Simple mod for boat hook storage

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Simple mod for boat hook storage

Post by NiceAft »

NiceAft wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:00 am I have always kept our expandable boat hook in the cabin, vertically, next to the companion way steps, port side. It doesn’t move while underway. If, while in the cockpit, I suddenly need it, it’s right there at the cockpit. I just reach in, and it’s there, right at the cabin entrance, port side, sticking up and easy to grab.
When I posted this, I could not, and still can not, show a photo since the boat hook is currently extending from the bow pulpit, holding up the roller furler. However, Kevin’s photo works well, and I realized what I did would not work on an :macx: .

Kevin placed the hook on the starboard side; I place mine on the port side, but I don’t need any hooks. The location of the sliding galley, and a strategically placed fire extinguisher supports the hook vertically. Easily accessible from the cockpit.
Ray ~~_/)~~
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Simple mod for boat hook storage

Post by pitchpolehobie »

The 4tier black rack has been one of my best mods for the boat. I keep my hook hanging on it. It mostly stays in place if i need to i can secure it in more.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie