hull dolly

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Duquette5
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

hull dolly

Post by Duquette5 »

Back in my Navy days I had the pleasure of being able to visit one of the "chip" shops where they built the ships boats. These were typically 40+ footers used by the ships Captain. I was stationed aboard a carrier and we were a flag vessel, meaning the Fleet Admiral was on board so we had a very nice ships boat. I recall the ships boats being on purpose built "dollies" for movement around the shops. Anyone build a dolly for their X or M? I've got some work to do on the X and want to take it off the trailer (which needs to be replaced also) and keep it movable. Bonus points or pizza if you have pics!
Dukling :mac19:
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: hull dolly

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I was going to observe that a trailer is essentially a dolly, just maybe not as maneuverable, but the need for replacement of the trailer points to the possibility that the trailer itself is not up to the task.

This gets me to thinking (bad sign!). If the basic structure of your existing trailer is sound, why not just convert it to a dolly? Bunks are already in place, so it saves at least that part of the construction. Lumber or steel should suffice for supporting wheeled section.

I have some cribs I constructed for my S sitting on the back lot. I'll send pics if I can get time to take them.

Also, jealous that you apparently have a shop big enough to wheel a 26-foot sailboat around in!
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Duquette5 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:50 am Back in my Navy days I had the pleasure of being able to visit one of the "chip" shops where they built the ships boats. These were typically 40+ footers used by the ships Captain. I was stationed aboard a carrier and we were a flag vessel, meaning the Fleet Admiral was on board so we had a very nice ships boat. I recall the ships boats being on purpose built "dollies" for movement around the shops. Anyone build a dolly for their X or M? I've got some work to do on the X and want to take it off the trailer (which needs to be replaced also) and keep it movable. Bonus points or pizza if you have pics!
Please don’t let Kevin see this post :( He always orders his 🍕 with anchovies :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
WinSome
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WinSome »

Interested in what the work on your ‘X’ will involve. How high up do you need the boat? Might you just use car dollies under the trailer tires (or with tires removed ) to shift it sideways. Dollies such as these https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-6000-lb ... /319040357?
If boat needs to get up higher - shifting will be an issue unless your shop has serious equipment. Keep your safety in mind!
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I never perceived there was such an animal, a search produced this.

Winsome’s idea seems more reasonable; why do you need to move the boat around instead of just zipping around under it :?:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:03 am I was going to observe that a trailer is essentially a dolly, just maybe not as maneuverable, but the need for replacement of the trailer points to the possibility that the trailer itself is not up to the task.

This gets me to thinking (bad sign!). If the basic structure of your existing trailer is sound, why not just convert it to a dolly? Bunks are already in place, so it saves at least that part of the construction. Lumber or steel should suffice for supporting wheeled section.

I have some cribs I constructed for my S sitting on the back lot. I'll send pics if I can get time to take them.

Also, jealous that you apparently have a shop big enough to wheel a 26-foot sailboat around in!

My cousin has a 60 x 40 pole barn that I am borrowing for the work. I'd love to order one and have it put up on my property but there's a huge Beech tree right where I'd put it (and the Admiral said NO).
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:09 am ... Winsome’s idea seems more reasonable; why do you need to move the boat around instead of just zipping around under it :?:
I need to do some glass work on the bottom of the hull. I'd like to take the trailer and have it sand blasted and a second axle added while I'm working on the hull.

Speaking with my cousin we may just cannibalize a couple of old popup campers he has on his property and take two sets of axles and make a big rolling cart. Something like this but bigger:
https://www.westmarine.com/brownell-boa ... 98QAvD_BwE
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Well, whatever you do, keep us informed; this reads as very interesting.

You have a plan, a will to get it done, and it seems the wherewithal to get it done. Post photos.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

OK, somewhat off-topic, but this thread reminds me of a bizarre dream in which I and my brother were in a sailboat on a dolly, being blown about in a deserted parking lot. We did have some sailing misadventures back in the day, but I think the dream was triggered by seeing dinghies being displayed on dollies out in front of our local West Marine. The moral? Don't be on a sailboat on a dollie in a parking lot in windy conditions. :)

And yes, post photos of your project.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:31 pm OK, somewhat off-topic, but this thread reminds me of a bizarre dream in which I and my brother were in a sailboat on a dolly, being blown about in a deserted parking lot. We did have some sailing misadventures back in the day, but I think the dream was triggered by seeing dinghies being displayed on dollies out in front of our local West Marine. The moral? Don't be on a sailboat on a dollie in a parking lot in windy conditions. :)

And yes, post photos of your project.
There's a lake near by that I used to live on (Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg) that folks do ice sailing. Looks like a lot of high speed fun! Though I did see a fella flip because he hit a hole from someone ice fishing, broke his arm and collar bone. Had to help pull him and his gear off the ice.
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

:D I thought you were kidding. There really is such a lake 8)
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:14 pm :D I thought you were kidding. There really is such a lake 8)
I had to look it up also. Very interesting name.
--Russ
Duquette5
Engineer

Post by Duquette5 »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:14 pm :D I thought you were kidding. There really is such a lake 8)
Supposedly it’s a Native American expression for ‘you fish on your side, I fish on my side, no one fish in the middle’

I am an old navy guy and can tell you if a story starts out with “now listen up this ain’t no $hit…” you should probably assume it is a highly embellished story! :D
Dougiestyle
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Dougiestyle »

Yep now I know tooooooooo much :? Oh wait i just forgot somethin :P
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"