SF Bay Puttering About

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Democritus
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

SF Bay Puttering About

Post by Democritus »

Preamble: I owned a Mac 26X from about 2000-2005 and ended up getting rid of it because we wanted to do other things like travel, etc but I wanted another one badly pretty much from the day I sold it. I finally got another 26X mid-January and have been updating it and re-familiarizing myself with the boat since. We've taken it out on the lake a couple times but this was our first time on the bay in this boat.

I took a half day on Friday and we packed up and headed down to the Petaluma marina, which is a nice facility. Six bucks to launch, no parking fee, no overhead wires. We rigged and packed the boat which takes longer than I expect each time because I'm still not back up to speed with my techniques and the rhythm of rigging. Anyway, we were in the water eventually and motored slowly down the river.

There was no wind to speak of and we had a slight current against us so motoring it was, and that was fine as it left us free to enjoy the bucolic settings around us.

I remembered I hadn't refueled the tank we used at the lake a couple weekends before so I checked it and it was fairly low. I decided to pull off into a little side slough to switch tanks. Flipped the captain's seat up, pulled the line off and sprayed fuel all over myself, including in my mouth. For the life of me I couldn't get the lines reconnected. There are two different fittings on each tank which is bothersome but eventually I got it figured out and the new tank was hooked up and flowing. [I will be receiving a three-way valve in the next day or so so I don't have to pull the lines to switch tanks anymore.] After cleaning as much of the gas off of myself as possible we continued on but time was burning and my GF was getting bored of my 5-6 knot pace so she took over and opened her up to get us down to San Pablo Bay a little quicker.

We reached the bay and headed down the channel (didn't really need to since all the boards were up but I am also teaching my GF about sailing and navigation so it was a good time to pass on the "Red, Right, Returning" rule.) Once we got onto the bay proper there was still no wind (and the sun was dropping) so we continued on to China Camp, which was our intended anchorage. As we approached, I could see there was a gaggle of boats at McNear's Beach but only one boat at China Camp, score!

We anchored about 50 yards off the pier in 3.5' with about 50 feet of rode (boat came with 30' of chain + 120' of nylon line and another 120' nylon line below). I dropped the generic danforth that came with the boat and it stuck like it was nailed to the bottom. I started up the Anchor Lite app, which I had wanted to try out. We made some coffee and hot chocolate and watched people flying kites on shore and then the sun set.

I had planned some meals for dinner but we weren't hungry either night so ended up just snacking on cheese and crackers and a couple beers. I headed up on deck to plug in the anchor light, which I had installed the previous weekend and turned it on and...nada. Dangit! Oh well, strung up a portable anchor light and settled in for the night.

In the morning I made pancakes for breakfast (insert plug for Bisquick Shake and Pour). I pulled out my multi-meter to check the deck plug and got no voltage. Checked the inline fuse to the switch panel and the ONE AMP fuse that was in it was blown. Did I have extra fuses? Of course not (I do now!) I ended up pulling out the fuse for the masthead/anchor light and stuck that in there so we would at least be able to use the interior lights and VHF that day/night then we pulled up the hook and set off. Once we rounded the corner into San Francisco Bay the wind finally showed up so I got the sails up and started teaching my GF the basics about sail trimming, tacking, etc. We saw a seal pull a massive fish out of the water and thrash it around so fish parts flew everywhere and the seagulls were going insane pulling bits out of the water!

As we approached the Tiburon headlands I could see Racoon Strait was a cluster and we still had to head over to Sausalito to get fuel so I dropped the sails and we headed towards Clipper Yacht Harbor. The wind was howling in between the Golden Gate Bridge and Angel Island as we headed into Richardson Bay, with extremely confused seas but my GF steered like a pro as I navigated. I was glad we had dropped sails already although I thought about pulling out just a bit of jib to help us ride easier.

Once we got fuel we headed back to Angel Island to pick up a mooring at Ayala Cove. Having done this a number of times before it went smoothly. I like to run a line from the bow outside all the rigging to the cockpit to make it easier to reach, snag the mooring ball, slip the line through and walk it back around and tie off again at the other bow cleat. Then you can back up to the second buoy (you moor bow and stern in Ayala Cove) and slip your line through and then pull in the slack from the bow. Depending on wind/current, this order may be reversed. Anyway, we were secure and it was time for a sandwich and a beer. And then another beer. And maybe some scotch. Have you ever had scotch with hot chocolate? It's amazing. Anyway, I digress. I would have liked to have inflated the kayak and taken a walk on Angel Island but we were pooped by then.

In the morning I made coffee and then slipped off our moorings while my GF got a few more Zs. I wanted to ride the tide back up through the bays and river. One problem with that was that it meant we had following seas on the aft quarter for about half the trip. I had forgotten about those! I finally dialed it in so I was surfing for a minute or so with each wave and only had a couple small broaches, whereupon my GF brought me my life vest (that I was just about to grab!) :) It was a bit chilly so we put ALL the clothes on to stay warm but the trip back up was uneventful besides an unplanned MOB exercise when my GF dropped her hairbrush in the river. We waved at the people with young children walking in the park by the river and the kids really got a kick out of it.

