Genoa only sailing

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Genoa only sailing

Post by Herschel »

Russ...if I had only had a proton pack and a containment unit, I would have felt a little less vulnerable. As it was, I was trapped in the "freeze" state of the "flight, fight or freeze" reaction. At least until "bilges were pumped"! :wink:
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

:D :D :D :D :D
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Postscript for my experiment with Genoa only sailing. The performance aspect has been better than expected (good speed, good stability, boom make a nice handrail, etc.). I bought the Genoa track jam cleat recommended. It works great; very convenient. But I "ran into a hitch" this weekend! Literally! :( As I hurriedly boarded to get underway from the dock with a strong 15-knot wind pushing me abeam back onto the dock, and my daughter-in-law ashore was set to help push me away, my knee caught the Genoa track jam cleat squarely.
We got underway; thankfully I always carry a bandana, so I could put pressure on the wound until we cleared the channel, and my wife could access the first aid kit. Long story short; first aid kit needs replacing with newer stuff! And I need to find some way to assure safer access over that block-jam- cleat-Genoa-sheet cacophony of booby traps! Silver lining---glad it was knee and not something even more valuable! :wink:
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Ouch :!:
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Hershel!

Sounds like you’re liking this Genoa only approach! Glad to hear!

Sorry about the banged up knee though!🫣🤕
Good thing about bandanas, they are pretty useful in a pinch!

Timely about the First Aid Kit needing an update.
Just happen to look at ours in the midst of getting ready to launch and found it must be related to yours and also needs a good update/refresher as well! Thanks for bringing it up!👍

Glad your ok!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

Question for those who have tried the 150% genoa.
I usually adjust my main + jib to balance the boat for minimum rudder effort.
It seems I would loose this ability with Genoa only.
So how does it balance with Genoa only, is it good enough to stop using the main all together ?
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx:
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

leefrankpierce wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:27 am Question for those who have tried the 150% genoa.
So how does it balance with Genoa only, is it good enough to stop using the main all together ?
Seems t9 not throw the balance off much at all. Can still easily track in a straight line when trimmed correctly.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:01 am
leefrankpierce wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:27 am Question for those who have tried the 150% genoa.
Seems t9 not throw the balance off much at all. Can still easily track in a straight line when trimmed correctly.
That is my experience as well. At least in moderate winds 8-12 knots. That said, I have not had to be very concerned about tacking efficiency or performance nor deal with strong winds. Sailing on a round lake, I can generally choose to do mostly beam reaches. Not a lot of point A to point B journeys.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I sail a lot with only a 150% Genoa. No problems.
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

dlandersson wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:32 am I sail a lot with only a 150% Genoa. No problems.

I am seriously considering going to a 150% only and removing the boom/main sail completely.
As it is, I have a standard non-uv jib (so keep a sock on it) and standard mainsail with the UV cover.
Having to lower/unzip/remove the front sock, remove the mainsail cover, then get the mainsail up, (slugs and halyard run to the cockpit) then considering getting the mainsail down and re-socking/covering everything keeps us from going out some times, and makes it hard for me to go solo.

Figuring a 150% with UV built in, I can just unroll and go.
Also kind of like the idea of 1 set of ropes to deal with and not having to work around the boom, or worry about the boom hitting someone.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

leefrankpierce wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:57 am
dlandersson wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:32 am I sail a lot with only a 150% Genoa. No problems.

I am seriously considering going to a 150% only and removing the boom/main sail completely.
As it is, I have a standard non-uv jib (so keep a sock on it) and standard mainsail with the UV cover.
Having to lower/unzip/remove the front sock, remove the mainsail cover, then get the mainsail up, (slugs and halyard run to the cockpit) then considering getting the mainsail down and re-socking/covering everything keeps us from going out some times, and makes it hard for me to go solo.

Figuring a 150% with UV built in, I can just unroll and go.
Also kind of like the idea of 1 set of ropes to deal with and not having to work around the boom, or worry about the boom hitting someone.
Not a bad idea.RF Genoa only is nice and easy and certainly still enjoyable. I do it a fair amount.

However for the main; I made a lot of efficiency gains w streamlining my mainsail process....halyard aft, easy bungies to secure sail to boom, and a zip on mainsail cover. I used a topping lift initially but ended up splurging on a Boom kicker from bwyachts. That helps keep everything in place when I raise and lower the main. Do u have sail slugs? They help immensely.

https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3455-1v0.htm
Tohatsu 25HP
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

Yes, have slugs and a plastic mastgate.
Seems they always get hung up either up or down so I usually end up having to go to the mast anyway.
Also considered removing the gate and hammering closed, or even using a sliding gooseneck like my old hobbie cat.
Getting the front sock on/off = a real pain.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

leefrankpierce wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:44 am Yes, have slugs and a plastic mastgate.
Seems they always get hung up either up or down so I usually end up having to go to the mast anyway.
Also considered removing the gate and hammering closed, or even using a sliding gooseneck like my old Hobbie cat.
Perhaps you might want to send your jib to a sail maker and have a Sunbrella furling strip sewn on. Doyle sails did a nice job for me on both the 110 and the Genoa. I did get a little damage (stitches pulled out for about a foot) on it during Hurricane Ian, but, what the heck; that was the total damage I sustained, and boat stayed in the slip for both Ian and Nicole. Doyle patched it up for me for minimal charge. Also, I have used sail makers wax to lubricate hanks and sail tracks with some success.
https://www.westmarine.com/bainbridge-s ... 74235.html
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:52 pm
leefrankpierce wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:44 am Yes, have slugs and a plastic mastgate.
Also considered removing the gate and hammering closed, or even using a sliding gooseneck like my old Hobbie cat.
Perhaps you might want to send your jib to a sail maker and have a Sunbrella furling strip sewn on. Doyle sails did a nice job for me on both the 110 and the Genoa. I did get a little damage (stitches pulled out for about a foot) on it during Hurricane Ian, but, what the heck; that was the total damage I sustained, and boat stayed in the slip for both Ian and Nicole. Doyle patched it up for me for minimal charge. Also, I have used sail makers wax to lubricate hanks and sail tracks with some success.
How much did tge furling cover cost?
Tohatsu 25HP
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:52 pm
Thanks, could be I could send it in and get it reshaped too. (presume it is blown out but not torn)
Also wondering about the cost for reshape + cover added.

As far as my sluggs hanging up, it is the plastic mastgate they get hung on. It Almost works, but not 100%, which is why I was thinking of hammering it closed. Also I might have added too many slugs, put them about 1.5 ft apart, do not think I need that many.

Lee