the wisdom to know what I can do, the knowledge to know what I can’t and the self serenity to deal with the differences between the two constructively….. :wink:

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I had a barrier coat applied to NiceAft years ago. Since I have not had a slip in several years, I have never had it reapplied. That original coating must have done a good job; the hull has never had a blister.
Ray ~~_/)~~