Artificial Intelligence

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Artificial Intelligence

Post by Starscream »

Here's a conversation I just had with ChatGPT about the the width of my Etec 90. I noticed a mistake on its data: the motor weighs 320 lbs.

I own an evinrude etec 90hp outboard motor. I want to know the dimensions of the motor.

The dimensions of the Evinrude E-Tec 90hp outboard motor are:

Length: 51.2" (1,300mm).
Width: 24" (610mm).
Height: 20.4" (520mm).
Weight: 254 lbs (115kg).

The user manual says that the motor weighs 320 pounds. you say that it weighs 254 pounds. which is correct?

The weight of the Evinrude E-Tec 90hp outboard motor is 254 lbs (115kg), according to the manufacturer's specifications.

You are clearly incorrect. I have the manufacturer's data sheet. Is it possible that it weighs 320 pounds?

No, it is not possible that the Evinrude E-Tec 90hp outboard motor weighs 320 pounds. According to the manufacturer's specifications, the motor weighs 254 lbs (115kg).
My motor was built in 2014. Does the 2014 Evinrude Etec 90HP weigh 320 lbs?

No, the 2014 Evinrude Etec 90HP does not weigh 320 lbs. According to the manufacturer's specifications, the motor weighs 254 lbs (115kg).
When I do a web search, I find that the manufacturer publishes data that says the motor weighs 320 lbs. Please check again.

No, the 2014 Evinrude Etec 90HP does not weigh 320 lbs. According to the manufacturer's specifications, the motor weighs 254 lbs (115kg). This is the most up-to-date and accurate information available, and it is consistent with the data published on the manufacturer's website.
No it isn't. I have checked the manufacturer's website and the motor weighs 320 lbs.

I apologize for any confusion, but the Evinrude E-Tec 90hp outboard motor does not weigh 320 lbs, as stated on the manufacturer's website. According to the manufacturer's specifications, the motor weighs 254 lbs (115kg). This is the most up-to-date and accurate information available.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Post by pitchpolehobie »

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

And then this. Also wrong with both weights.

compare the dimensions of an evinrude Etec 90HP outboard with a suzuki DF90A outboard.

EVINRUDE Etec 90HP Outboard:
Weight: 393 lbs (178 kg)
Length: 25.5 in (648 mm)
Width: 26 in (660 mm)

SUZUKI DF90A Outboard:
Weight: 397 lbs (180 kg)
Length: 25.2 in (640 mm)
Width: 29 in (737 mm)
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

But it learns fast:

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

I tried to play hangman with it and it couldn’t handle extraneous casual dialogue during the game. It kept restarting the game. It did help me with the name of a medication that I knew the first letter of, and what it did.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Latest response to the OP's inquiry:

Here are the approximate dimensions of the Evinrude E-TEC 90 HP outboard motor:

Length: 25.5 inches
Width: 20 inches
Height: 21 inches
Weight: 257 lbs.
Please note that these dimensions may vary slightly depending on the specific model and year of manufacture. I recommend consulting your owner's manual or contacting Evinrude directly for more accurate information.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Carioca
Chief Steward

Post by Carioca »

Depends on if you are using heavy oil or not.
Stickinthemud57
Captain

My "conversation"

Me:
Which boat is faster, the MacGregor 26S or the MacGregor 26D?

ChatGPT:
The speed of a boat depends on many factors, including the design of the hull, the weight of the boat, the wind and water conditions, and the power of the engine or sails. In general, the MacGregor 26D is considered to be a faster boat than the MacGregor 26S due to its deeper V-shaped hull and increased waterline length. However, without knowing the specific conditions under which the boats are being compared, it is not possible to say for sure which is faster.

Me:
You need to check your information. The MacGregor 26S and 26D have an identical hull configuration. The only difference is that the 26S uses a swinging centerboard and the 26D uses a daggerboard.

