Trailer repairs

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
redhot
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Trailer repairs

Post by redhot »

Hi, I am a new owner of Mac 26M. Trailer needs repair though.

Question. Can the boat be offloaded onto the lawn while I repair the trailer?

Thanks in advance for your help. 8)

. :macm:
chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Re: Trailer repairs

Post by chipveres »

If my experience with a Mac 22 can be trusted, No. The major factor that removes the boat from the trailer is that she floats. I suspect that if you tried to do it dry, you would break the winch cable or rip out the bow eye.

Chip V.
s/v Sand Dollar
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Trailer repairs

Post by OverEasy »

Hi RedHot

The aspect of getting a Mac26M off the trailer directly onto the lawn isn’t one of those things to be done lightly.

While yes a Mac26M can be beached and rested on its hull generally that process is a gentle affair. Whereas getting a Mac26M off the back end of a trailer to ground is going to impose some possibly significant leveraged and point loads that it really wasn’t designed for.

Getting the boat back on the trailer is another hurdle to be considered before dropping it on the lawn.

Plan A: Might I suggest simply launching your boat and renting a dock space until you are done refurbishing or replacing your trailer.

Plan B: Might I suggest going to a real boat yard and have them lift your boat off your trailer and place it on proper boat hull stands. This is the safest and most responsible means to get a boat off a trailer. It also avoids having your boat in ground contact in your yard.

Plan C: Might I suggest that if you are set on removing your Mac26M from its trailer a more common approach is to incrementally jack up and crib off.

To do that one first makes a wide stable braced conforming crib for the stern end while you have the front end of the trailer lowered as far as possible (this put the stern high).

Then raise up the trailer front until the stern most portion of the boat comes off trailer. Then gently move the trailer forward a foot or two. Lower the nose of the trailer again to just get the load off the stern and make another stable braced conformal crib. Then raise the nose of the trailer to rest the stern portion of the boat on the two conformal cribs and gently move the trailer forward two or three feet.

Repeat process of incrementally cribbing and moving forward. At some point the boat will start resting on the cribbing. Be CAREFUL. Do not EVER get underneath the boat. Make additional cribbing that are stable and braced while only moving the trailer forward just enough to allow the cribbing to be positioned.

Once you have the boat off the trailer make side supports that capture under the rub rail that are properly staked into place so they cannot pop out of position.

After you finish refurbishing or replacing your trailer reverse the process to get your boat back on a trailer.

Disclaimer: Safety is your responsibility for not only yourself but also for those around your boat. Use caution.
These are only suggestions that need to adapted to your environment. Don’t do anything that is outside your professional experience and comfort level. There is no shame in seeking out and asking for qualified assistance. Avoidable accidents AREN’T ACCIDENTS!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