End of Season Ruminations for 2023

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

End of Season Ruminations for 2023

Post by Gazmn »

I pulled Miss Ollie this past Wednesday in Little Neck Bay, NY. It was too beautiful a day to feel sad, although I am sad for seeing the end of season for me :cry:

Nevertheless, I was grateful everything went without a hitch regarding boat retrieval, dismasting, bottom cleaning and storage in my narrow driveway. In fact, I really looked like an 18 year pro, lol. There’s always a crowd around launch and retrieval. Thankfully, I haven’t screwed up too much, over the years, giving them more of a show.

Miss Ollie is a 1997. I Definitely see that my stainless steel lines All need to be changed! Especially my roller furling. I’m stating this to warn all of you here. Also, with this in mind; and the fact that I only sail <5X per year for the past several years. I will use Miss Ollie as a trawler next season and at 58yo probably not reinstall the sailing hardware.

This realization has kinda struck hard. I’m not ready to sell off mast & boom, etc but I think this decision is gonna stick.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: End of Season Ruminations for 2023

Post by Jimmyt »

Gazmn wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:22 pm
Every time I have to drop the mast and get it ready to trailer home in 95 degrees, blazing sun, and no breeze... :D

Just love sailing too much to do it yet... 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

I appreciate your comment. Thx Jimmy.

Yeah, it’s a couple hrs for me putting the mast and boom up or down. I’m glad I don’t often have heat in the 90s tho, lol.

For 2021 season I went mastless, trawler mode. I enjoyed the boat Much More. I put it on this year, mainly bc of the price of gas. Nevertheless only sailed 2 or 3x. It actually took more time to set up and or take down than time hoisting and using sheets.

I have found sailing more frustrating than others here; Nevertheless, I love my boat - & it’s paid for :wink:

I may go on a buddy’s for my sailing Jones; less frustration. But truth be told; As I look back on my MacGregor antics, I’ve always stressed motor side over sailing side. Ya gotta love our boat’s versatility 8)
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I'm fresh back from a 35-year hiatus from sailing, so ditching the mast and boom are pretty far from my mind at this time.

Regarding your recent experience, Ecclesiastes tells us that for all things there is a season. I did not sail for decades, but now that I am into it again, I do not regret my time away. There were other, more important (at least to me) things going on. Someday, sailing will not be so important, and that's OK.

Your fondness for Miss Ollie is apparent. Let her be a trawler. That's fine. Definitely save the mast, boom, and attendant rigging. It will be comforting to know that you can always go back to sailing if you chose to do so. You'll know when it' time to let them go.

Here's to next season!
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Brian
Engineer
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian »

If it works for you by all means go mast-less.

I did that the summer before last and had a blast.

During the dog days of summer I spend more time floating in the water with a cold beer than I do sailing. Fortunately, there is year round sailing here so I get my fix during the cooler months.

Macs are for people that think outside the box anyway, so do whatever works for you.
2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506
TLDI 90
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Hi Greg,

I feel your pain.

I’m 73, and no longer keep NiceAft in a slip; got totally bored with the Delaware. Going to a ramp and taking the boat out for a day is not happening, too much time needed for rigging and derigging.

We now take our 2005 M out when we take a cruise, so the boat only gets to be used about two weeks a year, but that’s fine. When we bought it in 2004, we agreed that it was a toy, and will not dictate our lives. Seventeen seasons later, we love that boat. In 2023 we intend another Chesapeake cruise, and also at least a week on Lake George. Plans can change, but that’s our plan.

On your way up or down, to and from Florida trip Greg, if you need a stop over, just let me know. We’re just northwest of Philly. If Kevin isn’t north on the Chesapeake, maybe we can all get together.

Ray
Ray ~~_/)~~
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

Thanks for replies guys.

Yes, there is a time, for various things. I’ll vary Miss Ollie. But keep the rigging.

Getting out as a trawler is So much easier, I almost felt guilty last year when I did it. However, she dances around even more while on her mooring and can be a challenge for the launch drivers to sidle up to.

But what I’m most amazed at at is how much better she cuts through the water and wind, without the boom and mast. Even without ballast.

Brian’s right. Macs are A Blast with the boating you can do when the wind is down and the mast is off. - And the beer is cold 8)

PS - Thanks so much for safe harbor Ray. I’ve always appreciated your camaraderie and generosity. I think as we get older, it’s nice to be able to consider making our boating easier, by going mastless. She’s a Great Cruiser!

