Safety review before sailing season?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Safety review before sailing season?

Post by OverEasy »

Just a FYI note on the fire extinguisher 🧯 aspect…
I believe BoatUS ran a recent article about a change in US Coast Guard Regulations regarding a requirement to have “USCG Approved Marine Fire Extinguishers” with valid date codes on board this year.
Apparently just having one from the hardware store bought back ‘in the day’ doesn’t cut it anymore if/when you get inspected (before/after an incident.

Seems that there may have been too many incidents where not only have the extinguisher contents internally caked but that old carbon steel or old inadequately painted aluminum canisters have either failed to hold pressure or have structurally failed (as in going 💨 on their own). So that’s something one might want to check.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

No matter how new the extinguisher, it needs servicing once a year.

In my warehouse, I had several dry powder units. Once a year a service company came and inspected them so I could meet fire standards. One of the things they did was tap each with a rubber mallet to dislodge any caked material. The units were turned upside down and hit all over to dislodge.

On NiceAft, I do the same to the two ABC units I keep accessible. I also frequently check the pressure gauge.
Ray ~~_/)~~
AmandaRuth
Deckhand

Post by AmandaRuth »

Herschel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:18 pm
AmandaRuth wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:12 pm My two contributions:

1. check/shake/replace your fire extinguishers aboard.

2. never push on something with a collapsible boat hook that is extended - I broke my ribs that way when it gave way and I taco'd myself over a side railing. knocked the wind out of me, and I'm lucky I didn't fall between the boat and dock and get squished.
Wow! :o Could you point out if that occurred on your X, and if so, was it forward, amidships, or at the cockpit aft? Are we talking a standard aluminum "West Marine" type boat hook? What kind of forces were you dealing with?
It was on my X, but with the prior owner of it. It was a standard mid-level quality boat hook...the force of the boat moving collapsed it even though it was twisted/locked/tightened as much as it could be. When it collapsed I fell onto the railing on the port side mid-vessel and taco'd over that rail. knocked the wind out of me, so I couldn't even yell for help to un-taco myself. But keep in mind that I broke my ribs a couple of months diving for a pickleball...so maybe I'm a bit clutzy. :)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

OverEasy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:41 pm Hi Herschel!

Is it this sort of thingamabob?

If it is then it is currently offered by Sailrite for those interested.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Yes, that is the tool. It helps stretch the canvas to the snapping point, and then you can apply pressure with either end to help it get snapped. A lot easier on the thumbs and fingers.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

When it collapsed, I fell onto the railing on the port side mid-vessel and taco'd over that rail. knocked the wind out of me, so I couldn't even yell for help to un-taco myself. But keep in mind that I broke my ribs a couple of months diving for a pickleball...so maybe I'm a bit clutzy. :)
To avoid this kind of event, I make a special effort to place my forward crew in the hatch, so they are not vulnerable to a fall, or if needed aft instead, in the cockpit. That is one reason I am really enjoying "Genoa sailing only" because I can set up the boom as "handrail" for transiting the cabin top. It is a vulnerable pace to be.
On a separate note, tomorrow I will be going to my boat with a first aid kit upgrade and a rubber mallet to pound on my fire extinguisher. Good tip that. For the kit added several large bandages, gauze pads, and dressing sponges for larger cuts, bottles of commonly used pain relievers, and a burn treatment gel. Thought that would be helpful for an actual burn as well as a sun burn.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Lemme see….. Where did I put that video on the fire extinguisher reg changes? 🤔
Last edited by OverEasy on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Re: The New USCG 2023 Fire extinguisher requirements
Effective date: April 20, 2023

Best explained with this BoatUS video below:

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. The video makes understanding the rules easy. Here are the thousand words.

https://www.boatblurb.com/post/new-us-f ... etEALw_wcB

The question I ask is how many we need. The :macx: , :macm:, :tat26: are 2” (5.08cm) short of 26’. If inspected by the Coast Guard, are they going to be sticklers about the length?

Ray ~~_/)~~
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Obviously, this only applies to US boats. Apologies in advance to non-US owners.

The regulation divides boats as "less than 26 feet" and "26 feet or more". There is no wiggle room there. You can be sure that the USCG is going to be "sticklers about boat length" and will apply all of the rules relating to vessels less than 26 feet to your boat when inspecting it.

Regarding "how many (fire extinguishers) do we need?" the answer is at least one and as many as you (the captain) decide the vessel needs. Federal (and probably state) regulations require one extinguisher. They do not prohibit carrying more.

On my boat the answer is "two". There are two probable sources of ignition on my boat; the outboard and the alcohol stove. I have one extinguisher mounted just inside the companionway where it can be reached from the cockpit or aft of the stove. The second is between the stove and the forward hatch. Each probable ignition source has an extinguisher and an exit nearby.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Bill,

I understand your points, but I am not as confident as you as to where our boats fit in. If the Coast Guard officer counts the outboard, we are over 26’. If they don’t, we are 2” under. Nothing I see in the regulations stipulates what counts in the measurement, it seems to be very arbitrary. If they believe we are 26’, then the requirements say you must have two units regardless if you have an operational range below or not. Not all Mac owners need more than one readily accessible,

Just for clarity, I included metric measurements just to make it easier to understand for those whom metric is the standard. I always appreciate when the reverse is done for us. Saves me the time to figure it out. I just figured that non U.S. registered boaters know that our Coast Guard rules don’t apply for them.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

While it is extremely unlikely that the inspecting Coast Guard officer is going to get out a tape measure and verify the length of a commercially produced boat, the definition of "length" is not arbitrary but is spelled out in clearly in the Code of Federal Regulations.

Railings, outboards, anchor rollers, etc do not add to the length of the vessel. USCG personnel are professional and know the rules.

Code of Federal Regulations Title 46, Chapter 1, Subchapter M, Part 136, Subpart A, Section 136.110 (Definitions)

Length means the horizontal distance measured from end to end over the deck, excluding the sheer. Fittings and attachments are not included in the length measurement.

I have less faith in the knowledge of the average deputy, game warden, or other normally land-based law enforcement officer. They may or may not be as well-versed in the minutiae of the regulations. With them it is probably best to fall back on your state registration which should plainly document that your boat is 25' 10".

Now if you want to talk about marinas or harbor masters and how they measure boats for docking purposes, that is another story all together. You are most certainly 26' and maybe even longer depending on what you have bolted onto your deck (I'm looking at you Highlander) :wink: .
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Now I have to go back and see what length is listed on NiceAfts registration. I don't recall what Pennsylvania asks.

Post Script: This was filled out in 2004, go remember what I wrote. The owners card says 26' 10" 8)
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Nice Aft!
:D :D
So it appears from your note:
Post Script: This was filled out in 2004, go remember what I wrote. The owners card says 26' 10" 8)
Lucky you! That means you have the limited edition stretched version of Mac26M … or is this a case of whose is bigger?🫣😉
:D :D

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

:D

As to what I did….
I’m already checking into how to change the information.

Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi NiceAft!

Betcha yur insurance agent likes the extra length permiums too 🥰🙄🫣.

(Just something else that you might wanta get fixed once you get the owners card & registration sorted out….)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