New outboard or not?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
EvenKeel16
Just Enlisted

New outboard or not?

Post by EvenKeel16 »

Hi Guys,

Been a so so year of sailing this year. its been my first full year with my 26s and i've been out as much as possible. Enough to make me feel like its my boat if you know what i mean. I also moved it into a slip! i like it but it is 45 minutes each way so not great to go and tinker with.

So on to the topic of the day - the out board. My boat came with a 2006 Honda 9.9 outboard. I've had and been having a few problems with it running right. i've been towed in twice. I'm 62 now and would rather sail than work on my boat. With the boat being in a slip and the motor weighing 100 pounds and me weighing 160 , its almost impossible for me to lift the motor out and get it to the repair shop to get service or repair when needed.

So be considering a new motor and eyeing the Tohatsu 6 Sailpro. It ways 60lbs - long shaft. is this a enough motor ? i sail a bay FL Gulf coast. Sometimes do a couple short hops never far out. Do any of you have this motor?

thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance

EvenKeel
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New outboard or not?

Post by Be Free »

Just my opinion (and worth every penny you paid for it :wink: ) 6 hp is enough to get you anywhere you want to go as long as the weather is good, the tide is not against you, and the wind is not a factor. The 9.9 gives you enough reserve to not worry about any of those things under any reasonable conditions.

I've been caught in unexpected weather much more often than I've wanted to take my outboard off. I'd save up for the larger engine if it were me, but as always, "Your boat. Your rules."
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Almost forgot: Congratulations on your first year!
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
EvenKeel16
Just Enlisted

Post by EvenKeel16 »

thanks Bill - you're not far from me. Im in Tallahassee - boat is down at Shell Point.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

That's one of the areas I've not explored yet. What can you tell me about it?
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I am not familiar with the S, but isn’t it worth it to trailer it to your favorite shop to get it repaired properly, or get an opinion as to whether it’s worth repairing? Honda’s have a good history.
Ray ~~_/)~~
DragonflyMac25
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by DragonflyMac25 »

Mac 25 owner here.
My boat came with a 2 stroke Evenrude 9.9.
Did not realize it would not work well though. Turned out to be a short shaft. Plus its a bit heavier than I would prefer to lug around.
After much deliberation and research I went with the 6hp sailpro extra long shaft.
I WANTED a 9.9 but it seemed a little overkill plus the price and weight were not as attractive as the 6hp.

I am extremely pleased with it.
Only needs a bit more than 1/4 throttle to move along nicely. Anything approaching half or more throttle is just for noise. LoL

My only critique would be because its a single cylinder it has a bit of shake at idle and a little above. A 2 cyl would run smoother. But a 2 cyl costs more, weighs more, and would use more gas.

I have only used it on a freshwater lake but with the depth it goes to, the sailpro thrust prop, and seeming power to spare I think its more than enough and would buy it again.

Oh, and its much easier to move around than that old 9.9.
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

On my 26D, a 2015 6hp tohatsu sailpro extra long shaft and it's predecessor, a 1999 nissan 5hp long shaft (basically the same motor) have gotten me safely through everything Lake Erie has thrown at me. We don't have noticeable tides and currents but I've been motored through 4' waves in 25 to 30+ mph headwind without issue.
I like the Tohatsu because it's strong enough to confidently move the boat around but is lightweight and is small enough to allow turning the motor within the tight confines of the motor well without adding a kicker bracket. It'll turn farther one way than it will the other but it's a good balance. I don't like how much the little single cylinder vibrates and how loud it is.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

My boat came with a Tohatsu 8 hp 2-stroke. I had some trouble with it at first, but everything was resolved by replacing the carburetor and running the engine dry after each outing. It is nice and light at 55 lbs, so can be removed without too much difficulty, even in the slip. I fear I will rue the day that I have to replace it. 4-strokes are heavier per horse, and my experience is that they can be pretty finicky about the age and quality of their fuel.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
EvenKeel16
Just Enlisted

Post by EvenKeel16 »

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the input! So for my situation I think the 6hp Sailpro is the right move for me. I'll see how much to get the Honda 9.9 running again or not and sell it. It should be worth a few bucks.

I'm ordering it today so I'll be back out sailing soon. I can sail almost all year around here, Other than that I really like my 26S. My first boat was a compact 16. Great boat. Will definitely always get you home safely and very little maintenance over all a very solid capable boat just slow and does not point well.

all the best

EvenKeel
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

When you say "slow and will not point well" were you referring to the 26S or the Compact?
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.