Genoa only sailing

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Genoa only sailing

Post by Herschel »

I am considering trying to rig my X temporarily for "Genoa only" sailing. I sail on a lake that is roughly 5 miles in diameter, or I motor on the associated river system of which the lake is a part. I keep my boat in a marina slip all year. My usual rig is a main and the standard working jib. Ian and Nicole have left my jib needing some minor repairs, so it is off and being boxed up for the Doyle sail loft. Bats have been attempting to homestead inside my covered mainsail, so it is off the boom. It is cumbersome to deal with without taking the battens out, and the logistics/space of stowing the fully installed main on the boom below is tedious for me at the ripe old age of 78. Therefore, the interest in Genoa only sailing. Bats can't get in it when furled. Yet, it is handy and easy to unfurl and furl on my roller furler. What experiences do my fellow Mac owners have with sailing with just the Genoa? I'll add that my wife and I use the boat strictly for pleasure day sailing unless we are going downstream in the river for a few days, and we aren't in a hurry to get anywhere when sailing. We like to go out and just do broad/beam reaches or modest work upwind. No racing or trying to coax the last little bit of speed out of her. Thoughts/recommendations!? :?
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Re: Genoa only sailing

Post by pitchpolehobie »

:macx: :macx: I have sailed quite a bit with just my roller furled 150 Genoa and no main. Typicaiy on lazy days when I just want to move and don't care so much about speed (usually BC I have to be on the phone for work). Just with a guess ID say I get about 75% of typical speed with just the one sail. As far as pointing and sailing to weather maybe I lose a few degrees. The boat is still very manueverable with any real wind.

I use the quick release https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm
For my genoa sheets mounted in the cockpit rails. They're recommended for light to modrate wind and Ive used them without issue up to 20knots.

So in summary, I like it, simplifies sailing, give it a shot. I think you'll love using the boat that way. You wont heel as much so its harder to spill your drink..
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

I've done it some. It is certainly worth doing if it's your only option. Moves the boat fairly well in a decent breeze.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Yup.

I sail that way all the time. Especially when I'm lazy and don't want to deal with the main. Or at night when I don't want to climb on deck in the dark.
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

You may have a little more lee helm and will not be able to point as high but it is doable. I certainly beats not sailing. 8)
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

This seems to be the preferred method for boats on my lake when they are just out for a leisurely sail. Your situation sounds like the perfect fit for a genoa-only approach.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 am :macx: :macx: I have sailed quite a bit with just my roller furled 150 Genoa and no main. Typicaiy on lazy days when I just want to move and don't care so much about speed (usually BC I have to be on the phone for work). Just with a guess ID say I get about 75% of typical speed with just the one sail. As far as pointing and sailing to weather maybe I lose a few degrees. The boat is still very manueverable with any real wind.

For my genoa sheets mounted in the cockpit rails. They're recommended for light to modrate wind and Ive used them without issue up to 20knots.

So in summary, I like it, simplifies sailing, give it a shot. I think you'll love using the boat that way. You wont heel as much so its harder to spill your drink..
Thank you all. Just ordered two of those puppies! :)
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Herschel wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:44 pm
pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 am :macx: :macx: I have sailed quite a bit with just my roller furled 150 Genoa and no main. Typicaiy on lazy days when I just want to move and don't care so much about speed (usually BC I have to be on the phone for work). Just with a guess ID say I get about 75% of typical speed with just the one sail. As far as pointing and sailing to weather maybe I lose a few degrees. The boat is still very manueverable with any real wind.

Thank you all. Just ordered two of those puppies! :)
Theyre in the running for the best 100$ I spent on my boat. Can control everything without moving your butt from behind the wheel. :macx: :D
Tohatsu 25HP
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Russ wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:46 am Yup.

I sail that way all the time. Especially when I'm lazy and don't want to deal with the main. Or at night when I don't want to climb on deck in the dark.
Could you estimate how much more furling line, than that for a standard jib, needs to be wrapped around the furler spool for it to completely furl the Genoa. I actually haven't used my Genoa in about 17 years! Yikes! :|
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Herschel wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:20 pm
Russ wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:46 am Yup.

Could you estimate how much more furling line, than that for a standard jib, needs to be wrapped around the furler spool for it to completely furl the Genoa. I actually haven't used my Genoa in about 17 years! Yikes! :|
I couldnt guess but I used a 50ft spool of paracord 750. Had to melt the core to the sheath at the ends otherwise it'll slip after you size it up and apply tension. It replaced a double braid furling line on the cheap after it was fraying.
Tohatsu 25HP
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Herschel wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:20 pm
Good question.

I don't know. I replaced my standard jib with the 150 and used the same furler line that came with my BWY jib. Apparently, it was long enough.
Still using the original from 2008.

I have replaced my sheets and bought those track cleats https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm which work well.
The genoa is harder to tack and pull around the mast if winds are light.

If I were smart, I would install lazy jacks for the main because I'm lazy and often sail with headsail ONLY.
--Russ
LakeMac26C
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by LakeMac26C »

You need 45' of furling line. https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/l101-100.htm
I recently replaced my furling line on my 26C for the genoa. The PO used the wrong line and was too short, too thick, and too stretchy. This created a lot of serious problems on the water. I think I went to WM for the correct length, diameter, and material, but I followed the recommendations from BWY. No problems whatsoever now! And it allows for a few extra wraps around the drum when it's furled.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

LakeMac26C wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:31 am You need 45' of furling line. https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/l101-100.htm
I recently replaced my furling line on my 26C for the genoa. The PO used the wrong line and was too short, too thick, and too stretchy. This created a lot of serious problems on the water. I think I went to WM for the correct length, diameter, and material, but I followed the recommendations from BWY. No problems whatsoever now! And it allows for a few extra wraps around the drum when it's furled.
Thank you. I will measure my current one and see if it is that long. Appreciate the info. 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Herschel wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:25 pm
LakeMac26C wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:31 am You need 45' of furling line. https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/l101-100.htm
Thank you. I will measure my current one and see if it is that long. Appreciate the info. 8)
Yep, same problem you encountered. The line I had bought a couple of years ago when I upgraded is 1/4 in line, and it is too thick to give me the number of wraps on the furler I need for the Genoa. Long enough, but too thick. Off to WM for 3/16 in rope tomorrow. Thanks for the BWY link. Since I am in Florida, I'll do what you did and use the BWY specs and buy local.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I sail a fair amount with only my Genoa. Works fine in winds of 5+ knots. 8)