Best way to identify Trailer?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Chumpy36
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Best way to identify Trailer?

Post by Chumpy36 »

HI all,

The boat I recently picked up has what I believe to be an original 26S trailer although maybe not the same year as the boar (92). The previous owner removed the brakes and rewired the lights. I would like to rewire myself (not a very good job) and replace the brakes. I'm interested in using electric brakes and a brake controller rather than deal with the surge brakes. Questions...

1. How to identify the trailer model? I don't see an obvious plate or serial.

2. once I determine the trailer, what are my options for brakes? can I do electric?

3. The re-wiring is straight forward but is there a brand or type of lights people like?

4. There is some surface rust on parts of the trailer. I had planned to use a wire brush to knock it off and then repaint. Anything else I should be doing?

5. Any other goodies that I should add to make launching/trailering easier?

Thanks!

J
Maraquita
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Best way to identify Trailer?

Post by Maraquita »

I replaced the surge brakes on my 26D trailer with electric. I assume it would be about the same as yours. Used an internet sight called "E-Trailer" and all I needed to do was remove the backing plates and measure the distances between mounting holes. They are all pretty standard, with only 2 or 3 choices to buy. If I remember correctly I wound up with new backing plates, brake assemblies, drum/hubs and bearings which fit the existing axles and shafts for about $300.00.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

Georgia requires trailer serial numbers to be on a plate riveted to the trailer. The serial number should also be on your trailer registration. It would have been required to get a tag.

As Maraquita explained you only need to know about the axle on the boat. The brakes are not specific to a particular brand of trailer; they are specific to the axle and weight of the trailer. I will also second his endorsement of e-trailer. They have a wealth of information on their website on how to determine the correct brakes for your trailer and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Electric brakes with a controller are probably overkill for a trailer that size but it won't hurt anything other than your wallet. If the trailer came with surge brakes you may need to replace the coupler if you go with a non-surge brake solution.

Take a close look at the axle and spindles. If anything is questionable you may consider getting a new axle with the brakes of your choice already installed. This would also be a good time to service the springs and hangers.

You can do the job with the boat on the trailer but it is much easier if the boat is off.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

A couple of other things:

After you remove the rust treat it with a rust inhibitor before painting.

Check the entire trailer for bad spots by tapping with a hammer. Listen for a change in the sound that may indicate that there is rust inside the trailer frame where you can't see it. Pay particular attention to the tongue.

If the axle is original it was probably located on the frame with a small metal dowel that went into a hole in the axle. This hole is a path for water to get inside the axle and rust it out from the inside. Pay particular attention to the end of the axle where the spindle is welded on.

LED lights will give you less trouble over the long haul.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

Be Free wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:43 am Georgia requires trailer serial numbers to be on a plate riveted to the trailer. The serial number should also be on your trailer registration. It would have been required to get a tag.

As Maraquita explained you only need to know about the axle on the boat. The brakes are not specific to a particular brand of trailer; they are specific to the axle and weight of the trailer. I will also second his endorsement of e-trailer. They have a wealth of information on their website on how to determine the correct brakes for your trailer and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Electric brakes with a controller are probably overkill for a trailer that size but it won't hurt anything other than your wallet. If the trailer came with surge brakes you may need to replace the coupler if you go with a non-surge brake solution.

Take a close look at the axle and spindles. If anything is questionable you may consider getting a new axle with the brakes of your choice already installed. This would also be a good time to service the springs and hangers.

You can do the job with the boat on the trailer but it is much easier if the boat is off.

Apparently PO did not register trailer in Florida. I’m hoping the trailer has a serial number somewhere so I can use a bill of sale to register the trailer.

It looks like the surge co troller is easily removable with bolts yes?

Does it just make more sense to put surge back on?

I’ll take a good look at the boat once I get it off the trailer for a bottom job.

Thank you!
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

Be Free wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:53 am A couple of other things:

After you remove the rust treat it with a rust inhibitor before painting.

Check the entire trailer for bad spots by tapping with a hammer. Listen for a change in the sound that may indicate that there is rust inside the trailer frame where you can't see it. Pay particular attention to the tongue.

If the axle is original it was probably located on the frame with a small metal dowel that went into a hole in the axle. This hole is a path for water to get inside the axle and rust it out from the inside. Pay particular attention to the end of the axle where the spindle is welded on.

LED lights will give you less trouble over the long haul.
I was thinking of using the rust oleum inhibit I’ve primer before spraying with paint.

Good?

Will check out axle. So far the large frames have passed the tap test.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Others have told me this stuff is the best for rust prevention. I used this on iron pipes and it seems to work well.

Keep in mind, trailers often rust from the INSIDE OUT. So inspect if you can with a flashlight or better an endoscope camera.

--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Chumpy36 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:08 am Apparently PO did not register trailer in Florida. I’m hoping the trailer has a serial number somewhere so I can use a bill of sale to register the trailer.

I’ll take a good look at the boat once I get it off the trailer for a bottom job.

Thank you!
Florida also requires a serial number to register (get a tag for) a trailer. How did it get from Florida to Atlanta without a tag?

I've found the factory number either on the tongue or on the frame just behind the tongue on most trailers I've searched. I had one trailer on a beach cat that I registered as "home made" and then found the factory number years later. :?

The coupler should be bolted through the tongue with a couple of large bolts.

It may be easier to stick with surge if that's what was already on the trailer, assuming that the coupler and master cylinder are in working condition. The condition of the coupler is not a "given". If you have to change the coupler anyway then it boils down to what type of brakes you decide to put on it. Electric or hydraulic surge will use a similar - but not identical - coupler that will slide on the tongue. If you are using a controller inside the tow vehicle it will use a standard, non-sliding coupler.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

Be Free wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:51 pm
Chumpy36 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:08 am Apparently PO did not register trailer in Florida. I’m hoping the trailer has a serial number somewhere so I can use a bill of sale to register the trailer.

Thank you!
Florida also requires a serial number to register (get a tag for) a trailer. How did it get from Florida to Atlanta without a tag?

I've found the factory number either on the tongue or on the frame just behind the tongue on most trailers I've searched. I had one trailer on a beach cat that I registered as "home made" and then found the factory number years later. :?

The coupler should be bolted through the tongue with a couple of large bolts.

It may be easier to stick with surge if that's what was already on the trailer, assuming that the coupler and master cylinder are in working condition. The condition of the coupler is not a "given". If you have to change the coupler anyway then it boils down to what type of brakes you decide to put on it. Electric or hydraulic surge will use a similar - but not identical - coupler that will slide on the tongue. If you are using a controller inside the tow vehicle it will use a standard, non-sliding coupler.

PO told me he had trailer title and the trailer (and boat) were ready to travel. I got down there and that wasn't the case. So I chanced it. I was lucky.

I've done the "home made" trailer thing before and can again I supposed but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

If I can find the trailer serial number I can have PO make me a bill of sale just for the trailer and register it that way I believe.

J
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Here's a thread on location of the serial #s on trailers

viewtopic.php?t=27533
--Russ
Chumpy36
Engineer