M25 Interior Wood Trim

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
moserwe
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

M25 Interior Wood Trim

Post by moserwe »

I recently bought a 1984 M25. The interior wood trim that covers the row of bolt that connect the hull to the deck is missing. What is the cross-section dimension of missing wood trim? Also, what kind of wood was the original trim and what was the finish on the wood trim? Also, how was the original trim attached? Just trying to get the M25 back to its original design.

All, I am new to sailing and new to this great forum. Thanks for your help!
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: M25 Interior Wood Trim

Post by Jimmyt »

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you participating. Hopefully an M25 owner will be able to answer your question in the next few days. Congratulations on your boat acquisition.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Wyb2
Engineer

Post by Wyb2 »

I happen to have these sitting in my garage next to a pair of calipers. They’re 2” wide by just under 1/2” thick. Not sure on the wood, they are a darker color, maybe teak, but maybe something else.

They were attached to the boat with just SS self tapping screws (wood screw threads). I wouldn’t replicate this, in order to center the screws visually on the 2” width, they are tapping into the liner where it meets the hull, rather than lower where it has a gap off the inside of the hull. On my boat, there is at least 1 location where a long enough screw was used that it poked all the way through to the inside of the rub rail, and now leaks. When I reinstall them I plan on bonding some small blocks of wood to the liner, then attaching the trim to those.
moserwe

Post by moserwe »

Thanks for the quick response on the dimensions of the trim, also how to attach the trim to the to the liner. It's nice to know there is a group of people out there that can and will answer questions for a newbie. Thanks again!