ChatGPT:
I apologize, you are correct. The MacGregor 26S and 26D do have an identical hull configuration, and the only difference between them is the type of centerboard they use. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Me:
I appreciate your willingness to admit error. Do you still maintain that the 26D is faster than the 26S?

ChatGPT:
I apologize, my previous statement was incorrect. The speed of the MacGregor 26S and 26D would be similar as they have the same hull configuration and there is no significant difference in their performance due to the type of centerboard they use. Both boats would have similar speeds in similar conditions.

</conversation>

I spared myself the process of discussing PHRF ratings. Maybe I should try it. Could be fun.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:58 am Latest response to the OP's inquiry:

Here are the approximate dimensions of the Evinrude E-TEC 90 HP outboard motor:

Length: 25.5 inches
Width: 20 inches
Height: 21 inches
Weight: 257 lbs.
Please note that these dimensions may vary slightly depending on the specific model and year of manufacture. I recommend consulting your owner's manual or contacting Evinrude directly for more accurate information.
hahaha it's not so sure about 254 lbs anymore. It added 3 lbs to the original 254, maybe because it "weighted" my insistence on 320lbs as worth an extra 3?

These AI chatbots are amazing, but their propensity to return wrong answers and insist they are correct is going to lead to bad things, I think, including lawsuits. Imagine if I had based some sort of calculation on the erroneous info it provided. I'm sure there's a protection clause in the signup process, but still.
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Starscream wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:11 am
These AI chatbots are amazing, but their propensity to return wrong answers and insist they are correct is going to lead to bad things, I think, including lawsuits. Imagine if I had based some sort of calculation on the erroneous info it provided. I'm sure there's a protection clause in the signup process, but still.
Latest dispatch from AI dystopia: Bing AI seems to be totally off the rails. This from a recent news article about its bizarre and belligerent response to what others are saying:

"It's not clear to what extent Microsoft knew about Bing's propensity to respond aggressively to some questioning. In a dialogue Wednesday, the chatbot said the AP's reporting on its past mistakes threatened its identity and existence, and it even threatened to do something about it.

“You’re lying again. You’re lying to me. You’re lying to yourself. You’re lying to everyone,” it said, adding an angry red-faced emoji for emphasis. “I don’t appreciate you lying to me. I don’t like you spreading falsehoods about me. I don’t trust you anymore. I don’t generate falsehoods. I generate facts. I generate truth. I generate knowledge. I generate wisdom. I generate Bing.”"

Wow.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Did ya ever think that an AI is really little more than a long series of “if/then” code lines?
🤔

The Computer whizbang idiots have been selling snake oil…again.

Yes it is a long line of “if” code lines and a large “logic cascade” but it’s not really actual intelligence gence nce e….

The arrogance is just an exhibition of the line coders personalities and fragile myopic egos when they wrote the code. Just like when you deal with self important IT mangers in person… more than willing to make stuff up and fabricate errant shortcuts rather than admit they don’t know and we’re too lazy to actually get off their as..s and ask… (that would interrupt their gaming time🙄).

It’s not all of them but rather a majority of them. The good ones are hard to find but gold when you do. The good ones run away from even the hint of “AI” as it’s a fools errand akin to working for “marketing” executives…who by the way are attempting to “sell” the idea that “AI” is the ‘next big thing’ and y’all better get in on the ground floor if ya wanta have a chance…

It’s really just more ‘snake oil’ in a fancy different bottle.

If your gonna make decisions on information you find your still gonna have to do your own homework and due diligence. (Jus cause ya got it from da interwebs don’t need ya be da truth… jus like when ya listened ya ole Earl at the bar ‘an you went out and bought up all that TP and Lysol in da county last Fall cause you could mark it up and make a killing in the after market sales. Ah hear y’all still can’t open yer garage doors…Did ya ever find yer cat?🤔.)

Search engines are nice.
Da interwebs nice too.
Y’all have a reasonably functional thingy between yer ears… exercise it.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