Research

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
paulmelb

Research

Post by paulmelb »

HI All,
I am new to the idea /dream of owning a yacht. My Grandpa was into them and I always enjoyed my time on his yacht (and even helping him clean and anti foul the hull lol). I am getting to a stage in life where I think I actually might be able to afford one in the near future and have time to spend on it. Having discovered the MacGregors I think this type of boat might get me over the line with the misses and daughter. Having said this , I have only researched online and haven't seen one in the flesh let experienced one in full flight. Is there a member of this forum in Melbourne that would be keen to show me their pride and joy and maybe even like a crew member to boss around on day of sailing? I live in Sassafras and I am happy to travel for the cause 😁.
Cheers,
Paul.
C Buchs
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Research

Post by C Buchs »

I could take you out on my :macx: , but I'm about 7-8,000 miles away from you.

Sorry...Jeff
paulmelb

Post by paulmelb »

Thanks for the offer Jeff. :-) that distance might test my commitment to the cause lol.
Sea Shadow
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Sea Shadow »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the sites. Just saw your posting and thought I would give a shout out. I am currently on the Gippsland Lakes furt the next week or so but I normally go in at St. Kinda wheni I am back home. More than happy to have you on board when I do. I have a 2011 M which is normally in driveway in Boronia. PM me if you are still interested.

Michael
:macm: Extraordinary times expose (extra)ordinary people.
paulmelb

Post by paulmelb »

Thanks Michael,
I pmed you but it is sitting in my "outbox" though so I'm not sure it has actually sent to you.
Cheers,
Paul.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

paulmelb wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:52 pm Thanks Michael,
I pmed you but it is sitting in my "outbox" though so I'm not sure it has actually sent to you.
Cheers,
Paul.
PM's sit in the 'outbox' until the recipient opens the PM. Once opened it moves to the 'Sent' box.

Cheers,
Kevin
Your Friendly Admin :)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I would be happy to come to Melbourne (esp. in the winter) if you pay for it :P
paulmelb wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:54 am HI All,
I am new to the idea /dream of owning a yacht. My Grandpa was into them and I always enjoyed my time on his yacht (and even helping him clean and anti foul the hull lol). I am getting to a stage in life where I think I actually might be able to afford one in the near future and have time to spend on it. Having discovered the MacGregors I think this type of boat might get me over the line with the misses and daughter. Having said this , I have only researched online and haven't seen one in the flesh let experienced one in full flight. Is there a member of this forum in Melbourne that would be keen to show me their pride and joy and maybe even like a crew member to boss around on day of sailing? I live in Sassafras and I am happy to travel for the cause 😁.
Cheers,
Paul.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Hi Paul,

I'm out in mine all next week (after Easter) and you're welcome aboard, all you have to do is get yourself up to the Sunshine Coast.

Cheers, Dennis.
2000 MacGregor 26X - "Entropy"
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Treat your family to a vacation in and around Chicago and I'm yours. :)
paulmelb wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:54 am HI All,
Cheers,
Paul.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

sunshinecoasting wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:57 pm Hi Paul,

I'm out in mine all next week (after Easter) and you're welcome aboard, all you have to do is get yourself up to the Sunshine Coast.

Cheers, Dennis.
Our family has been out on Dennis’ boat in Brisbane harbor and had a wonderful time!

Hope you are well and doing great, Dennis. We owe you a ride on Lake Champlain whenever you get to the States!

Cheers,
Kevin (& Jan)
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

Hi Kevin,

Yes that was a while ago now, it was a nice day and great to have a fellow Mac owner aboard. Do say hi to Jan and the boys for me, I am not sure I will visit the States for a while yet due to covid and the fact that I have returned to university (yes at my age, never too old) to obtain a Bachelor in Biomedicine, wont be done until 2024. However I haven't forgotten the invite and will take you up on it one day.

P.S. Love your new avatar pic.

Cheers, Den.
2000 MacGregor 26X - "Entropy"
kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore »

Thanks, Dennis, I’ll certainly pass on your greetings. It was a great trip.

Re getting together... any time, mate... we’ll make it work. C19 has definitely put a winder into everyone’s plans, but nice to hear you’ve taken up the challenge of more schooling - good on ya, and best of luck.

As for the avatar, it’s a bit of tongue in cheek ... it’s from a photo during a fancy dress car rally last October where I played the captain of the Titanic and Jan played ship’s surgeon. If you look closely you might make out the White Star Line badges I made for my cap and her nameplate. Great fun... I drove our vintage MG, but we damn near froze our bottoms off.