Equipment Report = Shapeways Mastgate

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
leefrankpierce
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Equipment Report = Shapeways Mastgate

Post by leefrankpierce »

I use slugs for my mainsail.
Ordered and installed the Shapeways Mastgate.
Measured to ensure it fit my mast before I ordered, It clicked in like it was supposed to be there, slugs slide through as expected.
Great improvement, very happy.
Good upgrade.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9PTF8 ... 2&li=shops
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx:
OverEasy
Admiral

Re: Equipment Report = Shapeways Mastgate

Post by OverEasy »

Congrats!

Do you feel that the sail moves easier up and down than before?
Piddle and Futz
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Piddle and Futz »

Hey, that's a super sweet project. The video at the bottom of the referenced Shapeways page goes a long way to explaining the function for keeping slugs captive. I imagine this will be much smoother than the tapped aluminum plates I've seen elsewhere.

The originator of this design is mastgates.com and they have 3 different Mac models listed on Shapeways.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?t ... =macgregor

Shapeways is a 3D printing provider that makes excellent quality objects. I've been using them for a decade now to print machine parts and other wacky figments of my imagination (titanium backpacking gadgets, scale models, autopilot housings, branding irons, even our wedding rings). Hmm... who want a scale model of their Mac?

Have to say that, based on its volume, Shapeways might charge perhaps $25 to fabricate this part, so mastgates.com is making a nice $70 profit for providing the design... but that is their business model. The design does seem well thought out. I'm sure they had to go through a number of prototypes to dial it in and make it perfect (noting that they have evolved from a 2 piece model with set screws to a single piece model), and the addressable market is probably <100 units, so really that +$70 is very reasonable compensation for their efforts.
leefrankpierce
Deckhand

Post by leefrankpierce »

The main difference is exactly as his video shows.
My bottom slug had to stay above my slot (or fall off the mast) which did not allow the sail flake down to the boom properly.
(I used a stop to keep the slugs above the slot.)
This also prevented me from using a slug at the bottom of the mast because it would pop up into the slot and off the mast.
So while I would not say it helps the sail slide easier, it is able to slide to where it belongs.
Now when I drop the sail, it drops all the way down to the boom like it is supposed to.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Thanks!
😎😎🐩🐈
leefrankpierce
Deckhand

Post by leefrankpierce »

My response of " The main difference is exactly as his video shows" was me miss-remembering which videos he had where.
Sorry if my response was not clear.
Now I can not find the video I was referring to, but somewhere out there is a video that starts with the picture on mastgates.com showing someone's sail being prevented from coming down to the boom and not flaking properly, then a portion of video with it coming all the way down.
It is a bit confusing that mastgates.com does not seem to reference shapeways.com where you can actually buy them.
Took me a while to find the shapeways site.
Somewhere in all this stuff is a liner tube that runs up the entire mast that would probably help the slugs slide, that might be a great improvement too.

As far as the cost, yes it seems to be approx $100 for a piece of plastic, but I would counter it is a complicated piece of plastic that I would guess went through a LOT of work to get it to work as well as mine did, so I figure I paid a lot of $ for the intellectual property of the design.
The design relies on the unique flexibility and rigidity of the material, so it is not like you could carve the thing from wood or anything else I can imagine.
If none of you have tried to take a physical design and move it into the digital world for printing, that is not easy either.

The installation took about 30 seconds, it took me longer to get my slugstop out of the way than to install the new gate.

I also appreciate that someone still makes a product specifically for my boat, seems all the really good stuff is for the catalinas and their like.