Good sailing on Lake Monroe

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Good sailing on Lake Monroe

Post by Herschel »

Since the Admiral and I returned from our weeklong trip down the St. Johns to Hontoon Island State Park marina, we have had some good sailing on day trips on Lake Monroe in Sanford. Had some quality time with my brother who lives in Sanford on one trip and then just Monday (4/25) the Admiral and I pretty much had the lake to ourselves. Enjoyed some wing on wing while the Admiral held the course.

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Good sailing on Lake Monroe

Post by Jimmyt »

Nice! Thanks for sharing!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Herschel,

Isn’t that the sweetest sailing ever; wing on wing with a not too swift wind at your back.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:29 am Herschel,

Isn’t that the sweetest sailing ever; wing on wing with a not too swift wind at your back.
Roger that. I kept a soft hand on the main sheet just in case of a random wind shift, but, yes, it was sweet. OBTW, the city of Sanford has engaged a new marina management company that manages marinas in several parts of the country and even overseas. While I lament some loss of the rustic charm of the Old Florida feeling we currently enjoy with the local management team, the city is planning major upgrades and more amenities. The local sailing association is asking for better facilities for youth dinghy sailing (i.e., a small beach area). We are all concrete sea walls and concrete ramps currently. Yes, my slip fees will go up, but you guys up north might find us an even better vacation venue in a year or two.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Where could they put a beach? It's a concrete seawall straight down to soft mud?
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Be Free wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:13 pm Where could they put a beach? It's a concrete seawall straight down to soft mud?
There is a concrete ramp on the east end that appears to have been placed there for small boats like kayaks. Perhaps it could be modified and/or expanded for soft landings. I used to sail my Hobie's off the sandy shore before they built the seawall. It would just require undoing some of the seawall on the east end parking lot, I think.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Is your marina one of these?
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm Is your marina one of these?
The one in the middle. Currently named Monroe Harbour Marina, but about to change names with new management. Don't have new name or new rates. :|
Here is pic of west side.

East side and ramp area.