Navigation/Navionics android/experience

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
WD
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Navigation/Navionics android/experience

Post by WD »

Hi all,

Questions, questions, questions, i have so many...

Anyway, does anyone happen to heave experience with Navionics on andriod and windows based platforms. I am oldschool pc/windows/andriod and really do not want to convert to apple for the sake of navigation if i can help it - it would just add the unneeded next layer of complication and Lord knows i have more than enough to learn on my plate.

So i would appreciate it if anyone does have the forgoing experience if they could let me know if it is a good choice with andriod and windows and if you get it an account for it if you can have it on multiple devices for the sake of on the water redundancy and so on and so on(all suggestions, comments, criticism appreciated).

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/tag/canada

Cheers, Bill
Spector
First Officer

Re: Navigation/Navionics android/experience

Post by Spector »

I run it on an Samsung 8" tablet with cellular and my S21 with one account. I can also log in to the web based chart viewer on my PC. Great for route planning and the routes available on all devices.
Cenoté 1998 :macx:
Calgary AB
MYCBC member
WD
Engineer

Post by WD »

Thank you Spector,

I'm just new enough to this to not know what a "S21" is but i will assume it is some form of charting device and that it bodes well for my running it on my Garmin Echo chirp 55CV and as well a Samsung tablet.

Cheers
Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector »

S21 is my phone, Samsung Android S21
Cenoté 1998 :macx:
Calgary AB
MYCBC member
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Use Aqua Maps if you have Android 6.0 or newer or iOS operating systems. This is as good as good or better than higher priced charting apps or garmin systems. It’s free if you use only one map at a time. It’s a app that is updated often. Will not run on a computer just tablets and phones. It displays your current position if you have a gps chip in your device or a gps puck attached to your device. The paid yearly cost is $15 with a slew of features included that the free does not have but the free version works just limited in some ways. I have a garmin chart plotter and have used navionics but we use Aqua maps on the iPad as our charting device when traveling. We especially like the active captain and water way guide overlay to find Marinas and nice anchorage locations and reviews.
WD
Engineer

Post by WD »

Thanks ris,

I just downloaded this on my tablet and my phone and i cannot for the life of me on purchase navigate past the password it is asking for on purchase, i have tried all of my combo's and nothing is working, just frustrating as sh~t. Not even sure what password they are asking for. The free version is fine until you try to drill the map down to get depth detail then is says no maps downloaded and if you try to download it loops back to the pay per view version. pffft. But thanks for trying, i do appreciate all suggestions.

Cheers, Bill