VAN FULL DIAMETER SPARE TIRE CARRIER

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

VAN FULL DIAMETER SPARE TIRE CARRIER

Post by OverEasy »

When we purchased our Caravan back in 2017 we insisted on getting a full diameter spare tire to go along with it.
The van came standard with a fancy air pump and an integral can of fix-a-flat but we weren’t impressed.
The next option was a small diameter spare tire that would fit into the central under deck recess area which would require lowering down, uncoupling it from underneath the van and sliding it out. Now if a tire was flat this would ne nigh to impossible without first getting the van up on a Jack….. I for one am never ever going to go under ANY VEHICLE while it is solely supported on ANY CAR JACK!!! As a former Ambulance Medic I’ve personally seen the horrific consequences of a vehicle slipping off a Jack !! :| .
The other aspect of the small diameter spare is as the Caravan is front wheel drive one would also make sure that under normal (non-towing) conditions one needs to put the small diameter spare on one of the rear positions to avoid damaging the front wheel drive system. This is NOT a viable option when towing as the small diameter spare is in no way rated to carry that kind of load.
So that brings us to why we chose to insist on the full diameter spare even though it rides inside when we travel, especially when towing.
We decided to take advantage of the unused space of our boat trailer winch post and mounted a spare tire carrier on it! This allows us to open up interior space in the van while still keeping our full diameter spare with us and readily safely accessible when traveling cross country with Over Easy.

Well worth the effort!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: VAN FULL DIAMETER SPARE TIRE CARRIER

Post by Russ »

Clever and prudent. Such a simple solution.

Our AWD Sienna had no spare tire. Had a differential where the spare tire goes on FWD models. So Toyota installed run flats instead. Horrible tires that wore out in less than 10k miles. Toyota recalled them and gave us a new set. They lasted less than 10k miles. I got fed up and just put on regular tires and bought cans of fix a flat and a compressor. Never had to use it, but also never liked not having a spare.

YOUR solution would have made me feel better towing with that car.

My current SUV has the same. Run flats, no spare. I guess that's the trade-off for AWD cars nowadays.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Russ!

Never had run flats…. Are they foam filled or with a donut inside?
What kind of SUV?
How are they lasting for you?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

OverEasy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:03 am Hi Russ!

Never had run flats…. Are they foam filled or with a donut inside?
What kind of SUV?
How are they lasting for you?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
I think the run flats have sturdy sidewalls that will support the car without air. The brand Toyota used was terrible. I forgot the brand. Continental?? The ride is stiffer also because the sidewalls are thicker.

Our current SUV is a Mercedes GLB 4-Matic. Has run flats and as about 14,000 miles and they seem to be holding up nicely. I can't tow the Mac with it, but it gets 27mpg out of the turbocharged 4cyl. We tow the Mac with a Chevy Duramax 2500.
--Russ