I thought we had enough fuel to get all the way back but the engine stopped and, this time, I had the lines switched out in about 30 seconds. I'm still putting in that 3-way valve though. Why bother with that nonsense? Pulled out at Petaluma marina and de-rigged with only a slight delay as the Boomkicker fitting got stuck between the mast and deck, so I couldn't pull the deck pin. Do people not use Boomkickers anymore? Back when I had my first Mac tons of people were using them but I don't think I've seen a single one on anyone's pictures. Highly recommended piece of equipment. I think it was the first thing I ordered for my new-to-me boat. Anyway, it was a fun trip and had a number of learning experiences. Hopefully I can get that masthead light issue figured out. Even though we only got a couple hours' worth of sailing it felt amazing. I'm really looking forward to more sailing.
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: SF Bay Puttering About

Post by Todd »

Thanks for sharing. I have and use a boom kicker, came with the boat from the PO. Seems to work well. I also like the 3 way valve idea and and shake and pour pancakes! Can’t wait to take a similar trip. Very encouraging to hear about yours.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks for the great pics and narrative. Sounds like a fun trip! Your GF sounds like a boatie. Congrats on that.

I'm a topping lift guy. Never been around a boom kicker, so not smart enough to know what I'm missing. I have a roller boom with the main on it, so after I raise the mast, I clip the topping lift to the boom, and it carries the aft end as I clip the gooseneck to the mast.

But, sounds like a boom kicker has made an impression on you and Todd, so I'm curious enough to give it some thought.

Thanks again for sharing that great post!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Oh yeah a boom kicker wouldn't work with a rolling boom but they are super handy for keeping the boom up and out of the cockpit without the topping lift/rat tail or other methods. I like the ability to position the boom exactly where you want it, when used in conjunction with the boom vang.

Thanks for posting that picture. Reminded me I need to get some of that tubing to make my shroud stays behave!
Vince
Tohatsu MFS50A
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Great story. Thanks for the update and welcome back to the fold.

I have a boom kicker and a topping lift and use them both (but not at the same time). The topping lift is easier to hook up for short trips but if I'm going to be out for more than a day I usually hook up the boom kicker.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Jimmy your black stripes are in excellent condition.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Todd wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Jimmy your black stripes are in excellent condition.
2013 boat. It's been stored indoors since I bought it in 2015. The stripes are still in fair condition. Still, the photo looks better than reality.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Democritus,

Welcome back, and a great post.

To all of the above posters,

Good information. As has been said many times, this is the friendliest forum.

P.S. Democritus, interesting choice of nom de plume. Is there a story behind it :?:
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Democritus!

Great Post!!!

The pictures and events make us homesick for the San Francisco Bay Area.
It's been a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG :( :( two decades since we moved to the East Coast. (Our now grown kids still remind us about that on a regular basis....)
Really glad you are having a great time on the waters of the Bay!

8) 8)
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Thanks guys!

NiceAft: No exciting story regarding my username. Back ~95-96 or so, when I was starting to spend a lot of time online, I was also taking a philosophy class, had always been interested in physics, and had recently graduated from a nuclear medicine program. Democritus resonated with me as a natural philosopher, creator of atomic theory and all-around happy-go lucky dude. :) It's become my go-to username for any online activities since.

OverEasy: If you come out and visit let me know and maybe we can get you back out on the bay for a while! If it's any consolation, I'm envious of your sailing area. I had seriously considered moving to Charlotte for quite a while but never found the right job opening. We visited a while back when my daughter graduated from Lees-McRae and loved it! Lots of good microbreweries! :) The sailing is awesome in SF Bay but the beaches...not so much, heh. We have to stick to the lakes when we want to be warm and actually get in the water.
Vince
Tohatsu MFS50A
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

philosophy, nuclear medicine, physics; it fits. 8)
Ray ~~_/)~~
GonePostal
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by GonePostal »

Ah, what a nice read. Im having my Sunday morning coffee and youve inspired me to get my butt in gear and get my boat ready to sail...

Thanks for sharing!
Chris
1980 Venture 2-22
Nissan Marine 6hp
BillyBobV
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by BillyBobV »

Democritus,
Thanks for sharing this trip report. I'm hoping to get down to the Bay this summer. Is the Petaluma Marina/Launch safe to leave the vehicle overnight or several nights? (Assuming you don't do something blatantly stupid like leave a purse or electronics in plain view)

Thanks
Bill V
SV Areion
1991 26S
Bill V
Areion
1991 26S
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Democritus

Hope all is well out West and in the San Francisco Bay.
Scorching 🥵 Hot here in the Beaufort SC area the past week or two.
Between the heat and the subsequent thunderstorms ⛈ nearly every afternoon we haven’t been able to get out on the water. :( :(
Missing those days from long ago contending with having all four seasons in a day that the Bay Area is famous for. … Spring in the morning….Summer in the afternoon … Fall in the evening … Winter in the night when the fog rolls in with breeze from the northwest…. That and plenty of sunshine and tolerable humidity… Ahhh 😌 😌 the memory of younger days.

Really do miss those days when dealing with temperatures and humidities seem to match at 100 a piece already :D 🤪🥵

Hope you are out and about on the Bay having a blast this summer!⛵️

“On a day when the wind is perfect, the sail just needs to open and the world is full of beauty.”
Rumi

Over Easy
8) 8) 🐩