Makita battery sink pump

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Makita battery sink pump

Post by Ixneigh »

So, I’ve hated the leaky hand pump, and the hand pump I replaced it with also leaked. The water would find its way under the sink and make a mess. A while ago I bought a 12v CPU cooling pump with the intention of using it as a micro pump running from a makita 12v (10.5 v nom) battery, which I have in my drill and hacksaw kit. Here are some pictures.

I’m not sure how long the charge will last.
Swapping out the battery is easy
It’s activated by a button switch on the cabinet door.
I did not include a fuse. I may remedy that later.
I intend to make a little box to securely hold the battery after the system proves itself functional.
I used a piece of scrap copper tubing, but I can make a much nicer one layer.

"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Chumpy36
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Makita battery sink pump

Post by Chumpy36 »

Nice. I’m about to tackle my sink pump issues too.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Interesting. A water cooled CPU pump? I would never have thought of that. Very clever.

My first attempt at a sink pump was just a faucet pump switcheraroo.

It didn't work well. Prime or some such thing. So I went with a cheap Lowes bar sink faucet and a pressure pump.

--Russ
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

The pump puts out a nice amount of water for a nine gallon water tank. It’s a tiny little thing. I can’t imagine it draws very much. There’s a little delay but tolerable. Compared to pumping with one soapy hand :( the location of the button works well but a foot activated switch would be a tad better. The switch is a seirra brand which is margins. It sticks on sometimes. Probably find a better one on eBay.
If the battery lasts a week before needing a recharge I’ll consider the project a success and make a cool faucet for it.
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
KingRichard
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by KingRichard »

Computer water cooler pump is a good idea, wish I'd thought of it. My $40 Amazon pump ended up as a $200 project with 2 water inlets, a deck hose, and soft copper plumbed to the sink from the cargo hold...

1 question, why not just tie the pump into to boats electrical? No wiring near the sink on the M?
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Re:connect to ships power, no reason really. Just thought it might be an easy dodge. The galley does slide, even though I never do that, so wiring would have to take that into account. I’d have had to take the cabinet face off to lead the wires, hook them
Up to the mains, etc. I’m curious to see how long that battery will operate for. I can always connect it to mains later.
Btw my water tank is under the sink. Everything is self contained to that unit.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
Prospect
Deckhand

Post by Prospect »

Russ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:33 am Interesting. A water cooled CPU pump? I would never have thought of that. Very clever.

My first attempt at a sink pump was just a faucet pump switcheraroo.

It didn't work well. Prime or some such thing. So I went with a cheap Lowes bar sink faucet and a pressure pump.

Which pressure pump did you use?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Prospect wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:08 pm
Which pressure pump did you use?

It was years ago. Not available now. I'm sure they make similar pumps now.

It's been working a treat for years.

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2114

I know pressure water is supposed to use more water. And perhaps that is true. However, I can modulate the flow of the tap and it doesn't have to be blasting full to rinse my hands etc. If used properly, my water seems to last a while.

I tried a "switch" on/off like the one above with the switch on the faucet. It annoyed me. Full on or off and it had trouble when air got in the line.

Ix uses his boat for long periods of time and he seems to like to repurpose things. I give him props for his creativity.
--Russ