Hanging Fenders in Lazarette

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Hanging Fenders in Lazarette

Post by Interim »

Our practice has been to toss the fenders into the bottom of the lazarette once we clear the marina. Easy to do, but it can make retrieval comical as someone's head disappears while they reach to the bottom trying to grab them.

I'd like to hang the fenders in the lazarette, so we can just grab the end of the line and pull them up. I tried the no-drill sticky hooks found in hardware stores. They last at least a week, maybe two. I don't want to perforate the sides of the compartment if I don't have to.

Does anyone have a method they'd like to share? Would a shower-rod style compression bar hold?

--john
AndyVS
Deckhand

Re: Hanging Fenders in Lazarette

Post by AndyVS »

I mounted a piece of wood at the top of back wall of laz and another on front. Put hooks on back one for lines. On the right and left sides, I put eyelets and line(s) that runs from front to back. The lines have several knots along the length to keep things from sliding to center. I have small clips on bottom of fenders to clip on the line easily. I also hang pfd's in the laz. The center area is still open to toss things in the bottom. Sorry, I don't have a picture. I'll try to remember to take one this weekend.

Andy
Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

AndyVS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:25 am I mounted a piece of wood at the top of back wall of laz and another on front. Put hooks on back one for lines. On the right and left sides, I put eyelets and line(s) that runs from front to back. The lines have several knots along the length to keep things from sliding to center. I have small clips on bottom of fenders to clip on the line easily. I also hang pfd's in the laz. The center area is still open to toss things in the bottom. Sorry, I don't have a picture. I'll try to remember to take one this weekend.

Andy
Andy-- How did you mount the wood?
AndyVS
Deckhand

Post by AndyVS »

On the back wall, I pulled back the rubber rub rail on the stern of the boat, replaced the screws holding the metal frame with longer ones & mounted the two 2 x 4's. Note the split for the backstay and the cutout for the rudder bolts. On the front wall, I drilled two new holes.

Before I added this mod, I once had to reach into the laz while underway to get something laying in the bottom. We hit a small wave and I ended up in there head first. I was glad my son didn't take any pictures before helping me get out. :o

Interim
First Officer

Post by Interim »

Has anyone tried a compression bar ("third hand"), that is stabilized through outward pressure? I'm only hanging a few fenders on this, so 10 lbs. at the most I would guess.

Or is the fiberglass not strong enough to resist that pressure over time?

--john
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I created a rack to hold a 3-gallon gas tank with hanging hooks on the side. Fenders, anchor line bucket, and other items swing back under the rack leaving room for Magma grill and other large items.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
drakethib

Post by drakethib »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:08 pm I created a rack to hold a 3-gallon gas tank with hanging hooks on the side. Fenders, anchor line bucket, and other items swing back under the rack leaving room for Magma grill and other large items.
I know this is an old post but how did you mount it, is it free standing? Any additional photos?
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

2x4 with large coat hooks. PL Marine adhesive on the 2x4 to the fiberglass. One SS wood screw into the right end and one SS bolt through the motor well.
Stickinthemud57
Captain

drakethib wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:40 pm
Stickinthemud57 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:08 pm I created a rack to hold a 3-gallon gas tank with hanging hooks on the side. Fenders, anchor line bucket, and other items swing back under the rack leaving room for Magma grill and other large items.
I know this is an old post but how did you mount it, is it free standing? Any additional photos?
It is supported by legs that go down the the lazarette floor. I put a few screws through the bulkhead between the lazarette and the cabin. I'll try to get some photos the next time I am at the boat.
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Photos of supports for my rack (see previous posts)

At cabin bulkhead

At transom. Frame rests on rudder post chase on right, 2x4 support on left.