PS, PS. I’m reconsidering Mar trip, mainly due to the two weakest links: Me, doing All the work solo. And my 21yo Tow Beast with 200K miles… we’ll see…
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Good part of having a Macgregor is that when you want to sail you can and when you want to trawl you can. I have found that having quick pins for all rigging makes me hate setting up the mast a lot less. I also have a 2nd person to help raise and lower the mast. Pretty much an hour to launch and an hour to teardown. I am adding a furler support for trailering so any midseason trips I can leave the jib hoisted on the furler which helps cut down rigging time. I also leave the main attached to the boom and stored inside during short trips.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:31 pm Good part of having a Macgregor is that when you want to sail you can and when you want to trawl you can. I have found that having quick pins for all rigging makes me hate setting up the mast a lot less. I also have a 2nd person to help raise and lower the mast. Pretty much an hour to launch and an hour to teardown. I am adding a furler support for trailering so any midseason trips I can leave the jib hoisted on the furler which helps cut down rigging time. I also leave the main attached to the boom and stored inside during short trips.
Absolutely agree on the quick pins and second person (especially if the second person is a regular crew with you). Makes all the difference. :wink:
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi All!

Im a bit late to this thread.....
Glad you're keeping your rigging Gazmn...If you ever do selloff it will definitely substantially add to the market value of your boat.
If you ever do decide to replace the cables having the old ones will definitely help make new ones if you choose to go the DIY route.
A manual cable furrel compression tool from Harbor Freight is available for under $30 and marine grade Stainless Steel cable can be gotten from West Marine and several other suppliers along with the requisite fitting hardware.
One can also purchase replacement cable set from BlueWater Yachts for a reasonable cost.

Using our Mac26X primarily as a Trawler has been GREAT!
Travel, Launch and Retrieve are much less of a hassle and simpler. (No disrespect for those that love to sail but trawling does have some advantages too)

We're very glad that you all are getting out on the water and enjoying your multipurpose versatile MacGregors!

Best Regards
Over Easy 8) 8)
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Gazmn, the Mac as a trawler is great. Because of disabilities we have use the Mac since 2016 as a trawler. If you ever have the chance take the Mac to Canada and do the canals, the Rideau, the Trent Severn and just enjoy the peaceful Waters up there. We spent 105 days going from the Champlain canal at Fort Edward New York to Perry sound in Georgian Bay and then back down to Oswego the Erie Canal and back up to Fort Edward. A wonderful and peaceful summer adventure. Every year I think about finding another boat to replace the Mac but I haven’t found one yet that does all she can do as a trawler. Have regretted many times that in 2016 when you went out with Mike and Sandy from Washington as they were doing the loop that we couldn’t meet up with you that same day.
Richard
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Ris!

You’re an inspiration!
We really enjoyed and appreciated your journey posts of your trip!👍💕

It is a journey we hope to one day emulate.

Yes, we also enjoy the trawler option of our Mac26X! (I’m not so spry anymore to be leaping up on the cabin deck to hoist or reef sails nor am I up to a quick scurry forward to drop/retrieve the anchor. :D :D)

Thank for sharing your travels with the forum!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
WD
Engineer

Post by WD »

Damn!
Miss Ollie is a 1997. I Definitely see that my stainless steel lines All need to be changed! Especially my roller furling. I’m stating this to warn all of you here. Also, with this in mind; and the fact that I only sail <5X per year for the past several years. I will use Miss Ollie as a trawler next season and at 58yo probably not reinstall the sailing hardware.

This realization has kinda struck hard. I’m not ready to sell off mast & boom, etc but I think this decision is gonna stick.

Now this really has me wondering, I'm 72 and am just readying our ship for it's first water launch(for us) for the coming summer. We will have a slip for the summer but still???!

Cheers, Bill
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

The mast raising rigamaroll is certainly the highlight of launching. Not. I’ll probably design an easier rig to deal with mast at some point, if I don’t downsize. I’d like the rig to be able to be just lowered and left, and be light enough to hand up, and lower down using a line around a cleat to control it. No moving the mast back and forth, no spreaders. It would be a lug sail, so not that great to weather. But a lot of us use the engine for long stints up wind. The lug rig I had on the v222 was great. That one was a free standing mast, but the one on the M will not be. It will have three stays. This set up will have the option to fly a jib from a separate small foremast that’s little more than a boat hook. (I called the rig a unicorn lug rig) the jib increases performance on the wind to acceptable levels of enjoyment in good weather.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

WD wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am Damn!

Now this really has me wondering, I'm 72 and am just readying our ship for it's first water launch(for us) for the coming summer. We will have a slip for the summer but still???!

Cheers, Bill
The condition you are in is more important than your age. I am 73, and I have no limitations on what I need to do. Someday, yes, but not now. There is no physical job on the boat that is too much for me to do.
Ray ~~_/)~~