New Cushions 26s

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Chumpy36
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

New Cushions 26s

Post by Chumpy36 »

Based on an idea I got here, I bought some plywood, cut to length and painted with Acrylic paint yesterday. Gonna add some rubber feet and then get some foam and a topper from an online source. Then I’ll wrap with fabric and staple to bases.

Any other hints?
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Re: New Cushions 26s

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Oriented strand board (what you appear to be using) is a great construction material with superior rigidity when compared to plywood and is more than up to this task. It is susceptible to moisture damage, so do try to seal it as well as possible.

That said, I'm not sure I would approach it this way, as it will make moving those cushions to get to the storage underneath a good deal more difficult than just tossing a cushion out of the way. Also, I would not be as keen due to the added weight since I race.

I would imagine you have "weighed" the alternatives, though, best of luck with the project!
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Chumpy36!

I’m with StickInTheMud57 on this…. Ply or OSB backed cushions can be heavier and possibly problematic when moving them around…. Generously Radiused corners and edges will soften the bangs and bruises as well as improve the durability of the fabric at the edges.

Having redone old chairs and stools via the board and “staple” process several times over the years I’ve found that unless using a proper pneumatic staple gun and upholstery staples that come with a glue varnish it’s been disappointing over time… the hand staplers are tiresome, don’t give particularly consistent penetration and pull themselves out with use. If doing something by hand I’ve found that quality HD capped upholstery tacks work better and are actually easier.

Given that hard backed cushions are a “one-shot” process a good tight weave heavy durable water and stain resistant fabric selection is key along with adding twice the “cushion” thickness (otherwise the “bum duration to uncomfort factor” tends to be shorter).

In Over Easy we when with the “all soft” approach with our cushion upgrade. They are lighter and easier to move around when accessing the various compartments. We also tired out the overfold and HD safety pin process which is working well (as we didn’t have access to a working sewing machine and didn’t want to hand stitch a cabin worth of cushions. But that was our choice and worked for us.

You have your own reasons for going hard backed which is what works for you. Going hard backed could allow you to remove the separate hatch covers if you so choose which could actually simplify things in your usage plan. Your boat/ Your rules.

Congratulations on the upgrade!
Post pictures and details of how things work out.
We’re sure that it will be great 👍 😊

It would be nice if you could also post it in the “Mods” section if you can.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

I don’t expect to move them much and will be removing the hatch covers and making front access to the v berth area. I don’t plan to race competitively either.

But you make a good point with just moving them about. I’m just afraid the cushions along won’t be enough support.

Could ditch this approach though. I don’t have much time or money into it. The biggest reason was to avoid the cost or learning to sew but maybe that’s not a great reason

All a learning process I guess
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Chumpy36!

We’re all in this together…We’re pulling for ya!

(I’ve had more than a few ‘brain fizzles’ :D :D of “what seemed a good 💡idea at the time” moments….🤔hmmm….the list is longer than I thought….)

We’ve learned from the suggestions and experiences of others here on forum (and elsewhere) that there are many different approaches to similar problems or desires.

There is no one right answer for most things. We’ve all benefit by sharing ideas and experiences. Things don’t have to be ‘one-n-done’ … sometimes iteration is the way to go to find what works best for you.

There aren’t a whole lotta things that are ‘perfect’ answers … most are matters of taste/preference/budget/time/expediency for most people or situations as you well know. Do what works for your situation.

For many Mac owners the original cushions are just right for them… for others they want more or different. Both are valid.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Chumpy36 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:59 am I … will be removing the hatch covers and making front access to the v berth area. I don’t plan to race competitively either.

I’m just afraid the cushions along won’t be enough support.
So, are you planning to span openings with the cushions in lieu of hatch covers? If so, I like the idea. My hatch covers slip and slide around and fall in the holes, leaving the cushions unsupported in spots. So, if I read you right, seems like a fine plan.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Chumpy36
Engineer

Post by Chumpy36 »

Yes, the idea would be to replace the hatch covers with these. I'm just concerned about the weight now. The bases aren't exactly light. But I should be able to pick up and slide on top of the other one. I may even open up the hatches a bit to make getting things in and out a little easier.

Thanks
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Check the construction before you do much cutting. On my M, the hatch openings have an offset and turn-down, creating a good bit of structure at the opening. Not sure about the S, so can’t advise. But, if I cut out the openings on my M any, what’s left wouldn’t be strong enough to hold me up without sagging or cracking. But, they’re already huge…
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River