replacing halyards with mast stepped

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: replacing halyards with mast stepped

Post by Herschel »

rsvpasap wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:04 am I would cut the ends of the lines off flush and use a Speedy Sticker to sew them together so they can pass through the blocks with no problems. The wax coated twine that comes in the package with the Speedy Stitcher is more than strong enough for this job. Alternatively, you could use sail thread.

Good advice. Achieved success with this technique yesterday on the main halyard. Will follow through with the jib next week. I used the sail twine with a dull needle so none of the strands would be cut and the twine would just go through the spaces the needle creates. The black is old and the white is new.

Then I taped the joint with Gorilla tape to strengthen the joint and did one wrap or electrical tape at the leading edge for smoothness going through the blocks. I used the deck blocks for cabin control of halyards as my test blocks for the system.

Lastly after the joint had successfully transited both deck blocks, I hoisted the main halyard all the way up. It went right through the mast head block and down to my hand.

Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Great job and an equally great job of documenting it. That will be very useful to others.

The jib should be easier. It is a shorter run and the pulley has more freedom to move.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Great job! Beats the heck out of what we had to do on my Buddy’s 31 Packet yesterday…. Internal halyards that were mis-fed at the top by a PO. So, couldn’t simply re-feed the new one. Made me appreciate my Mac and my MRS.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Well done, great pics!
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Yes, well done, and as previously noted, this “will be very useful to others”.

Go one step farther, post something in the Mods section. This can be of help.

Hey, how about doing it all over again and making a video for YouTube. :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:10 pm Yes, well done, and as previously noted, this “will be very useful to others”.

Go one step farther, post something in the Mods section. This can be of help.

Hey, how about doing it all over again and making a video for YouTube. :D
Thank you for the kind words. I'm not YouTube "literate" enough to post anything. I understand that for those that do post, you have a major video editing effort that goes into making a smooth video. I am afraid a straight video would have included me taking time to get kinks out of line, finding which drawer in the galley my tape was in, and being very unprofessional in finding a way to get the needle through the rope. I didn't have a good sail mending glove with a think pad for the end of the needle. And you would have heard some salty language at finding more bat scat in my cockpit. :x I have been plagued with bats on my boat for about three years. I took off the mainsail completely, which is where they were trying to settle. This guy this week was hanging out in my rolled-up Bimini. But I digress. Thanks for the suggestion. 8)
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Actually, only kidding about YouTube. :evil: :wink: Serious thought about the Mods selection. What you did really could be of help.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:02 pm Actually, only kidding about YouTube. :evil: :wink: Serious thought about the Mods selection. What you did really could be of help.
Isn't this already posted in the "mods" section? :?
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Are you saying that you have already placed your successful procedure in the mods, or, there is already the exact method posted. if not, then post what you did. If someone did something different, but with the same results, then post.

There were many suggestions, you made a choice. So post your choice. Someone may yet tell me I’m wrong.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:54 pm Image

Are you saying that you have already placed your successful procedure in the mods, or, there is already the exact method posted. if not, then post what you did. If someone did something different, but with the same results, then post.

There were many suggestions, you made a choice. So post your choice. Someone may yet tell me I’m wrong.
I am confused, which is not an unusual state these days, but this post is in the Repairs and Modifications section of the forum. Is there another place in the forum for "mods"? OBTW, I did finish the jib halyard doing the same techniques used on the main halyard. It was very windy, and I had to work from the area near the mast rather than the cockpit, so I did not take my phone topside. I had to tie down my tool bag and knee pad, as it was and be very careful to keep both ends of the old and new halyards secured to the mast cleats as I went. In the pic you see how I secure my halyards, so they don't vibrate against the mast. My slip neighbors are liveaboards, and they really appreciate the quiet coming from my boat. You can see how I keep my "baby stays" secured to the lower shrouds with heavy duty twist ties so I can easily walk around the mast and down to the foredeck wearing a broadbrim sunhat.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Now I understand

This is the forum for discussing mods, but you can post the directions for doing your successful work by going to the “Main Site”
This is using my phone, so it may be different on a computer.

Then clicking on the menus area in the upper right hand corner. This will bring up this. I will ask Russ or Kevin to supply instructions.

Click on mods, and it will bring up this.

Now, I must confess, I have never added to the mods section.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Herschel wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:57 pm I am confused, which is not an unusual state these days, but this post is in the Repairs and Modifications section of the forum. Is there another place in the forum for "mods"?
The Mods forum (here) is where we can discuss and share mods.
The main site has a dedicated section that is browsable and searchable for posting mods. There are 20 years of them.

Here: https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/

It's not linked to the forum, so to post there you will need to register and verify your registration via the email it will send. Then you can post a description and photos of your mod.

Many mods discussed in this forum get documented in the MODS section of the main site.

I think I will make a "how to" document for posting over there.

--Russ
--Russ
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Russ wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:56 pm
Herschel wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:57 pm I am confused, which is not an unusual state these days, but this post is in the Repairs and Modifications section of the forum. Is there another place in the forum for "mods"?
The Mods forum (here) is where we can discuss and share mods.
The main site has a dedicated section that is browsable and searchable for posting mods. There are 20 years of them.

Here: https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/

It's not linked to the forum, so to post there you will need to register and verify your registration via the email it will send. Then you can post a description and photos of your mod.

Many mods discussed in this forum get documented in the MODS section of the main site.

I think I will make a "how to" document for posting over there.

--Russ
Got it. Give me a few days to sort that out and see how the MODS site is set up and organized, and I'll repost this over there. Thanks for the invite to do so. Don't know how I missed this feature all these years. :?
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Postscript on this topic: The April (2023) issue of Practical Sailor magazine addresses this very issue using either a spliced eye or a sewn eye in the end of the two ropes to be joined sewn together with whipping twine. The magazine's approach appears to be a safer, more secure method especially for yachts with halyards run up through the mast that could catch on something untoward hidden within.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

My resolve to that issue but seeing I have over 6 halyards on my boat I just hired three trained Monkeys

for the cost of a bunch of Banana,s

while I gave instructions & constructive criticism while having a wee dram

Jeez just sayin thats all :wink:

J 8)